Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

As I've traveled thru and to other states, I have been looking for somewhere to retire, and have come to realize, just how financially stressed PA is...also, some woman wrote the same thing, who was considering moving here....and they chose not to, b/c of the poor conditions the roads are in, plus, they are not repairing the roads as they should...at best...all they do, is throw a layer of blacktop over the existing road, and after the next winter or two, boom, right back to where they started. What a waste of money.

Preventative maintenance is no longer in their vocabulary. Back in the 80's what they used to do, was bring in a diamond blade saw, cut out a distressed area in the road, fill it up with stone, and concrete, then blacktop the entire road with overlay.

No more....so, they continue to waste our money, pretending to be repairing roads...while all the roads are falling apart. I believe it's a combination of not knowing what they are doings, and lack of funds....

Yes, they continue to put billions in new roads.... when they can't even keep up with the repairs of our already existing roads.

another problem that sticks out like a sore thumb, as your traveling around PA, you will see, that they aren't trimming the trees and taking care of them. they are letting them grow wild....

PPL just sent a crew thru in my area, and the dummies, cut out the middle of the trees where the lines go thru and leave the rest, and boy oh boy let me tell you, that is not only ugly but is also a waste of the taxpayers money, b/c all the limbs and branches around the wires remain, and in winter can freeze and pull the lines down. I cannot believe the craziness....

Then, they continue to tax gas prices, which is sky high, it's not the gas companies, it's the taxes PA imposes on the gas....

and we keep voting the same people in over and over again. So glad I'm moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 09:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
PennDOT maintains almost as many miles of road as CTDOT, MaineDOT, MassDOT, NHDOT, NJDOT, NYSDOT, PANYNJ, RIDOT and VTrans combined.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
PennDOT maintains almost as many miles of road as CTDOT, MaineDOT, MassDOT, NHDOT, NJDOT, NYSDOT, PANYNJ, RIDOT and VTrans combined.
I and many other residents don't care what other states have, what I care about is PA....and, I worked construction, and I've seen the difference in how they take care of our roads....pathetic....they wanted more money to do so, so guess what they are doing with that money....building new roads, instead of fixing the roads and bridges that are already in disarry, and their guise was, we're taxing gas so we can fix our roads and bridges...yeah right.

Not to mention PPL's idea of trimming away tree branches from their wires. We don't trim trees any longer, we let them grow wild and hope they don't fall on electrical lines in the winter.

Common sense dude.....

Old 05-09-2019, 11:20 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
So glad I'm moving.
Me too. Bye!

Old 05-09-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Me too.
why, b/c I'm not afraid to tell it like it is.....believe me, there are a lot of other people who feel the same way....they tell us they are going to charge more tax on gas for road and bridge repair, and then announce they are building new roads....boy do they ever lie....you can't seem to add anything to the thread so you resort to being a bully....

Old 05-09-2019, 12:00 PM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
Quote:
why, b/c I'm not afraid to tell it like it is.....believe me, there are a lot of other people who feel the same way....they tell us they are going to charge more tax on gas for road and bridge repair, and then announce they are building new roads....boy do they ever lie....you can't seem to add anything to the thread so you resort to being a bully....
It reminds me of this article from a few years ago: 3 Reasons Politicians Like Building New Roads More Than Fixing Old Ones

Old 05-09-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
It reminds me of this article from a few years ago: 3 Reasons Politicians Like Building New Roads More Than Fixing Old Ones
That is understandable and realistic, however, the existing roads are in such bad shape....what should they do, let them go? We paid more taxes for them to fix the roads and the water problems on the roads, which they should also do, perhaps a few a year would suffice to give people hope....however, what they did, by lying to us, was extremely under handed.

the moment your diving back in PA, you can tell right away b/c the roads are so bad....

Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
I and many other residents don't care what other states have...
Of course not, or you'd understand that resources in other states aren't spread nearly as thin.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Of course not, or you'd understand that resources in other states aren't spread nearly as thin.
I'm sorry, but the powers that be, told the residents of PA that they were going to impose another tax on gas for the purpose of fixing roads and bridges, and now they announced NEW ROADS they are going to build....

they lied to us....

all they do any more is put a bandaid on roads by resurfacing, all the while they are deteriorating....

people are getting really sick and tired of the way politicians waste our money.....

Old 05-09-2019, 03:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but the powers that be, told the residents of PA that they were going to impose another tax on gas for the purpose of fixing roads and bridges, and now they announced NEW ROADS they are going to build....

they lied to us....

all they do any more is put a bandaid on roads by resurfacing, all the while they are deteriorating....

people are getting really sick and tired of the way politicians waste our money.....

BYE. we wont miss you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania