Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you flee if you were unencumbered?
Yes, get me the hell out of this hell hole 41 58.57%
No, I relish mediocrity 29 41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:48 PM

92 posts, read 67,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Pennsylvania people are usually homebodies and don't often travel or integrate well out of the state,similar to the Amish culture
What? Can you elaborate or were you kidding? I travel all the time and have for most of my life. And when I'm out of state I find myself able to communicate, integrate, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 01:39 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Abby View Post
What? Can you elaborate or were you kidding? I travel all the time and have for most of my life. And when I'm out of state I find myself able to communicate, integrate, etc.
Kidding with a side of truth You're in the minority then because aside from PA being rated one of the least transient states,it should be pretty known that it's generally cultish by nature...in addition I've seen and observed first hand many of the residents don't seem to have much of an interest outside their communities.
Perhaps it's due to their PA Dutch heritage etc...

Old 05-05-2013, 02:55 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
Kidding with a side of truth You're in the minority then because aside from PA being rated one of the least transient states,it should be pretty known that it's generally cultish by nature...in addition I've seen and observed first hand many of the residents don't seem to have much of an interest outside their communities.
Perhaps it's due to their PA Dutch heritage etc...
There's nothing "cultish" about SEPA and PGH is a lot less provincial than it used to be. Maybe what your saying applies more to Central PA and the Lehigh Valley, which actually has PA Dutch heritage.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
There's nothing "cultish" about SEPA and PGH is a lot less provincial than it used to be. Maybe what your saying applies more to Central PA and the Lehigh Valley, which actually has PA Dutch heritage.
Fmr co-worker of mine spent some time in Erie and had mentioned they're like that there too...doing things like not allowing each other to venture too far out of town etc. Kind of sounds like the Amish in the Lancaster area also;

Old 05-05-2013, 03:45 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:
Fmr co-worker of mine spent some time in Erie and had mentioned they're like that there too...doing things like not allowing each other to venture too far out of town etc. Kind of sounds like the Amish in the Lancaster area also;
There is some truth to certain areas of PA being a bit too provincial, but that is far from unique. Smaller, more rural communities are just by their nature much less diverse and tend to be less transient (unless it's some sort of resort or college town).

Outside of major metropolitan areas, social atmospheres tend to get provincial/less cosmopolitan very quickly. That's just humanity, however, and it is a phenomenon that's found all over the world.

To think that only Pennsylvania can be provincial is, ironically, a rather provincial thought in and of itself.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM

5 posts, read 8,076 times
Quote:
Are you like 16?

Old 05-05-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
There is some truth to certain areas of PA being a bit too provincial, but that is far from unique. Smaller, more rural communities are just by their nature much less diverse and tend to be less transient (unless it's some sort of resort or college town).

Outside of major metropolitan areas, things tend to get provincial/less cosmopolitan very quickly. That's just humanity, however, and it is a phenomenon that's found all over the world.
It's not so much that as the mindset here...in my attempted conversations with the natives,things often became limited as they were not able to connect on things such as traveling etc. Heck I remember another time when I lived near WilkesBarre,I asked someone the quickest way to NJ and they implied they didn't even know where it was

Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbadass View Post
Are you like 16?
Why,looking for a playmate?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:01 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,605,875 times
Quote:
It's not so much that as the mindset here...in my attempted conversations with the natives,things often became limited as they were not able to connect on things such as traveling etc. Heck I remember another time when I lived near WilkesBarre,I asked someone the quickest way to NJ and they implied they didn't even know where it was
Maybe they didn't have a very good sense of direction.

Seriously, I do agree that's a bit sad, but again, you're always going to find those types of people who very rarely, if ever, leave their little burgs. Again, that's not unique to any particular (rural/isolated) area, though.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Maybe they didn't have a very good sense of direction.

Seriously, I do agree that's a bit sad, but again, you're always going to find those types of people who very rarely, if ever, leave their little burgs. Again, that's not unique to any particular (rural/isolated) area, though.
Yes but these were people in areas larger than rural...I even encounter that in Philadelphia! Which is obviously part of Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania