Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:42 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times

Advertisements

I'm just reminded of the story( I'm sure it was posted here on these boards by somebody pretty wise).
"A young man walked into a town and saw an old man on his front porch. He stopped and asked the old man what kind of people were in this town. The old man said, "well what kind of people were in the town you just came from?" The young man said, "they were cold and unfriendly and rude." The old man said, "well, that's pretty much how people are around here." The young man nodded and kept going. An hour later another young man came by and asked the old man the same question. The old man again asked him what kind of people were in the town he just came from. The young man said, "Oh they were nice people, warm and friendly and very polite." "Well, the old man said, "that's how people are here too, and we'd be happy to have you stay here, if you'd like."
Too often people project their shortcomings on others and blame areas they live for their problems.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'm just reminded of the story( I'm sure it was posted here on these boards by somebody pretty wise).
"A young man walked into a town and saw an old man on his front porch. He stopped and asked the old man what kind of people were in this town. The old man said, "well what kind of people were in the town you just came from?" The young man said, "they were cold and unfriendly and rude." The old man said, "well, that's pretty much how people are around here." The young man nodded and kept going. An hour later another young man came by and asked the old man the same question. The old man again asked him what kind of people were in the town he just came from. The young man said, "Oh they were nice people, warm and friendly and very polite." "Well, the old man said, "that's how people are here too, and we'd be happy to have you stay here, if you'd like."
Too often people project their shortcomings on others and blame areas they live for their problems.

I posted a slightly different version of that story on the Wisconsin forum. Thanks for the compliment that I am "wise".

Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 PM

221 posts, read 994,325 times
It was the professional baseball players who did this, or the fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I am not into sports.......but ........just this week it was the Phillies who helped catch the runaway tarp, at the home teams field. This tarp was swallowing up the people who were laying it down during a storm.
Only "one" of the hometeams players came on field to help.
The news announced that "that is the character of the Philly Players"!!

Old 07-13-2007, 11:53 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
It was the professional baseball players who did this, or the fans?
It was the professional baseball players ........the Phillies..........
Who came out of the dugout to help with the tarp, and to rescue people who got caught up under it............
They all just ran out there........
And the hometeam, ..........only one went out.
( I am not a baseball fan, just saw this a few times on TV and found it interesting)

Old 07-13-2007, 06:54 PM

435 posts, read 1,521,124 times
Philly is slowly killing itself into oblivion. I predict one hot week this august will thrust the city ahead of NYC in terms of raw numbers.

The entire greater Philadelphia region is a total wasteland of rude and closed minded people.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM

221 posts, read 994,325 times
OK, thank you. I figured it was the players- NOT the Phillies fans who helped. Good for those guys, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
It was the professional baseball players ........the Phillies..........
Who came out of the dugout to help with the tarp, and to rescue people who got caught up under it............
They all just ran out there........
And the hometeam, ..........only one went out.
( I am not a baseball fan, just saw this a few times on TV and found it interesting)

Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 PM

58 posts, read 200,491 times
Pennsylvanians are one of the most generous human beings I've met in the country. PA is a beautiful state with spectacular scenery, a state filled with rich traditions and diversity.

Hating PA and leaving the state quickly is one thing. But constant, nonstop whining about how you hate PA gets really tiring to hear, and just gives the impression that you have your own personal agenda.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:59 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,677 times
Living in Pa. most of my life I think people are much friendlier there than other places I've been,thats not saying Pa. doesn't have it jerks everywhere does.But in general Pennsylvanians are friendly.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:09 AM

13 posts, read 84,467 times
To Briarwood: You're right about Philly. Maybe someday Philadelphia will have many museums, colleges & universities (maybe even an Ivy Leaguer someday), 4 professional sports teams with great stadiums, nationally-ranked restaurants, cultural and ethnic diversity, historic landmarks & neighborhoods, etc. But we can only dream, right?
Maybe you should do some reading:
Here's a start...(have someone help you with the multi-syllable words)
Next Great City: Philly, Really @ National Geographic Traveler

Last edited by PoohBrown; 07-16-2007 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-17-2007, 04:25 AM

142 posts, read 578,742 times
Default People in Pa 'can' be standofish...but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrammie View Post
I can't imagine anyone thinking people in Pa. are rude! Move to South Florida and find out what rude is. I'm originally from Pa. and would love to be back there again, but I'm too old for the harsh winters.

You're never too old. Or you can visit during the other 9 months of the year..?
You're right about S. Florida. It can seem bad in comparison. You just have to look harder for the nicer people.. I live in both places, fla in the winter and Pa in the summer. Driving is so much easier in Pa. I can't look in my mirror in Fla without seeing an SUV riding my bumper.

To the other posters-Here in Pa I get alot of jealousy because of my situation. I can't hide my Fla plate?? In Fla I blend in and most never know I will be leaving when the weather gets bad. But it is really beautiful in Pa and there are nice people to be found. People are basically the same everywhere. They have issues and some are rude and some are nice. But you have 2 views outside a jail cell window. You can look up at the beautiful sky and the stars at night or you can stare down at the mud on the ground. Nothing is perfect.

Many People in NEPA do have a chip on their shoulder for whatever reason. But I grew up here, so I understand it better and know It's come along way since then. And it's going to take another long time to go away completly. I think one of the reason Pa people seem so standofish is many families who come from other states, do so with more money and resouces (or maybe I should say a higher standard of living). I make way more in Fla in 6 months than I've ever been able to make here in this political area. And I'm resented for it.

20 years ago when I lived in Pa full time and I was young and broke and fabulous, I resented NYers coming here and scooping up the nice homes with what seemed like pocket change for them. Now I am able to do the same. So what if my whole family is so jealous they don't speak to me. I know how to make my own family in nature and in life..

One thing I've noticed, I like to speak to strangers where ever I go. Actually, I don't see anyone as a stranger just a friend I don't know very well yet. In Pa some find it refreshing. But many look at me like 'why you talking to me(?)'... And still others just pretend they don't hear me. In Florida, you can talk to strangers all day and most expect you to interact with them on one level or another..

Last edited by in2dadark; 07-17-2007 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: add text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania