Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 04:41 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

You know you can Bully someone all you want just because you disagree with them because you can't come up with any other logic or debate. There was a woman from out in the West Coast somewhere who wrote in this very forum the same things I'm saying they were going to move here but decided not to why for all the reasons that I said they noticed it too and they spent a lot of time going through the Lehigh Valley Bethlehem, Milford Broadheadsville all over Pennsylvania, I won't miss the crooked politics either. When I worked construction this state repaired roads to last. we built roads we repaired roads and bridges they don't do it anymore they take our money and just resurface which only breaks up the following year and they throw patch in the holes which of course doesn't last. The cricket politics of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia will someday have to answer for all the money they're taken from people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 06:17 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Having spent 3/4 of my life as a NYC resident (and driver) my opinion is PA road maintenance is far better than the 5 boros. I’ve yet to hit a pothole in PA that has blown out a tire and caused $1200 in front end damage. Which happened to me more than once driving in NYC. Mind you that’s driving below the speed limit in anticipation of said potholes. Take a trip on the Cross Bronx or the BQE along with city streets and tell me PA roads are worse. 🤷*♀️

Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Having spent 3/4 of my life as a NYC resident (and driver) my opinion is PA road maintenance is far better than the 5 boros. I’ve yet to hit a pothole in PA that has blown out a tire and caused $1200 in front end damage. Which happened to me more than once driving in NYC. Mind you that’s driving below the speed limit in anticipation of said potholes. Take a trip on the Cross Bronx or the BQE along with city streets and tell me PA roads are worse. ��*♀️
It hasn't happened to me, but I have needed a front end alignment...but I know people who have suffered far worse damage. I guess it depends on where you are...they maintain the main roads pretty nicely, it's the back roads that are horrible....and believe me, I have seen it and driven them. And they still are...and will be in the future if they don't tear up the roads in question and fix them properly.

I've lived in PA all my life, and all over PA, vacationed in many areas of PA so? I don't know what roads you drive on, but believe me, Rt. 113 and old route 309 are terrible and they've been reported. The bypass on Rt. 309 is terrible....Cathill Road is embarrassing, you have to swerve all over the road to get passed the pot holes. and this road has been reported. they were repairing a tiny bridge and had the road closed all winter, and in spring, no one was working there, but the road was still blocked, so I reported it, everything was moved within the next 3 days.

They've had other roads closed because of bridge repair, not replacement, and those roads were closed for months...doesn't take months to repair a bridge.

This wasn't the fault of Penn Dot, but in Telford, PA they tarred and chipped a side street? What a total waste of resources...all that stuff does is put black stains on your cars and washes away, into ground water.

I haven't been to NY in a long time, so I can't argue what you've said, but....I can certainly attest to the poor conditions of the roads in PA

Old 05-10-2019, 07:24 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
You know you can Bully someone all you want just because you disagree with them because you can't come up with any other logic or debate. There was a woman from out in the West Coast somewhere who wrote in this very forum the same things I'm saying they were going to move here but decided not to why for all the reasons that I said they noticed it too and they spent a lot of time going through the Lehigh Valley Bethlehem, Milford Broadheadsville all over Pennsylvania, I won't miss the crooked politics either. When I worked construction this state repaired roads to last. we built roads we repaired roads and bridges they don't do it anymore they take our money and just resurface which only breaks up the following year and they throw patch in the holes which of course doesn't last. The cricket politics of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia will someday have to answer for all the money they're taken from people.
I'm not sure I would leave a state due to road conditions or a concern for the financial state of the state. Be aware that while PA has the highest gas tax in the country, it also has the lowest personal income tax of all the states that have a personal income tax. And, as a retired person, neither Social Security nor pension/IRA income are taxed at the state or local level.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:50 AM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
Welp, moved down here about a year ago. No matter what state you go into, you will find crappy roads. Now mind you I haven't gone down the roads you have gone down, but I haven't found the other roads, side roads to be that different and a lot of cases much better than other states I have travelled in or gone down.

You will find politics on par as well, good politicians, bad uns.

If you aren't happy here, find a new home...don't mean to sound mean. But make it temporary while you figure out the benefits and negatives of new states, areas etc.

I love it here, and wished we had found SE Pennsylvania earlier in our lives. Have found when you are willing to contribute/be of help to the community, folks will take you into their hearts. Are there warts here, yeah. But I have found way too much to keep me here forever.

Get some paper and write down a list of what you want in a state...what you cannot accept.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:01 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medievalbooks View Post
Welp, moved down here about a year ago. No matter what state you go into, you will find crappy roads. Now mind you I haven't gone down the roads you have gone down, but I haven't found the other roads, side roads to be that different and a lot of cases much better than other states I have travelled in or gone down.

You will find politics on par as well, good politicians, bad uns.

If you aren't happy here, find a new home...don't mean to sound mean. But make it temporary while you figure out the benefits and negatives of new states, areas etc.

I love it here, and wished we had found SE Pennsylvania earlier in our lives. Have found when you are willing to contribute/be of help to the community, folks will take you into their hearts. Are there warts here, yeah. But I have found way too much to keep me here forever.

Get some paper and write down a list of what you want in a state...what you cannot accept.
This is what I was thinking, too. No matter where you go, you can't escape bad roads and lying politicians. Some states are worse than others about it, but it's everywhere. I'd put PA in the better half.

Before moving to another state permanently, try living there temporarily and see if it's really any better than where you're coming from.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
It hasn't happened to me, but I have needed a front end alignment...but I know people who have suffered far worse damage. I guess it depends on where you are...they maintain the main roads pretty nicely, it's the back roads that are horrible....and believe me, I have seen it and driven them. And they still are...and will be in the future if they don't tear up the roads in question and fix them properly.

I've lived in PA all my life, and all over PA, vacationed in many areas of PA so? I don't know what roads you drive on, but believe me, Rt. 113 and old route 309 are terrible and they've been reported. The bypass on Rt. 309 is terrible....Cathill Road is embarrassing, you have to swerve all over the road to get passed the pot holes. and this road has been reported. they were repairing a tiny bridge and had the road closed all winter, and in spring, no one was working there, but the road was still blocked, so I reported it, everything was moved within the next 3 days.

They've had other roads closed because of bridge repair, not replacement, and those roads were closed for months...doesn't take months to repair a bridge.

This wasn't the fault of Penn Dot, but in Telford, PA they tarred and chipped a side street? What a total waste of resources...all that stuff does is put black stains on your cars and washes away, into ground water.

I haven't been to NY in a long time, so I can't argue what you've said, but....I can certainly attest to the poor conditions of the roads in PA
'm in Carbon County. We acutally have many back roads (state/local) that aren't paved. We stumbled across one for the first time on a random Sunday drive day.

Many of the roads by me get oiled and chipped each spring. That's something I never saw before moving to NEPA. From what a neighbor who works for PennDot told me it's mainly used to extend surface life. Is that true, no idea but I'm glad to not live on one of those roads. My car is dinged enough from driving to/from NYC every day.

I went to college down in Gettysburg (and have family in the surrounding area). That area, imo, actually has some of the best roads I've every driven on.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:48 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I'm not sure I would leave a state due to road conditions or a concern for the financial state of the state. Be aware that while PA has the highest gas tax in the country, it also has the lowest personal income tax of all the states that have a personal income tax. And, as a retired person, neither Social Security nor pension/IRA income are taxed at the state or local level.

That's RIGHT!! Also, I love a great deal of the scenery, the 4 seasons, and having world-class medical care. Good enough for me!

Old 05-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
That's RIGHT!! Also, I love a great deal of the scenery, the 4 seasons, and having world-class medical care. Good enough for me!
I am not leaving the state because the roads are bad, are you kidding me?

yes, I'm glad I'm leaving Pa, not just b/c of the roads, for a ton of other reasons....geeze louise?????

Old 05-12-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
'm in Carbon County. We acutally have many back roads (state/local) that aren't paved. We stumbled across one for the first time on a random Sunday drive day.

Many of the roads by me get oiled and chipped each spring. That's something I never saw before moving to NEPA. From what a neighbor who works for PennDot told me it's mainly used to extend surface life. Is that true, no idea but I'm glad to not live on one of those roads. My car is dinged enough from driving to/from NYC every day.

I went to college down in Gettysburg (and have family in the surrounding area). That area, imo, actually has some of the best roads I've every driven on.
Gettysburg, is a huge tourist area, yes, the roads are going to be in good shape....take a ride to some of the smaller communities, and travel their local roads....

You may not agree, but there are a lot of people who do.....who travel these roads every day.....some of them are really falling apart, pot holes everywhere....

Travel north or south on the Rt. 3-9 bypass.....travel down 113 going into Souderton, and all thru Souderton
Perkasie, and old 309 going in and out of Souderton.....Terrible roads.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania