Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you flee if you were unencumbered?
Yes, get me the hell out of this hell hole 41 58.57%
No, I relish mediocrity 29 41.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM

67 posts, read 135,252 times

Advertisements

Yes, back to the original topic. I couldn't vote, either, because
- I'm not in PA now.
- I have no family there (I do have PA Dutch roots, but those roots were severed a couple of generations ago).
- I would love to move back.
- I don't think it sucks more than any other state. In fact, it would rank up there in my "Top 10" of states to live in.

But I do take issue with some of those who more or less stated that a person should just bloom where he or she is planted, or that happy people will be happy anywhere, and unhappy people unhappy anywhere. I can't stand "living" in my current state of residence. It is as hard for me to understand the appeal of this place as it seems to be for the OP to understand the appeal of PA. I liked just about everything about the part of PA (Central, with all the "hicks") where I was. There were a few things I didn't like, but overall I found living there so rewarding that I could overlook the few negatives. So my own anecdotal experience is that some places resonate more with some people than other places do. I hope OP can find a way to get away and build a life for himself/herself (sorry, I forgot which) in a place that resonates with him/her.

I suppose if I did have to vote, it would be for the mediocrity of Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 AM

14 posts, read 18,492 times
I never lived in any other state but PA. But I was born in the Philly area and moved to the Pittsburgh area as a child. Where I live in Philly was a clean pretty suburb. I moved to Pittsburgh when the steel mills were booming and the town was just filthy from the mills. Even as a child I noticed it. Also, we moved to a neighborhood where there were a lot of old foreign speaking families. I could not understand what they were saying and I didn't like that either. The kids spoke English because they learned it in school, but at home they spoke their native language because of their parents and grandparents. Now that I have lived here over the years (there have been lots of them) I am enjoying all the different nationalities....their customs and definately the food! That is one thing that is very important to the Pittsburgh area...keeping up the customs of our ancestors. I have visited some other states where I think it would be nice to live, but having family around has won out and we stayed in the area.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 AM

14 posts, read 18,492 times
Actually, we are being visited today from some family members that moved to AZ 20 years ago. I will sit her biting my tongue while they go on and on about how much they hate PA and how wonderful it is in AZ. The fact that one has developed skin cancer from the hot AZ sun does not effect their opinion. But being the wonderful hostess that I am, I will not make a surly comment, but simply smile and say how much I love seeing the green grass and trees and flowers in the spring and summer, the turning leaves in the fall, and the slush and snow in the winter.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:58 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSue2 View Post
Actually, we are being visited today from some family members that moved to AZ 20 years ago. I will sit her biting my tongue while they go on and on about how much they hate PA and how wonderful it is in AZ. The fact that one has developed skin cancer from the hot AZ sun does not effect their opinion..
Wow.

You are aware that people in Pennsylvania get skin cancer as well?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM

71 posts, read 177,503 times
To answer the original question- Yes, I would move from PA if it wasn't for family. (I am planning to move out of state now actually).

That being said I can understand the appeal that PA has for some. I have lived in PA all of my life (26 yr). I grew up in NEPA, went to college in central PA, and currently reside in Pittsburgh so I feel I have seen the best (and worst) PA has to offer for the most part. From my experience a lot of people are comfortable here which I can understand. I personally think PA is a "jack of all trades, master of none" state, where it offers a lot (which Im not going to list, unless requested) but doesn't do any one thing great. And most PA residents are okay with that because of all the options PA offers for a relatively low price.

Someone stated above that PA is in the top ten of their places to live, and I think most of us feel it is a top 10 (to top 20) state. I think the one's who want to move (myself included) are attracted to that states they feel are #1-?? that they put ahead of PA, no matter cost of living or family. (Places like California, NC, Colorado and Tennessee are on my personal list).

The ones who are happy here are content with what PA offers at a very reasonable price. For me, I believe there is a better state out there waiting for me.

That's just my 2 cents.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM

231 posts, read 785,136 times
Don't make false polls, OP. You may hate the state, but there are millions who live there who would say otherwise -- and they are not stupid. Odds are you came to your opinion due to one particular city or region you hate for various reasons, but it's a diverse state. People who love living in Pittsburgh or rural western PA might hate the idea of living in Philly or other urban/suburban eastern-PA locations, and vice versa. I'm one of the former. Lots of good things about Philly, I'm sure, I just don't care for it personally.

I'm a rural NW/N PA guy...love the small towns in the hills, and love going to the Allegheny forest. I moved out west because of a job, but also for the opportunity to explore the country -- not because I wanted out of PA, but just because I grew up there and wanted to see other stuff. And while I love where I live now, I can easily see myself living in PA again.

Last edited by KillerK; 06-05-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 05:06 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Actually, we are being visited today from some family members that moved to AZ 20 years ago. I will sit her biting my tongue while they go on and on about how much they hate PA and how wonderful it is in AZ. The fact that one has developed skin cancer from the hot AZ sun does not effect their opinion. But being the wonderful hostess that I am, I will not make a surly comment, but simply smile and say how much I love seeing the green grass and trees and flowers in the spring and summer, the turning leaves in the fall, and the slush and snow in the winter.
Id probably have to ask them if PA is so awful why are you here? Why don't you invited us to AZ if its so great.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 PM

24 posts, read 51,786 times
Interesting replies and thank you for the honesty.
A bit about ME..
I was born and raised in NJ I have lived in many different area including but not limited to a number of towns in FL, NJ and PA. I have found I loved life most when i lived in NJ. and enjoyed the climate most in FL. I find nothing appealing about this area of PA. the seasonal change is more than I can bare since a head on collision in FL in 1995. maybe I have become sour as a result of this incident. maybe the accident has changed my view on what makes me happy. COLD weather does not. while I find my family the only part of comfort in this area it is no longer enough to hold me here. The area itself has nothing to offer to keep me and the weather and politics of the area aren't what i am accustom to so i will find my future somewhere else.
the replies were interesting to say the least and I did not know i had posted a poll until i just happened onto this site after years of not being online all that much.. very interesting I am aging faster with age and I have found i have not been happy since I moved to this area. my happiest days were when i lived in NJ and some very happy days were in FL. yet there are very few happy moments in this state, and as I get older and less able to tolerate the cold. the more I find i need to leave which I plan to do before the year ends. thank you for your responses and some assumptions which were very interesting... needless to say some way off the mark.. I do know that inner happiness comes truly from within and if the area you live in works against your personality that it will make you miserable. and I used to be the most gregarious person in any room.. certainly cold is not a place for me I am a warm person love the water sun and fun lifestyle.. this is nothing close to what i long for.. snow and ice and brutal cold... i need warmth in every way shape and form.. but thank you for your honest thoughts.. time to find my happiness in a climate that will embrace my true nature.. warm and lovable.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:04 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagosta View Post
I do know that inner happiness comes truly from within and if the area you live in works against your personality that it will make you miserable.
Exactly. I hope you find your climate...personally I find the pacific northwest pretty moderate for that;

Old 03-20-2014, 12:58 PM

104 posts, read 130,650 times
Quote:
After this winter, maybe especially because of the rods in my spine, I don't care if I ever see bitter cold or snow again That's what I like about the area of the Pacific Northwest I want to move to. The town where I am going only gets .8 of an inch of rain more than Philadelphia, hardly any snow and temperatures are moderate year round..not too hot in summer or too cold in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania