Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,178,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
I was a teenager in 1994 when I got my first cell phone. They have been popular for a good two decades not a decade.
you may have had one but most people didnt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 AM

837 posts, read 1,802,538 times
Quote:
Situations change. When I had my first child, I lived in a 400k house and had a husband that made very good money. Should I have predicted that we would divorce and not had my daughter? I do not own a crystal ball and life is made up of chances. Some pay off and sometimes you have to struggle for a bit to get back up. I am thankful I am able to collect assistance and not pay high taxes while I m getting back up on my feet. Until you have kids, it is really incomprehensible how expensive they really are to support.
1. My heart goes out to you.
2. Yea, I had NO CLUE what kids cost until I had them. I remember in high school some anti-pregnancy poster said something like 'The average kid costs $280 a month to raise, how much is your allowance'? I'd like to know where the hell I can raise a kid for that price!!

Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 AM

344 posts, read 428,845 times
A cell phone in 94? There were very few people that had cell phones, much less a teenager.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM

15,906 posts, read 21,554,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I feel the same way, esp. about Whole Paycheck. I went there a couple weeks ago with a gift card and was APPALLED at the prices. And by the fact that it was jam packed. All I could think was 'where are all these people getting all this money???"
Whole Foods often has good sales. I doubt most people are following them, but I certainly do. For instance, since battling cancer, I try to only eat organic, hormone free meats and dairy. Cancer treatment and the virtue of being young and in my first job makes me pretty poor, so I only eat meat a few times a week and rarely have dairy. However, when Whole Foods runs a sale on their meat, you can get a really good deal. A few weeks ago, I bought a few whole organic chickens to freeze for cheaper than I would pay for run-of-the-mill chicken at the grocery store. And then I use ALL of it - breasts for salad, dark meat for chicken pot pie, bones for stock, drippings and rendered skin for schmaltz.

I also can make out well on "specialty" grains like quinoa and black rice - or even just lentils and other beans - in the bulk bins. You can buy a little box of quinoa at the regular grocery store for $5 while you can get more than a pound of it for the same price in the bulk bins!

I also like to peruse their prepared foods to see how I can make them at home for cheaper. For instance, one of my favorite cheap meals is a quinoa, black bean, and corn "shake up" that sells at Whole Foods for $6 but I can make at home for under $1 a serving and bring to work for lunch. And one of my staple items in the summer is a low-fat guacamole that I once found at whole foods that replaces part of the (much more expensive) avocado with about 10 cents worth of cooked and mashed dry split peas.

Thank goodness my roommates really only use the freezer to store ice cream, or else I wouldn't have room! Never count out specialty stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's because while they might not make sense for a full grocery trip, they often work out to get you higher quality food for much cheaper -especially if you are like me and also have an Aldi's and Costco nearby to do the bulk of your shopping.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 PM

373 posts, read 645,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
A cell phone in 94? There were very few people that had cell phones, much less a teenager.
16 million Americans had cellphone service in 1994. That is not very few.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,178,031 times
16 million is very few when you're talking about a country as big as the US.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,187,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
you may have had one but most people didnt
I didn't have my first cellphone until 2000 when I was already a full time working adult, and even then I thought I was pretty special...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:19 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post

Actually, many people had teenagers in '94.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM

344 posts, read 428,845 times
Quote:
16 million Americans had cellphone service in 1994. That is not very few.

6% of the population, Id say thats a few.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:05 PM

18,569 posts, read 15,699,043 times
Shared housing, no car, cheap food, etc. We graduate students can get by without going into debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance