Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 12:03 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
This is for a one parent family of three. People should get nothing for children that they decide to have while on government assistance. Only kids existing outside of the system for a year or more should be taken care of. That may be harsh, but it would stop up that gap that is taken advantage of.

Do I blame people for gaming the system? Heck, no. The wealthy take advantage of loop holes all the time and the poor have so few of them. On the other hand, it is the middle class that pays for those who scam the system and we should have a right to fight back.

I have no problem with people who have tried hard, limiting family size, picking viable majors in college, etc, and helping these people out. I do have a problem with people with more kids than they can support who majored in college in basket weaving. These people should learn to make wise choices, and that is by living with the repercussions of their decisions.
I agree to a point, but I think exceptions should be made if you have to go on leave or quit a job due to a high-risk pregnancy. Unfortunately this was my situation with my second and last child
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Does this really work? I don't know anyone that personally has it and you know the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, then..."
It does work, but it's not always reliable

Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty12 View Post
That is not true. I never buy alcohol, never smoked and have never tried drugs. I use coupons and sales to stretch my food stamps.
Me too, and I do the Kohl's thing too. Do you use couponing boards and Savingstar too?

Last edited by faeryedark; 12-02-2012 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 01:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Does this really work? I don't know anyone that personally has it and you know the old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, then..."
I would think that having to have a high-speed internet access would negate the savings on phone calls. Even if you have a lot of long distance each month, you can buy phone cards where long distance is 1 cent a minute, so you would have to make about 600 hours of long distance calls per month to justify the expense (assuming that your internet is $60 a month, which is about right, I think).

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM
xcv

22 posts, read 36,272 times
The world has changed. High speed internet is the communication method along with smart phones. If one is not up with the times they do get left behind.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,749,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcv View Post
The world has changed. High speed Internet is the communication method along with smart phones. If one is not up with the times they do get left behind.
I guess I'm one that has a least one foot in last century...

Never lived in a house with cable... have rabbit ears for my Zenith TV... never owned a Smart Phone and don't have cell phone... right there I'm saving over 2k a year compared to what some of my friends pay...

I'm on my third computer... a $199 special... the old Win98 wasn't cutting it anymore and I still have my Apple //e

No computer or video games in this house either... just never had to have the latest or greatest of anything and content to wait until prices drop if it is something I need. Still don't get the flat screen craze... can honestly say my tenants own newer cars, have the latest smart phones and TV's, Cable or Dish then I do and that also goes for the jewelry department too.

Not too much choice with the computer because I need it for work... at least it's a work expense... all $199 of it.

My cars were well used and not abused... still have the $800 car I drove going to school... Did get a deal on my one and only new one and it was because I was working overseas at the time... it's 11 years old now.

I don't endorse the book the Millionaire Next Door other to say it does give a person reason to stop and think. Mostly, the people that made the fortunes don't live lavish lifestyles... they leave that to future generations.

Don't get me wrong... nothing against conspicuous consumption... it's great for the economy and I say better someone else's spending propping things up instead of my spending.

You can really live a frugal lifestyle with little effort... we must truly live in a rich country judging by what we throw away...

Not a day goes by without seeing some of my co-workers with a Starbucks in one hand and their smart phone in another... as long as they can pay for it... more power to them

Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,470,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I guess I'm one that has a least one foot in last century...

Never lived in a house with cable... have rabbit ears for my Zenith TV... never owned a Smart Phone and don't have cell phone... right there I'm saving over 2k a year compared to what some of my friends pay...

I'm on my third computer... a $199 special... the old Win98 wasn't cutting it anymore and I still have my Apple //e

No computer or video games in this house either... just never had to have the latest or greatest of anything and content to wait until prices drop if it is something I need. Still don't get the flat screen craze... can honestly say my tenants own newer cars, have the latest smart phones and TV's, Cable or Dish then I do and that also goes for the jewelry department too.

Not too much choice with the computer because I need it for work... at least it's a work expense... all $199 of it.

My cars were well used and not abused... still have the $800 car I drove going to school... Did get a deal on my one and only new one and it was because I was working overseas at the time... it's 11 years old now.

I don't endorse the book the Millionaire Next Door other to say it does give a person reason to stop and think. Mostly, the people that made the fortunes don't live lavish lifestyles... they leave that to future generations.

Don't get me wrong... nothing against conspicuous consumption... it's great for the economy and I say better someone else's spending propping things up instead of my spending.

You can really live a frugal lifestyle with little effort... we must truly live in a rich country judging by what we throw away...

Not a day goes by without seeing some of my co-workers with a Starbucks in one hand and their smart phone in another... as long as they can pay for it... more power to them
Hey I still keep an old Win98 box around for good luck. Haven't used it in years though.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,749,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Hey I still keep an old Win98 box around for good luck. Haven't used it in years though.
Every once in a while I need something and it starts right up and I've even sent a few files last month...

Now my Apple //e hasn't been used for years...

We had some older computers at work with XP... I offered them to families I know with kids and they already were provided with school laptops through a low income program...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,470,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Every once in a while I need something and it starts right up and I've even sent a few files last month...

Now my Apple //e hasn't been used for years...

We had some older computers at work with XP... I offered them to families I know with kids and they already were provided with school laptops through a low income program...
From a computer architectural standpoint XP machines aren't really that outdated. Your average Linux machine is still running on computers that used to (or are capable of) supporting XP.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:07 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
It does work, but it's not always reliable
Thanks Faerydark. I was gonna rep you but it told me to spread it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would think that having to have a high-speed internet access would negate the savings on phone calls. Even if you have a lot of long distance each month, you can buy phone cards where long distance is 1 cent a minute, so you would have to make about 600 hours of long distance calls per month to justify the expense (assuming that your internet is $60 a month, which is about right, I think).

20yrsinBranson
I know that which is why I asked if the Magic Jack or something of its equivalent would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance