Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:02 AM

38 posts, read 74,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I cant access my online account here. I dont see how anyone could w/d 45.00 from my account without my atm card & checks. I didnt authorize anyone to w/d money from my account. Ill know the answers tomorrow & i just hope i get my money back & this dont continue. I didnt order any checks from my bank. They gave me 8 temporary checks & i have 7 left. I made a deposit @ a atm on sat july 5th @ 1:14 pm. The receipt stated my deposit & balance. The balance was off 45.00. The 45.00 w/d also occured on sat july 5th before 1:14 pm & it wasnt from a atm (i checked atm transactions on the 24 hr automated service). Someone either w/d the 45.00 in person at the bank or through some company who takes it out of your account. I have heard about the later happening & im hoping the bank credits me. At the atm you can only w/d in 20 dollar bills.
Please let us know how this works out. I sympathize with you and your level of stress over the issue.

Over time, I have become one of those "overly-cautious" individuals who checks her bank accounts on-line every morning over a cup of coffee, and visits her bank every Saturday morning to deposit her paychecks in person with a smile and a hello to all the staff. (It helps them remember me if I have to call them!) I use coupons to shop, save my loose change in a jar, and know where every dime goes. Really... $45 is a lot of money when you don't have "unlimited funds" and I do know how frustrated you must feel.

Best wishes for a good outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I was wondering the same thing. How did this thread end up in the real estate forum?
I was also confused by the placement

Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
I don't think cash machines are set up to dispense in anything other than $10 increments, so $45 had to be a charge of some sort. A check debit, or a bank fee, or someone managing to redirect $45 of your money. It probably didn't come from a cash machine entry.

Let us know......even if it puts egg on your face. We're all friends here, and no, I wouldn't share your bank account numbers even if you posted them here.....honestly.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
On july 1st i deposited a foreign money order (canadian m/o) in a atm that does not belong to my credit union. The atm company (a different credit union) is returning my 40.00 m/o & charged me $5.00 for the transaction. I had no idea that i couldnt deposit a foreign m/o. I should receive my m/o back within a few weeks & i must go in person or use the on site credit union atm to deposit the m/o. Customer service told me it takes awhile for a foreign check or m/o to clear. This is a 5.00 lesson for me.
My credit union is about 4 miles away & the atm is 1 mile away. Thanks for all the posts.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
On july 1st i deposited a foreign money order (canadian m/o) in a atm that does not belong to my credit union. The atm company (a different credit union) is returning my 40.00 m/o & charged me $5.00 for the transaction. I had no idea that i couldnt deposit a foreign m/o. I should receive my m/o back within a few weeks & i must go in person or use the on site credit union atm to deposit the m/o. Customer service told me it takes awhile for a foreign check or m/o to clear. This is a 5.00 lesson for me.
My credit union is about 4 miles away & the atm is 1 mile away. Thanks for all the posts.
That's a good lesson to learn. For future reference, can you mail the money order to them for deposit?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
That's a good lesson to learn. For future reference, can you mail the money order to them for deposit?
Idk but i will ask. It currently costs me 1/2 gallon of gas roundtrip to my credit union. Thats about 2.00 in gas compared to 46 cents for a stamp. The only problem is what if the m/o gets lost. I do sometimes shop at a supermarket next to the bank so ill just deposit the m/o then. I hate losing 5.00 & the federal credit union wont waiver the charge. Im sure they are glad to take my money.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM

I just talked to a credit union mgr. She told me a foreign check or money order can take 3-6 months to clear. I have been receiving a 40.00 canadian m/o for 1 yr now with no problems from my former bank. I switched banks cause my former bank wanted to charge me a online 6.95 month service fee unless i met their requirements for free checking. My credit union online checking account is free (for now).

Old 07-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Idk but i will ask. It currently costs me 1/2 gallon of gas roundtrip to my credit union. Thats about 2.00 in gas compared to 46 cents for a stamp. The only problem is what if the m/o gets lost. I do sometimes shop at a supermarket next to the bank so ill just deposit the m/o then. I hate losing 5.00 & the federal credit union wont waiver the charge. Im sure they are glad to take my money.
Of course they want your money. Have you asked the branch manager nicely if they will refund the money? I know that I have been in situations in the past, and have had success on getting fees reversed if I ask. They will usually do it one time for a courtesy.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
Of course they want your money. Have you asked the branch manager nicely if they will refund the money? I know that I have been in situations in the past, and have had success on getting fees reversed if I ask. They will usually do it one time for a courtesy.
I did ask & they told me no cause it wasnt their atm i deposited the m/o in. What a hassle.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM

38 posts, read 74,005 times
Quote:
I did ask & they told me no cause it wasnt their atm i deposited the m/o in. What a hassle.
Ahh, darn-it. Yep, most banks don't waive those "use of other ATM" fees because half (or more) of the actual fee is paid to the other bank.

By the way... is the Canadian money order in Canadian funds? If so, ask the person sending it to do the conversion on their end, by sending it in US funds. I've done this when dealing with foreign transactions, and it worked for me.

If you do decide to mail it in (and if that is permitted by the credit union), be sure to take a photocopy of the money order. Make certain that all the numbers are legible. I once deposited a money-order for rent in the sum of $950.00, and on their end, it came up as only $50.00 because the number 9 was very faint. Having the copy worked wonders with getting the error straightened out FAST. They also contain imprinted traceable "account" numbers, which can show whether the money order was cashed or not.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance