Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:57 AM

24 posts, read 132,597 times

Advertisements

I've lived in northwestern PA for most of my life.

I can honestly say that I'd leave here in a heartbeat, if I could.

1.) All the towns I've lived in were/are/will soon be financially depressed. (I.E. no work.)

2.) The clientèle of the people is definitely of a lower caliber. (Drugs, violence/crime, unwanted/out of wedlock pregnancies*, etc.)

3.) The weather is absolutely terrible. (Dangerous winters (with heaps of snow and ice) and either moderately cool or extremely warm summers. No happy medium.)

4.) The people generally are rude. (Even if it's just a simple skipping of a "thank you" or worse...I've seen it here. You can tell some of them just thrive on the fact that they think they're important.)

On the plus side, we supposedly have one of the best state assisted medical coverage systems in the entire country. Which is one of the biggest reasons we have such an influx of people (including illegal aliens) at the present time. PA will give you cash assistance. You can get food stamps, WiC, etc. Some states, even if you meet the criteria *will* deny you that. West Virginia happens to be one of those states.

Rents are generally cheaper, especially when you consider the size of the house you're looking at, at any given time. (Apartments...not so much. They're pretty expensive and crappy for what you're given.)

Now I know, the grass only looks greener on the other side, and your results may vary. I'm not saying the cure to all of my ails lies on the other side of the Ohio or WV border. (Screw NY...yikes.) I will say, I've had far more positive responses to job opportunities, housing options, etc in Ohio and definitely West Virginia.

Before you say "West Virginia? It's the poorest state in the union. How can you find a job there?" Well, I should clarify...retail/minimum wage jobs are plentiful in Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Parkersburg, etc. Now, most people wouldn't be willing to do that kind of work, because they want pensions, 401ks, all of that. Well...isn't it better to have something *now* that helps pay the bills until you can get that other job? Heck, who knows, you might even be able to move up the ladder in the retail job. It does happen.

Problem is, my hometown (Meadville) is really bad in terms of a job market. Factories only hire when they need (if you're lucky) and you have to go through a bunch of temp services that generally send you 35-60 miles away! Factories are the main source of employment there...then you've got the fast food and the retail. Problem is, when you apply for the fast food...they say "You have no previous experience with this kind of work? I'm sorry. We can't use a person like you, at this time." The retail spots are all taken by the women. More women have jobs in Meadville than you'd find in other towns of comparable size.

One woman at Wal-Mart has to pay for her household because no one will hire her husband. He was laid off from a tool and die shop due to labor shortages and put in over 30 applications...and no call backs. They went from having a car they just paid off, to getting ready to sell it and filing for Welfare assistance. (She started crying at the register. What was I supposed to do? Tell her to shut up? Glad I didn't though...it proved what I always wondered...)

Speaking of Welfare...it's bad when they send you a letter stating "We're trying to cut down on costs, and in the process we are removing people from the system because they don't require it anymore. Unfortunately, our records were handled incorrectly and we tried to remove you. Your health and food stamp assistance has been restored, with an adjustment to your food stamp level, due to a major lack of employment in this county. Sorry for any inconveniences, any questions, please call: 000 000 0000" (not word for word, but close to it.) That's absolutely ridiculous, and shouldn't happen to anyone. Especially the elderly and handicapped.

Ohio has far more job options, housing in relatively safe locales (well, they do have safe areas, but you have to live out in the middle of nowhere.) and I've only had one bad experience with people in Ohio. Generally they were always warm to me, and actually did say thank you when I'd hold a door, etc.

West Virginia as I stated before, plenty of retail jobs there. Heck, we had a really nice, really beautiful house for $425.00 a month (had to leave due to disability concerns, which we found out later we were wrongfully denied...) and the people are some of the sweetest I've ever met. (Just don't get 'em mad...ooh.)

I've lived in PA, OH, WV, NC and always come back to PA when the chips are down. Why? Because even though we know there's not a lot in the way of personal advancement...you can live in low income and save, save, save and take that money somewhere nice. That's one of the main problems with Meadville (and the surrounding areas)...it's a flophouse mentality. People come in, suck up the resources, get on their feet, and leave.

I'm not saying PA's the butt of the world (we could live in far worse locations. Far, far worse.) and I'm not saying the next two or three states have any answers either, but it's worth a try after most of my life and seeing I've gone absolutely nowhere. It's really sad when you see your old classmates living the above middle income life, and they're pretty content about it too. You ask them and they say "Oh man, I left here like ten years ago. I only come back for family visits...and I see I made the right decision. Look at this place, it's literally dying!" and they're right. It gets you right here *points to gut*

At the end of the day, it all depends on what makes you happy. If you find happiness and peace here...more power to you. If you see the PA that I see, pack up and leave as quick as you can. Adios!

*= which can happen to anyone, don't get me wrong, and I'm not staring down my nose at these people, but I've seen it in my own life. My ex-friends use their children as a Welfare check! They got in and out of drugs. In terms of violence/crime, a neighbor across the street killed his wife with his own birthday present. She bought him a Katana Sword, and he supposedly had a 'Nam flashback and went crazy. Stabbed her right through the heart! ( Meadville Tribune - Police: Banak used sword to stab wife for more information.) and so on and so forth. Not to mention, about two weeks after we moved...someone was shot in the head at the carwash at the end of the street.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 9,354 times
Hi,
Been reading posts about PA, (Lancaster, etc) and have gotten an idea about what the area is like. However, I will be moving there in 2008, with my boyfriend who is from Lancaster. He has asked me to pick a place to live within the (triangle). If you guys and gals would be so kind as to give me the 3 best areas to live within the triangle I really would appreciate it.......We will be taking a trip to PA (Lancaster) at the end of the week and I will be getting a tour of my future home so I would like to have some idea of where to visit. He is leaving it up to me as to where to live.
Small town feel yet an area where the jobs would be within a 30 min drive. I have been looking at Lancaster, York, Strasburg, and Litiz, Harrisburg etc.

Thanks for any help........
LilV3000

Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilV3000 View Post
Hi,
Been reading posts about PA, (Lancaster, etc) and have gotten an idea about what the area is like. However, I will be moving there in 2008, with my boyfriend who is from Lancaster. He has asked me to pick a place to live within the (triangle). If you guys and gals would be so kind as to give me the 3 best areas to live within the triangle I really would appreciate it.......We will be taking a trip to PA (Lancaster) at the end of the week and I will be getting a tour of my future home so I would like to have some idea of where to visit. He is leaving it up to me as to where to live.
Small town feel yet an area where the jobs would be within a 30 min drive. I have been looking at Lancaster, York, Strasburg, and Litiz, Harrisburg etc.

Thanks for any help........
LilV3000
Everybody who has gone to this town has really liked it so sending link
Lititz, PA - Venture Lititz - Americana on the Move
This shows the town, shops, and happening things.......best of luck.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,545 times
Im from new york originally, NOT THE CITY, but the state, all the way over by lake erie. Anyways, I have always lived 10 minutes from the PA border, but about 6 months ago I moved to Pittsburgh. I hate it. I don't mind the Erie area and the people there but I really hate Pittsburgh and have only met a few nice people around. The majority of people here are jerks and the people drive like ****. sorry, but i hate this part of PA.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot032 View Post
I've lived in northwestern PA for most of my life.

I can honestly say that I'd leave here in a heartbeat, if I could.

1.) All the towns I've lived in were/are/will soon be financially depressed. (I.E. no work.)

2.) The clientèle of the people is definitely of a lower caliber. (Drugs, violence/crime, unwanted/out of wedlock pregnancies*, etc.)

3.) The weather is absolutely terrible. (Dangerous winters (with heaps of snow and ice) and either moderately cool or extremely warm summers. No happy medium.)

4.) The people generally are rude. (Even if it's just a simple skipping of a "thank you" or worse...I've seen it here. You can tell some of them just thrive on the fact that they think they're important.)

On the plus side, we supposedly have one of the best state assisted medical coverage systems in the entire country. Which is one of the biggest reasons we have such an influx of people (including illegal aliens) at the present time. PA will give you cash assistance. You can get food stamps, WiC, etc. Some states, even if you meet the criteria *will* deny you that. West Virginia happens to be one of those states.

Rents are generally cheaper, especially when you consider the size of the house you're looking at, at any given time. (Apartments...not so much. They're pretty expensive and crappy for what you're given.)

Now I know, the grass only looks greener on the other side, and your results may vary. I'm not saying the cure to all of my ails lies on the other side of the Ohio or WV border. (Screw NY...yikes.) I will say, I've had far more positive responses to job opportunities, housing options, etc in Ohio and definitely West Virginia.

Before you say "West Virginia? It's the poorest state in the union. How can you find a job there?" Well, I should clarify...retail/minimum wage jobs are plentiful in Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Parkersburg, etc. Now, most people wouldn't be willing to do that kind of work, because they want pensions, 401ks, all of that. Well...isn't it better to have something *now* that helps pay the bills until you can get that other job? Heck, who knows, you might even be able to move up the ladder in the retail job. It does happen.

Problem is, my hometown (Meadville) is really bad in terms of a job market. Factories only hire when they need (if you're lucky) and you have to go through a bunch of temp services that generally send you 35-60 miles away! Factories are the main source of employment there...then you've got the fast food and the retail. Problem is, when you apply for the fast food...they say "You have no previous experience with this kind of work? I'm sorry. We can't use a person like you, at this time." The retail spots are all taken by the women. More women have jobs in Meadville than you'd find in other towns of comparable size.

One woman at Wal-Mart has to pay for her household because no one will hire her husband. He was laid off from a tool and die shop due to labor shortages and put in over 30 applications...and no call backs. They went from having a car they just paid off, to getting ready to sell it and filing for Welfare assistance. (She started crying at the register. What was I supposed to do? Tell her to shut up? Glad I didn't though...it proved what I always wondered...)

Speaking of Welfare...it's bad when they send you a letter stating "We're trying to cut down on costs, and in the process we are removing people from the system because they don't require it anymore. Unfortunately, our records were handled incorrectly and we tried to remove you. Your health and food stamp assistance has been restored, with an adjustment to your food stamp level, due to a major lack of employment in this county. Sorry for any inconveniences, any questions, please call: 000 000 0000" (not word for word, but close to it.) That's absolutely ridiculous, and shouldn't happen to anyone. Especially the elderly and handicapped.

Ohio has far more job options, housing in relatively safe locales (well, they do have safe areas, but you have to live out in the middle of nowhere.) and I've only had one bad experience with people in Ohio. Generally they were always warm to me, and actually did say thank you when I'd hold a door, etc.

West Virginia as I stated before, plenty of retail jobs there. Heck, we had a really nice, really beautiful house for $425.00 a month (had to leave due to disability concerns, which we found out later we were wrongfully denied...) and the people are some of the sweetest I've ever met. (Just don't get 'em mad...ooh.)

I've lived in PA, OH, WV, NC and always come back to PA when the chips are down. Why? Because even though we know there's not a lot in the way of personal advancement...you can live in low income and save, save, save and take that money somewhere nice. That's one of the main problems with Meadville (and the surrounding areas)...it's a flophouse mentality. People come in, suck up the resources, get on their feet, and leave.

I'm not saying PA's the butt of the world (we could live in far worse locations. Far, far worse.) and I'm not saying the next two or three states have any answers either, but it's worth a try after most of my life and seeing I've gone absolutely nowhere. It's really sad when you see your old classmates living the above middle income life, and they're pretty content about it too. You ask them and they say "Oh man, I left here like ten years ago. I only come back for family visits...and I see I made the right decision. Look at this place, it's literally dying!" and they're right. It gets you right here *points to gut*

At the end of the day, it all depends on what makes you happy. If you find happiness and peace here...more power to you. If you see the PA that I see, pack up and leave as quick as you can. Adios!

*= which can happen to anyone, don't get me wrong, and I'm not staring down my nose at these people, but I've seen it in my own life. My ex-friends use their children as a Welfare check! They got in and out of drugs. In terms of violence/crime, a neighbor across the street killed his wife with his own birthday present. She bought him a Katana Sword, and he supposedly had a 'Nam flashback and went crazy. Stabbed her right through the heart! ( Meadville Tribune - Police: Banak used sword to stab wife for more information.) and so on and so forth. Not to mention, about two weeks after we moved...someone was shot in the head at the carwash at the end of the street.

Meadville isn't that bad, not as bad as pittsburgh anyways.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
There will always be bad towns in any state you go to.
Its probably best to research, and visit the town you think you might locate too.
When we use to come here and visit from New Jersey. We'd go home and talk about all the people who would wave from afar.
About the waitress who would talk to you like they knew you forever.
We'd have these converstations at dinner and everyone agreed, how friendly the
people are here.
Some towns will not fit all personalities. Its great if you find the one that fits you.
Many people like cities, you can't talk them into a rural area.
Many just like the quiet, peacefullness of those far off, past the field places.
To each,his own.
I can remember winters where our kids were calling in NJ saying snow was up to the words on the Stop sign..........while we only had just a bit here.
Then again, if your in Mt. Pocono, or Blakeslee.........there will be more snow.
I love the land here, the large acreage you can have. I love the parks and lakes, the entertainment at Wilkes Barre, or in Philly. Not being far to NYC for Broadway.
The many fairs, craft fests, Chriskindelmart, Music fest, Hershey, Lancaster and its history, Gettysburg.The State Parks, the Falls, Skiiing. There is just a ton of things to do.
The towns, like Doylestown, have fairs, bike races, music.
Scranton has all the fun things going on also.
I love this state. It is a rewarding place to bring up children. There is always so child friendly function going on. So much going on that the calendar is full.
Finding the right place........is the key.
But, that goes for many places, not just the beautiful Pa.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
I didn't say they were terrible drivers out of those 25 metro areas, i said they were terrible drivers. The 23 above them may be even worse, but that doesn't mean Pittsburgh doesn't suck, I would surmise that most metro areas have ****ty drivers. Sorry, but I'm basing it on relative ****tiness of drivers across the country, not across the top 25 metro areas.

And no, I don't suck, its not my fault no one here knows how to use turning signals or be a kind sharer of the road. Based on your ****ty attitude I bet your from Pittsburgh, huh?
Well, comparing driving in a city to driving in a small town is like comparing apples and oranges because the styles are completely diffrent. To call out pittsburgh is completely wrong since they are relatively courteous compared to other places I've been, such as actually allowing you to merge, allowing you to go first when you both come to a stop sign at the same time, etc etc.

And no, i'm not from pittsburgh.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
Well, comparing driving in a city to driving in a small town is like comparing apples and oranges because the styles are completely diffrent. To call out pittsburgh is completely wrong since they are relatively courteous compared to other places I've been, such as actually allowing you to merge, allowing you to go first when you both come to a stop sign at the same time, etc etc.

And no, i'm not from pittsburgh.
I'm comparing it to the country as a whole. The fact is there are ****ty drivers in a lot of places, and Pittsburgh is one of them. They are terrible, don't know the rules of the road and pretty much just go as they please. If that is good driving, I am shocked. Ive lived here for 6 months, everyday is the same. Idiots, nothing but driving idiots. I thought Buffalo had bad drivers, but they are nothing compared to pittsburghers.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM

214 posts, read 241,578 times
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Move to Idaho then. You can share the roads with moose and quite crying. Jesus, imagine this crybaby in N.Y.C., Boston, or Philly. We could make that a hilarious reality show.

Also, I believe you're the one with the sh*ty attitude. Holly crap dude. I get a bad vibe from just reading your post. You sure don't act like this in person do you? Your probably just so upset your Bills go spanked last weekend.......haha

Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM

457 posts, read 431,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
I'm comparing it to the country as a whole. The fact is there are ****ty drivers in a lot of places, and Pittsburgh is one of them. They are terrible, don't know the rules of the road and pretty much just go as they please. If that is good driving, I am shocked. Ive lived here for 6 months, everyday is the same. Idiots, nothing but driving idiots. I thought Buffalo had bad drivers, but they are nothing compared to pittsburghers.
Then why don't you move? Why spend your life in a city you hate and surrounded by "idiots"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania