Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
LOL Having lived in other areas, Philly fans have the reputation for being the worst in sports. Does not mean everyone is horrible in the area- they a quite a passionate group, though!
I am not into sports.......but ........just this week it was the Phillies who helped catch the runaway tarp, at the home teams field. This tarp was swallowing up the people who were laying it down during a storm.
Only "one" of the hometeams players came on field to help.
The news announced that "that is the character of the Philly Players"!!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Agree with PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Ok, how many of us are fed up with a new poster showing up here and complaining about how rude everyone in Pa. is?? Not only Pa., but these people sometimes have a long list of other states that they have lived in and they were all rude too.
Why do people post here if they hate Pa.?
Would anyone listen to someone who hated an entire state?
Do they think for one minute that MAYBE IT's ME????
Most people come to this forum looking for help about a new area they are moving to, I honestly hope they don't listen to a word of these 'I hate Pa' people.
These people have bad neighbors, bad bosses, bad jobs, bad lives..and never stop to think that they are the cause of all their misery.
I agree PA.........
There is one poster who seems to hate everything. There seems to be many places, people, and things, that make him unhappy.
I wonder why this person doesn't see any fault in his complaining.
I'd sure hate to moan and groan about where I lived. It would get so old and stale.....There is just so much distain, grim and grit anyone can listen too.
I'd just move as fast as I could, away............
Its a big world out there...........
Because here in Pa.....we have things to LOVE.....
Boating, hiking, rafting, skiing, mountains, state parks, motor boat lakes, coves to swim and fish, fishing, exploring.........how about the caves( Crystal), and the mines. We have history and it can be re-visited........You can go to Gettysburg......and that is really great. Go to Lancaster visit the Amish.........
The outlets, the family dutch style meals. We have shows in Lancaster area that are stunning, like the "Sights and Sounds" and others.
To to Philly ,for the flower show or for some history lessons..........
The Waterfalls that are in many areas.
The environmental centers for children to join and explore.
To mention also we are just a hour and 1/2 to NYC and all the culture there.
There is no time to sit in one town you hate, and profess your hatred.
Get up........go out .........venture.........explore..........
Rather then tattle on your neighbor, or call people rude names.
There is so much to do here........and all the negative people are wasting their time. For the beauty and the wonder of this state is something to behold. The mountains, valleys, and streams will always call you home.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:31 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,198 times
No, berating someone for their opinion that the entire state of Pa is full of rude people is not solidifying their opinion.
When you think the entire state is rude, my precious 5 yr. old neice, my sweet as pie mother, my 'pope material' pastor at the local church (remember, you said EVERYONE!) , the sweet old man down the block, the wonderful doctors and nurses that care for the sick in the hospitals, not to mention myself, a person you have never even met....then there is something wrong with YOU, not the entire state of Pa. I live in Pa and meet nice people everywhere I go. How is it that the naysayers say EVERYONE they meet is rude??
The problem lies with them, it's really quite simple, and definitely not a matter of opinion.
Furthermore, these very same people add nothing to enlighten anyone on this forum. Look back at their posting history. Not one word of help or advice to anyone.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:17 PM

86 posts, read 380,985 times
Being that we're all full of Love in this thread

I have a question being I'm from NJ.

Will the Philly Burbs residents/people "Love" me and accept me if I don't earn a huge salary ($30-$35K/year) and I were to drive an old car?

I'm a 45 year old straight man who can strike a conversation with anyone.

Here's some "Love" back at the people who Love PA

Old 07-11-2007, 09:31 PM

272 posts, read 909,342 times
I can't imagine anyone thinking people in Pa. are rude! Move to South Florida and find out what rude is. I'm originally from Pa. and would love to be back there again, but I'm too old for the harsh winters.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet View Post
Being that we're all full of Love in this thread

I have a question being I'm from NJ.

Will the Philly Burbs residents/people "Love" me and accept me if I don't earn a huge salary ($30-$35K/year) and I were to drive an old car?

I'm a 45 year old straight man who can strike a conversation with anyone.

Here's some "Love" back at the people who Love PA
I think that is one of the things that makes me Love Pa so much.
We are not that all materialistic. What we value is family and friends.
The human side of life.
I think you will do fine in this state. It is a welcoming state.
What you earn ,and what you "have" is so minor an importance.
I have friends of all ages. Sometimes I think the age issues should
bite the dust. What does it matter when one enjoys anothers company.
But, that issue is worldwide and country wide......not just typical of Pa.
Making good conversation is always a great asset anywhere.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 AM

165 posts, read 516,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I think that is one of the things that makes me Love Pa so much.
We are not that all materialistic. What we value is family and friends.
The human side of life.
I think you will do fine in this state. It is a welcoming state.
What you earn ,and what you "have" is so minor an importance.
I have friends of all ages. Sometimes I think the age issues should
bite the dust. What does it matter when one enjoys anothers company.
But, that issue is worldwide and country wide......not just typical of Pa.
Making good conversation is always a great asset anywhere.
Just as an outside perspective: This thread is about hating and judgement and yet is filled with hating and judgement. If someone is so far gone what is crazier: trying to convince them that they are "wrong" or allowing them to be and ignoring them when necessary. The facts are neutral: states either have economic growth or they don't, winter is cold in some places, warm in others. Everything else is subjective. This thread and a few others is going beyond that. Is it worth it? When you start hating the haters aren't you in the same place as them?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy View Post
Just as an outside perspective: This thread is about hating and judgement and yet is filled with hating and judgement.
That was my point exactly. The person that began this thread is complaining about people complaining about Pennsylvanians, most notably that we're all rude. Subsequent people slammed the opinions of everyone who says Pennsylvanians are rude; there also was a bit of name-calling.

Now.

Isn't that rude in itself, to criticize someone merely for expressing an opinion? Doesn't that criticism reinforce the person's belief that all Pennsylvanians are rude?

Seems so to me. And, even if one does believe that not all Pennsylvanians are rude, others who don't hold that belief are still entitled to their opinions and are entitled to express them.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy View Post
Just as an outside perspective: This thread is about hating and judgement and yet is filled with hating and judgement. If someone is so far gone what is crazier: trying to convince them that they are "wrong" or allowing them to be and ignoring them when necessary. The facts are neutral: states either have economic growth or they don't, winter is cold in some places, warm in others. Everything else is subjective. This thread and a few others is going beyond that. Is it worth it? When you start hating the haters aren't you in the same place as them?
Lets hope this is not about "hate".......
Lets hope it is about a gorgeous place with happy people, and we are voicing that.
I hope we are about understanding, always looking for the best in someone.
To see a brighter side.
Now, if someone doesnt' want to, so be it.
But, we are here to speak about our state and other states that we know of, and give our opinions. It is in the thoughts of expression that the disagreements come about. That is what the forum is for.
Hoping that someone can see the brighter side of life, is a natural thing.
Asking them to revisit or look deeper into their angst about a town or location is what we are here for.
If then we can't express that........why come here at all........
Some things said about a towns people was....."beyond rude".........way beyond, and a banning should of been the outcome.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:50 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,694,955 times
There are ways to constructively express negatives about a place or its people without generalizing. If the economy is bad in a certain place that someone is interested in moving to, that's fine to express that to them. If someone encounters a rude employee at a certain business, it's fine to comment on that so that others are forewarned before entering that establishment. However, to generalize and say "everyone" is a certain way is just silly, and I think we all realize how ridiculous it is and we then take the rest of the person's comments with a grain of salt (or an entire salt block), and that person thereby loses whatever credibility they may have had in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania