Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you flee if you were unencumbered?
Yes, get me the hell out of this hell hole 41 58.57%
No, I relish mediocrity 29 41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
No more so than the people uncomfortable with minorities who moved to the PA suburbs. And even so, most of the South Jersey hate groups are in the Shore region--far more people permanently migrated from the Shore to Philly than vice versa. The really big concentration of hate groups is in the North.
probably moreso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
probably moreso
What's probably more so? Philly racists --> NJ suburbs? In fairness to NJ, not in my experience--white flight ("legitimate" or "illegitimate") went every which way. Why do you feel otherwise?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
What's probably more so? Philly racists --> NJ suburbs? In fairness to NJ, not in my experience--white flight ("legitimate" or "illegitimate") went every which way. Why do you feel otherwise?
in my experience, in recent decades (as opposed to older white flight which I have no personal experience with) has been more to certain parts of south jersey rather than spread evenly throughout the region.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM

31 posts, read 40,427 times
There's another hate group in PA called the "I HATE NEPA" hate group, consisting of myself and most of my family members. We are tired of living in this uneducated, unemployed, unhealthy, sleezy region. The city of Scranton is broke. My car has been damaged multiple times due to the atrocious roads. The people here can be very rude and miserable. Customer Service is appalling in this region. Finding a well paying job is like searching for gold. The people here get hammered every weekend with frequent DUI's. Summers are crappy... I agree with the other poster's mention of the gloom. If you like minimum wage jobs, bar food, getting hammered every weekend, high taxes with none of the benefits, and depressing weather, move here!

The south is where it is at. More job opportunities, better weather. Many of my family members are looking elsewhere. Thank God, I refuse to die here!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
in my experience, in recent decades (as opposed to older white flight which I have no personal experience with) has been more to certain parts of south jersey rather than spread evenly throughout the region.
That's what I thought,because I don't recall seeing too much of it in central and northern NJ.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAhopeless31 View Post
There's another hate group in PA called the "I HATE NEPA" hate group, consisting of myself and most of my family members. We are tired of living in this uneducated, unemployed, unhealthy, sleezy region. The city of Scranton is broke. My car has been damaged multiple times due to the atrocious roads. The people here can be very rude and miserable. Customer Service is appalling in this region. Finding a well paying job is like searching for gold. The people here get hammered every weekend with frequent DUI's. Summers are crappy... I agree with the other poster's mention of the gloom. If you like minimum wage jobs, bar food, getting hammered every weekend, high taxes with none of the benefits, and depressing weather, move here!

The south is where it is at. More job opportunities, better weather. Many of my family members are looking elsewhere. Thank God, I refuse to die here!
Dam,must've changed alot since my days of driving down Washington St and living in Pittston...

Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
But the sun never stops shining in New Jersey!

I agree! We LOVE it here after putting in almost 90 years between us in pa..

Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
That's what I thought,because I don't recall seeing too much of it in central and northern NJ.
I can't speak for northern and central jersey but actually meant that it's not spread evenly across south jersey. for example, I don't think that collingswood/haddonfield is like that at all.

NEPA definitely drags the entire state down.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I can't speak for northern and central jersey but actually meant that it's not spread evenly across south jersey. for example, I don't think that collingswood/haddonfield is like that at all.

NEPA definitely drags the entire state down.
Yeah I go through Haddonfield all the time and it's actually one of the nicer ( not ghetto) areas of south Jerzee

I lived in NEPA in 1993 and didn't notice as much as I did living in the Allentown area,plus stories I've heard about other parts of the state such as Erie etc...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:58 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
WOW. Nice unbiased options on the poll there, OP.

I personally love Pennsylvania. Beautiful hills and mountains, expanses of quiet country side, people leave you the heck alone, sounds perfect to me.

I grew up in the twin tiers, sometimes in PA sometimes just over in NY, and I loved it. I will admit I had to move because there was no money or economy to speak of; but a lot of places had that problem at the time. I hated leaving, believe me.

I love snow, I love hills, and I love QUIET. But I also like being within an hour or two of some civilization by car (for restaurants or the occasional mall visit). My neck of the woods had all of that.

The twin tiers is quiet, slow and country without being extremely isolated. Heck, a lot of PA is that way. It's my speed, and I can't be the only one.

If I could support myself financially, I would happily live in PA again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania