Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzykins View Post
No... Lititz is now being populated with executives from Philly looking for quaint and cheaper housing. I saw this first hand from the Pharma industry...
more like midlevel mgmt...executives.can afford big homes closer to work. that may be who.is moving there now buy the past few decades have been white flight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:17 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
more like midlevel mgmt...executives.can afford big homes closer to work. that may be who.is moving there now buy the past few decades have been white flight
You're right, pman. Most of the money guys buy a house in Montco or Upper Bucks counties. Honestly, we probably could've bought a house closer to Philly and spent more but we didn't want to be house poor and maybe dig ourselves a hole when the girls go to college. Lititz seemed to have the best of everything that we wanted so we moved here. Cheap housing, close to major highways and shopping, low crime, etc.

We just never thought the people here would be so ignorant and mean.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM

53 posts, read 84,933 times
I'm telling you all, if prizes were given for the most rotten people in one area, this area would win first prize hands down. No contest. Here's another absolutely true example. (I have witnesses) About a year ago when I bought my home it was vacant, so I never met the owner in person until the day of settlement. He was an older man in his 80's & stated he had lived in this house for 20 yrs. so it was hard to leave. I told him I truly appreciated how that felt, since just 6 wks. prior I left my home of 30 yrs. I told him the pain of giving it up was sometimes so overwhelming that I thought my heart would just break. Literally. I could not have been more kind to him. He mentioned he had traveled the world over & the only country he had not visited was Italy. I asked why since it's so beautiful & he said "Because there were too many Italians there!" I cannot stress how hard it was to hand over a very large check to this man for the house purchase since he was completely aware my last name WAS ITALIAN. The twisted son of a *#$%^)! just smirked at me. The realtors were probably silently praying I wouldn't walk. They were mortified. Welcome to Lancaster, Donna. This was my first BIG CLUE that this place might really stink.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:48 AM

18 posts, read 58,374 times
Thanks back for the validation Donna. It cost me more than people know living on that good land with vile people. I'm German by name but we are not like these...we are Polish, Italian, German, Irish...and would never be like this ugly sect.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM

I'm not sure if some of people here practice at being mean or they're just born like that. I had nasty comments made to me after neighbors found out that I fought in Iran during Desert Storm. I used to be treated better on Philadelphia street corners then I am here.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:20 PM

18 posts, read 58,374 times
Philly has a reputation for being a tough town but when regularly visiting Northeast around Mayfair I found the local diners and supermarket folks to be so friendly. Lancaster is like Children of the Corn if you think about it. I actually went to counseling over being so depressed in this town and they agreed that the locals are somewhat impossible. My self esteem got perpetually worse until I finally got out. I felt like one of those Amish kids that broke off and is now shunned by the community.

They should warn newcomers of the hazards this place has to your mental health!

Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schultzykins View Post
Philly has a reputation for being a tough town but when regularly visiting Northeast around Mayfair I found the local diners and supermarket folks to be so friendly. Lancaster is like Children of the Corn if you think about it. I actually went to counseling over being so depressed in this town and they agreed that the locals are somewhat impossible. My self esteem got perpetually worse until I finally got out. I felt like one of those Amish kids that broke off and is now shunned by the community.

They should warn newcomers of the hazards this place has to your mental health!
I'm sorry you had to go through all that, schultzykins. I'm assuming the counselor you found wasn't in Lancaster County; otherwise he/she would be telling you that you're the problem.

I lived in Mayfair prior to moving here so I know the people are friendly and down to earth. Try dinner at the Mayfair Madrid next trip.

I think this thread should be enough warning for others considering moving here.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
Thanks JAZZD123. I live in Lancaster PA & it has by far the strangest & scariest people. By scary I mean the way they look @ you when they detect your accent. They want NOTHING to do with outsiders; very cold people. Complete lack of basic social skills. Not a warm & friendly place to live if your family has not been here for 500 years & your last name is not German.
I'm really sorry you were/are being treated this way, Donna. I can say with absolution that I feel your pain. However, there ARE some good, decent and accepting people here. You just have to look a bit harder.

BTW, I have German friends and they are nothing like the German descendants in Lancaster County. My wife and I are visiting Germany later this year and I look forward to it.

Last edited by Gil3; 02-11-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna113 View Post
Thanks to everyone for making me feel better. This place is still the place that time forgot & still should be called Ignorantville or Creepytown, but at least I know it was not only me noticing this crap. Sure wish I had found this website sooner. I will stop being kind & polite to these people; it was a waste of effort on my part & they do not deserve it anyway. Even though it may not happen I am going to make it my mission to look around at other places to call home. It will give me some hope, & nothing wrong with that.
Don't stop being who you are or you will eventually become like the people that treat you bad. I tried it when I first moved here and it did not work. If people want to behave a certain way, they are more than welcome to. I can't or won't try to change anyone. However, I won't let anyone change the accepting and warm person I am, ever.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
If I may Donna, don't lower yourself to anyone's level. Continue to be the good person you are and better things will happen for you. I'm really not sure if the people are any better in other towns in Lancaster County. I can only judge the people I've met in Lititz. I still say "please" and "thank you" and hold doors for others and I won't stop because the environment I'm in promotes ignorance. I've gotten so many headaches by shaking my head in disgust here that I buy Aleve by the case full.

It just goes to show that no matter how much research you do on the Internet you really don't know a town until you live there, and at that point, it's usually too late.
I agree..Unfortunately, the system won't let me rep you for this, LM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania