Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM

373 posts, read 645,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post

Like I said earlier in this thread it really is a catch 22. I don't want to pay for people to make bad decisions or pay their bills. I also don't want kids starving- they didnt ask to be born.But there is something seriously wrong with the fact people are incentivized to have children and penalized for not having them.
Situations change. When I had my first child, I lived in a 400k house and had a husband that made very good money. Should I have predicted that we would divorce and not had my daughter? I do not own a crystal ball and life is made up of chances. Some pay off and sometimes you have to struggle for a bit to get back up. I am thankful I am able to collect assistance and not pay high taxes while I m getting back up on my feet. Until you have kids, it is really incomprehensible how expensive they really are to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 19,015,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Does this really work? I don't know anyone that personally has it and you know the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, then..."
Yes, it works and you don't have the problem with poor reception (or cancer), naturally. We use it for our longer conversations. We give that number to most people and use the cells only for people we must hear from immediately.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
How do we afford things? Well, for starters, I do without a lot of things, even things that are essential.

Visits to dentist are rare. I am long overdue.

Clothes: no splurging here. Basically jeans and such. Second hand when it works. Buy new if real cheap and set stuff aside.

Use it up or do without.

No idiotic junk food or fast food. No food products, just basic foods. Coupon clip and make cheap eats from scratch.

Vacations: what's that?
This is pretty much how I lived while working. I invested for my retirement.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
. . .

Like I said earlier in this thread it really is a catch 22. I don't want to pay for people to make bad decisions or pay their bills. I also don't want kids starving- they didnt ask to be born.But there is something seriously wrong with the fact people are incentivized to have children and penalized for not having them.
This is my worry. The parents have kids to game the system, and the kids learn from the parents, so you have an ever increasing population of people who are rewarded for having children.

That just has to stop. If kids are hurt it will be only one generation and after that the adults will not have them.

We are at a time in the economy of decreasing jobs, decreasing tax revenue. It's no longer a matter (which was a possibility in the past) of getting an education or training of some sort for these people and their children. That's not an option.

We are left with penalizing them for family size - if, when they had them, they could not adequately provide for them in the foreseeable future.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
luggage isnt that expensive
its not like you're gonna use it once and chuck it overboard
cruise clothing? wear normal clothes. and how much junk can you really buy on a cruise?
Two cars, an inground pool, a summer place, manicured grounds, better schools for the kids, etc, etc, etc. Before you know it, you are working a great deal for your possessions and they own you.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,175,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
Situations change. When I had my first child, I lived in a 400k house and had a husband that made very good money. Should I have predicted that we would divorce and not had my daughter? I do not own a crystal ball and life is made up of chances. Some pay off and sometimes you have to struggle for a bit to get back up. I am thankful I am able to collect assistance and not pay high taxes while I m getting back up on my feet. Until you have kids, it is really incomprehensible how expensive they really are to support.
i said they are extremely expensive and that's something way too many people who have them ignore. why should i be financially punished for not having kids while people who have them get financially rewarded?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,175,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Two cars, an inground pool, a summer place, manicured grounds, better schools for the kids, etc, etc, etc. Before you know it, you are working a great deal for your possessions and they own you.
what are you talking about? the quote i responded to was the person saying luggage and cruise clothes are expensive which is not true at all. in fact you don't even need cruise clothes.if you own clothes you only wear on a cruise then you better be rich and have no right to complain about anything having to do with money.
i agree people often underestimate the costs of their possesions and end up being owned by them, but the luggage/clothes example was awful.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,834,084 times
Quote:

There have been some changes to the system in certain programs where having additional children when on assistance is no longer an a bigger home or more cash.

At one time... the difference between a 2 bedroom housing voucher and a 3 bedroom housing voucher went as follows.

Two Bedroom Voucher... Parent with either two boys or two girls

Three Bedroom Voucher... Parent with a son and a daughter.

The latter was found discriminatory based on gender so now Housing goes strictly by family size and not gender.

If a parent has another child while on assistance more often then not... the parent will have to share a bedroom with a child or the parent will have to use the living room as a place to sleep.

I do know people that planned having a child to get from the projects into a house...

Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
Years ago one study put the figure at 160k per child to age 18 and more if college bound.

I don't know what the answer is. Almost all the rentals I managed at one time with single parent households received assistance...

Contrast that to only a single one parent family receiving assistance and the one parent was in a wheel chair.

The single parents I know without assistance all have very good jobs... they can afford the $1500 a month daycare... mostly professionals in upper management...

Going it alone is more than twice as hard because it's all on you.

My Grandmother volunteered for years at the Booth Memorial Home for unwed mothers... she couldn't say enough times to choose carefully... there are so many things than can trip a person up in life so be careful not to add any along the way...

Old 12-02-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is my worry. The parents have kids to game the system, and the kids learn from the parents, so you have an ever increasing population of people who are rewarded for having children.

That just has to stop. If kids are hurt it will be only one generation and after that the adults will not have them.

We are at a time in the economy of decreasing jobs, decreasing tax revenue. It's no longer a matter (which was a possibility in the past) of getting an education or training of some sort for these people and their children. That's not an option.

We are left with penalizing them for family size - if, when they had them, they could not adequately provide for them in the foreseeable future.
In some cases it becomes a way of life when several generations know no other way...

What do you say to someone that is a Grandparent at 31? Just how much harder is it when children are raising children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance