Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you flee if you were unencumbered?
Yes, get me the hell out of this hell hole 41 58.57%
No, I relish mediocrity 29 41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I chose to live in Philly and will continue to choose to live in Philly. Guess I relish mediocrity
Yeah I plan to retire somewhere in PA and having grown up in Pittsburgh and having spent time in Philly I appreciate both areas. I am hoping Pittsburgh continues to be more retiree friendly, but if that is not the case I have no reservations retiring in the Philly area. PA is a great state for retirees and it looks like my retired parents are staying in the Pittsburgh metro for retirement, even after researching other warmer states/areas. It would be nice to combine all of the best elements of every state, but I also like the autonomy of each state. It is nice to see the pride many show for their city/area on this forum and people who live in PA definitely seem to champion their areas more than some other areas I have lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,885 times
Lived in PA for 23 years, no roots, no ties. Raised in NJ~lived there for 27 years, no roots or no ties. Also lived in Michigan and New York state as a youngster, no roots, no ties to those communities either. LOVED living in PA, had great jobs, nice house, super neighbors, terrific social life, cost of living allowed us to save a decent amount of money, and enjoy a few modest vacations, etc. After I retired DH & I just felt we needed a change so we moved 575 miles (and 2 states) away to be near family. In my whole life I had never lived near my cousin's, grandparent's, extended family, or where my family roots and heritage are deep. We've adapted, secured new jobs and for now are enjoying the adventure. We're giving it 5 years and then we'll decide if we're here to stay or if we'll be drawn back to PA. PA is a beautiful state and I have nothing bad to say about it except that we were growing "tired" of the area and wanted a change. If we hadn't moved here it might have been to another area of PA or south.

We get our fix by returning to visit at least once or twice a year~catching up with people visiting the areas we enjoyed while living there. But there's so much to see and explore in our new home area as well, so we've become tourists in our new area as well.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,746 times
I think some people in certain parts of PA don't realize that millions of their fellow Pennsylvanians do NOT live in economically depressed, isolated coal towns surrounded by small mountains of culm and abandoned strip mines. Therefore our image of Pennsylvania is a positive one.

I don't intend the above sentence to insult any part of the state, but just to illustrate that one's immediate surroundings can color one's view of the entire state in a way that is inaccurate.

Last edited by mancat100; 04-05-2013 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: Add second sentence to clarify.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:12 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I think some people in certain parts of PA don't realize that millions of their fellow Pennsylvanians do NOT live in economically depressed, isolated coal towns surrounded by small mountains of culm and abandoned strip mines.
Just like people in other parts of Pennsylvania don't realize that not every small town and city in the state is economically depressed or an isolated coal town surrounded by ...

Oh ... wait.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Just like people in other parts of Pennsylvania don't realize that not every small town and city in the state is economically depressed or an isolated coal town surrounded by ...

Oh ... wait.
I knew that comment would get me in trouble which is why I added the second sentence. I should have mentioned that I grew up in Central PA, so my view isn't necessarily Philly-centric. Although awkwardly expressed, I stand by my basic point - which is this: just because a person thinks their part of PA sucks, it's not justified to extrapolate that to the entire state.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I think some people in certain parts of PA don't realize that millions of their fellow Pennsylvanians do NOT live in economically depressed, isolated coal towns surrounded by small mountains of culm and abandoned strip mines. Therefore our image of Pennsylvania is a positive one.

I don't intend the above sentence to insult any part of the state, but just to illustrate that one's immediate surroundings can color one's view of the entire state in a way that is inaccurate.
I think that's very true. If you're living in Johnstown, you're likely going to have a very different perspective of Pennsylvania than someone in West Chester (an affluent Philadelphia suburb).

There is no state that is uniform in its living conditions/areas and socioeconomic status.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:43 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think that's very true. If you're living in Johnstown, you're likely going to have a very different perspective of Pennsylvania than someone in West Chester (an affluent Philadelphia suburb).

There is no state that is uniform in its living conditions/areas and socioeconomic status.
i dont think its socioconomic statua that matters but rather opportunity. not everyone from west chester is rich but the area has lots of opportunity for people of all backgrounds. johnstown otoh no longer offers enough oppprtunity for its residents. scranto. as well and its been that way for decades.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM

725 posts, read 1,210,537 times
Lets start of to say Pennsylvania is HUGE. By saying that I do not like Pennsylvania, because I am a Black male, well groomed, very handsome/attractive. But this state is very rasist, aside from Philadelphia, where I reside. South eastern PA is the only part worth living. I've been to central PA, and its the hicks, and that's my observation. PA should be happy they have Philly in there state, or else it would be as good as Alaska(sorry Pittsburgh). Philly area has 75% of the wealthiest zips, and the burg has about 10%.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Lets start of to say Pennsylvania is HUGE. By saying that I do not like Pennsylvania, because I am a Black male, well groomed, very handsome/attractive. But this state is very rasist, aside from Philadelphia, where I reside. South eastern PA is the only part worth living. I've been to central PA, and its the hicks, and that's my observation. PA should be happy they have Philly in there state, or else it would be as good as Alaska(sorry Pittsburgh). Philly area has 75% of the wealthiest zips, and the burg has about 10%.
So everyone outside Philly is "rasist" and poor?

Old 04-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
It's no more racist than anyplace else. Granted, that's not saying much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania