Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:21 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I am not leaving the state because the roads are bad, are you kidding me?

yes, I'm glad I'm leaving Pa, not just b/c of the roads, for a ton of other reasons....geeze louise?????
Where do you think that you're going (to go)? You must have something in mind. Surely, you're doing research. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 06:52 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,328,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Where do you think that you're going (to go)? You must have something in mind. Surely, you're doing research. Just curious.
Oh my gosh yes, I've been researching and planning for years, this isn't just a whim, believe me....and yes, I've had this in mind for a very very long time....

thank you.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 AM

14,249 posts, read 9,132,787 times
Quote:
Not to mention PPL's idea of trimming away tree branches from their wires. We don't trim trees any longer, we let them grow wild and hope they don't fall on electrical lines in the winter.
Not just PPL - it's most of the state's electric utilities. I see lots of Y-shaped trees here in Philadelphia too.

And the shame is, we have some of the best horticultural resources in the country in the form of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and the arborists at Longwood Gardens and the arboretums of the Southeast (Morris, Awbury, Tyler...). All the utilities need to do is hire or borrow one of them to train their own tree-trimming crews on ways to prune trees so that the wires survive and the trees look good too.

But I guess that would mean they'd jack up our electric bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Having spent 3/4 of my life as a NYC resident (and driver) my opinion is PA road maintenance is far better than the 5 boros. I’ve yet to hit a pothole in PA that has blown out a tire and caused $1200 in front end damage. Which happened to me more than once driving in NYC. Mind you that’s driving below the speed limit in anticipation of said potholes. Take a trip on the Cross Bronx or the BQE along with city streets and tell me PA roads are worse. 🤷*♀️
I routlnely drive over a washboard off-ramp leading from the Roosevelt Expressway to the street I use to get home when driving.

And in general, I think New Jersey maintains its freeways better than Pennsylvania does.

But I was traveling with a friend on I-280 outside Newark when his car hit a pothole that knocked his left front wheel out of alignment. I'm sure if I asked enough of my friends who own cars, I'd find a similar story here, but so far, I haven't heard one yet. That washboard off-ramp and my remarks about New Jersey notwithstanding, I think Pennsylvania now maintains its freeways better than it used to. But it seems that the OP worked in road construction, so I think I should give their remarks on how PennDOT goes about repairing roads some credence.

Quote:
I am not leaving the state because the roads are bad, are you kidding me?

yes, I'm glad I'm leaving Pa, not just b/c of the roads, for a ton of other reasons....geeze louise?????
You've mainly emphasized the roads here, and I don't think I'd leave a state because its electric companies don't know how to prune trees. What are your other big concerns?

Old 05-13-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
MarketSt
Not just PPL - it's most of the state's electric utilities. I see lots of Y-shaped trees here in Philadelphia too.
You have to wonder why they even bothered, all they've done is cut a whole in the trees and left them looking quit ugly....

However, there is hope....While traveling thru Souderton, I saw, that the shopping center where the Burger King is, have all their trees drastically trimmed, as well as down in Hatfield, where the WalMart Shopping Center is....I was so happy, haven't seen trees trimmed like that in years, but that is how you maintain trees and their limbs....very smart thing to do....people do not trim like that any longer...

Quote:
And the shame is, we have some of the best horticultural resources in the country in the form of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society and the arborists at Longwood Gardens and the arboretums of the Southeast (Morris, Awbury, Tyler...). All the utilities need to do is hire or borrow one of them to train their own tree-trimming crews on ways to prune trees so that the wires survive and the trees look good too.

But I guess that would mean they'd jack up our electric bills.
Yes, it is a shame, my mother had a beautiful tree in her back yard, only b/c she had it trimmed every two or three years....

and yes, they would most likely raise our prices....thing is, everyone is so all fired greedy any more, we don't do preventative maintenance.

Quote:
You've mainly emphasized the roads here, and I don't think I'd leave a state because its electric companies don't know how to prune trees. What are your other big concerns?
Your right, I simply made a comment, that I am glad I'm leaving PA, for many reasons....

My main concerns are the roads....the way they are maintaining them now, is a road to disaster....again, preventative maintenance....all they are doing right now are putting a temporary bandaid on the roads...there are so many weak spots in our roads all over, that eventually the entire road system will need to be repaired....

as I said, years ago, Penn Dot, used to go along and access the roads, and mark the weak spots, then in the summer, we'd come along, cut all those weak spots out, fill them with stone, then concrete and repave the entire road....they don't perform preventative maintenance any longer and when you do that, the entire road will eventually erode...and I've seen it happen to back roads....pot holes all over the place, you can't drive on one side of the road....you have to swerve back and forth over to the other oncoming lane, and so forth....PA is most certainly going to have a big expense on their hands.

This isn't the time to build new roads, what they should be doing is repairing the existing roads we have.
It's been over 25 years sine I worked construction, so you can imagine the damage happening in the roads since then....

also, they are so concerned for our water table, the quality of our water....what people do not know is, the fact that blacktop, concrete, pressure treated lumber, is all toxic and has been washing into our water table for years....eventually our water all over the country will be toxic.

And police protection in PA and all other states is a joke, they keep cutting back on funding for police which is cutting back on our safety.

You want to know why there are so many accidents, is b/c people drive way too fast. They build cars that go way too fast....and it's amazing how bad drivers are out there on the roads....

there is no where anyone can go or move to that is safe, these hazards are facing us all over America.

If there were more police on the roads, there would be less criminal driving....and people want to know why criminals are left go free...what they don't know is, that our prisons are so full, they can't take any more people....

I'm not moving from PA for these reasons....my move from PA was in the planning for many many years....I'm just stating my concerns for PA....as it is a lovely state, close to everything....but, the politicians, do not know what they are doing. As in most states.....

These is a great lose occurring all over our nation....it is a loss of common sense and a know how. Our country is so invested in hiring minorities, that we compromised knowledgeable experience for it, and it's not just Penn Dot, but industry all over the US. We hire contractors who could care less and less, about their jobs, and what we're losing in doing so, is a loyalty to companies, expertise and intellect. In the end, it will cost more to fix....

When you see heavy equipment just sitting and no one is working on that bridge for weeks, and yet the road is closed off, and you call and report it, and the equipment is almost as quickly moved, you know something is wrong...

those are a few of my concerns....

Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 AM

Let me please make this perfectly clear......

I am NOT leaving the state b/c of the roads, or for any other reason, other than personal....so understand, it was simply a statement I made....

Old 05-13-2019, 07:42 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,556,986 times
The roads in NY are even worse than in PA. Just compare I-86/17 to I-80 and you'll see the difference fast. WV roads are also in much worse condition than PA.

PA roads leave a lot to be desired but it is bordered by two states with much worse maintenance. So there's a tiny comfort for y'all at least.

That said, gas pricing is a real big problem for PA.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:44 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,948,873 times
Quote:
These is a great lose occurring all over our nation....it is a loss of common sense and a know how. Our country is so invested in hiring minorities, that we compromised knowledgeable experience for it, and it's not just Penn Dot, but industry all over the US. We hire contractors who could care less and less, about their jobs, and what we're losing in doing so, is a loyalty to companies, expertise and intellect. In the end, it will cost more to fix....

As if there weren't plenty of minority-owned companies, and adept minorities that could be trained easily and have the drive, to do the job correctly.

I find your post offensive, and I'm starting to realize that there is a deeper agenda to this thread.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,254,222 times
Quote:
Let me please make this perfectly clear......

I am NOT leaving the state b/c of the roads, or for any other reason, other than personal....so understand, it was simply a statement I made....
I believe you still made a helova good UNION wage for years and probably nice pension. Now at retirement...... you want to dog on PA and used roads and PenDot and conditions as part of the reason. You used it so it became the topic and main reason.

Many states have similar situations. Especially if they have as complex a road system that experiences winters and salt mixture uses as we do.

It would have been better not to vent with bitterness that you leave PA. At least here .... your retirement isn't taxed. So make sure you choose a state that doesn't.

You could have said in retirement I'm moving on. A milder winter state. Fond memories of PA I will take with me. Just sadly, PA roads I must say I'm disappointed with as I worked with many crews on them.

Not the bitterness in your OP post that shows you will leave with baggage. But good luck.....

Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post

As if there weren't plenty of minority-owned companies, and adept minorities that could be trained easily and have the drive, to do the job correctly.

I find your post offensive, and I'm starting to realize that there is a deeper agenda to this thread.
well, I'm sorry you find this offensive, it is information that I've learned along the way, however, this thread isn't about that....

I'm including all of the US in that, minorities included...there is no deeper agenda, however, if you think that way already, I am unable to change your mind....so

Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I believe you still made a helova good UNION wage for years and probably nice pension. Now at retirement...... you want to dog on PA and used roads and PenDot and conditions as part of the reason. You used it so it became the topic and main reason.

Many states have similar situations. Especially if they have as complex a road system that experiences winters and salt mixture uses as we do.

It would have been better not to vent with bitterness that you leave PA. At least here .... your retirement isn't taxed. So make sure you choose a state that doesn't.

You could have said in retirement I'm moving on. A milder winter state. Fond memories of PA I will take with me. Just sadly, PA roads I must say I'm disappointed with as I worked with many crews on them.

Not the bitterness in your OP post that shows you will leave with baggage. But good luck.....
the money I made has nothing to do with 25 years later and the quality of work on the roads....and believe me, many many people complain about the pot holes and the money it has cost so many people for repairs on their cars....

yes, I made good money for those times, but, worked like any other laborer, and even then I had Penn Dot people come and tell me, how our roads and bridges were crumbling....what bothers me, is how PA leaders lied to us....full well knowing they were going to build NEW roads....and to hell with the ones that are in dire need of repair.

This thread came about b/c a woman and her husband were thinking about moving to PA and believe me, they did their homework....they toured all of PA, to decide where they wanted to live, and they noted how distressed our roads were.

I don't care how many roads PA has, or what the roads are like in WV, MD, DE, or any other state, this thread is about the roads in PA....

what I care about is the new taxes they just imposed on our gas, AGAIN, under the guise that they were going to fix our roads and bridges not build brand new roads with that money.

There are pot holes all over the place, that tri-axels and semi's travel, and all PA does is fill them with PATCH, and before long, they are sinking and blown clear again by these trucks.

You want to get defensive, I get it, however, the proof will be in the pudding in 5 - 10 more years if Penn Dot doesn't get their act together, and I mean that....they will continue to raise the tax on gasoline, at whose cost? OURS!!!! Again for repairs....and now your adding newer roads to the mix.....so....

Old Rt. 309 is nothing but patch, here patch there....and 113 into Souderton, including Souderton roads, well point blankly, PENN DOT should be ashamed, they are terrible....breaking up all over the place....

and the money I made sir, back when I was earning a wage as a laborer with the union, has nothing to do with the issues at hand, does it?

We're not discussing many other states, the issue here is PA and what Penn Dot plans to do about it.....instead of hiring contractors to tell you what to do, why don't you guys repair roads like you used to....to last....instead of building new ones when old roads are in distress and in dire need of repair.

and oh yes, I'm leaving, but again, it was planned, many years ago....so....am I glad I'm leaving behind all these pot hole ridden roads, yes...indeed....I'm tired of the front end alignments....however, where I'm going I do know for a fact, their roads are way better...whew...and that isn't bitterness, that is relief....

You can attack me with bitterness yourself, your angry b./c I'm bring this out in the open....enough people in PA complain about this problem constantly, its no secret....so....be bitter, but not at me, at the money that is being wasted....yearly....our money.....when I was working construction, 25 years ago, they kept imposing taxes on gasoline, stating it was for road repair, and I can remember many years there was no work, b/c that isn't what it was allocated for....so....the first one I remember was when they said their was a gas shortage, and we were waiting in line, and that gasoline tax was imposed all over PA....

The billions they are making on gasoline, is unbelievable....and now they announced the new roads they are building.....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 05-13-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania