Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times

Advertisements

I believe the m/o was in u.s funds but im not sure. Its amazing the high fees including credit unions charge. Had my bank returned a check or m/o it would of cost me $20.00. Schoolsfirstfcu.org is the credit union that charged me 5.00 for rejecting my foreign m/o.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
I'm unable to deposit any check into an ATM that is not owed by my bank, I believe it is that way for all banks. I can withdraw money from an ATM not owned by my bank for an additional fee. Being upset with the bank for your mistake seems unreasonable.

There are other ways to have funds put into your account if you don't want to drive to your bank. They could send it to you with PopMoney, you get an email and you enter in you account info and the money is sent to you without any fees, you can mail in the money order with a deposit slip, my bank allows me to use an app to take a picture of a check and deposit it to my account.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 PM

6,484 posts, read 10,357,154 times
Some banks allow you to take a picture of a check you want to deposit from your cell phone. Chase and Bank of America do offer that service. Check with your bank.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:02 PM

I made a honest mistake. Had i know the cu would reject the foreign m/o i would of just driven 4 miles to my bank & deposit it in person. I know banks are out to make money & the atm i use at the store charges no fee to deposit or withdraw unless you are not a cu member. Any fee would be automatically withdrawn from my account. I will check my account balance as often as possible just to be on the safe side. Its best to have lost 5.00 instead 45.00. Lesson learned.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:03 PM

The canadian money order is in u.s.funds (40.00 u.s.dollars). My credit union will honor it providing i deposit it in person. It will cost me about $2.00 in gas to deposit it so ill be out 7.00 total this month. The bank has to mail me the m/o once they get it from schoolsfirst cu. Credit union banks do have their limitations compared to non cu banks. When i banked with us bank this wasnt a issue but im still glad i made the switch mainly due to free checking (providing i receive online statements) & the nearest atm being 1 mile away which i can walk to.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:44 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The canadian money order is in u.s.funds (40.00 u.s.dollars). My credit union will honor it providing i deposit it in person. It will cost me about $2.00 in gas to deposit it so ill be out 7.00 total this month. The bank has to mail me the m/o once they get it from schoolsfirst cu. Credit union banks do have their limitations compared to non cu banks. When i banked with us bank this wasnt a issue but im still glad i made the switch mainly due to free checking (providing i receive online statements) & the nearest atm being 1 mile away which i can walk to.
Ask about Bank By Mail when you go to your Credit Union. Often times it's handled differently than depositing through the ATM, and it will save you a trip.

We've banked by mail for years. Our bank is not convenient for us, but it's a really good bank and we get free checking from them.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Ask about Bank By Mail when you go to your Credit Union. Often times it's handled differently than depositing through the ATM, and it will save you a trip.

We've banked by mail for years. Our bank is not convenient for us, but it's a really good bank and we get free checking from them.
The only thing about bank by mail is their is always the chance of mail getting lost or stolen by someone working for the post office. Its just too risky for me. I know its rare but it does happen. My luck has been bad this yr so for now ill just deposit the m/o in person.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
The only thing about bank by mail is their is always the chance of mail getting lost or stolen by someone working for the post office. Its just too risky for me. I know its rare but it does happen. My luck has been bad this yr so for now ill just deposit the m/o in person.
Steel7, glad you were able to find out what the problem was. I check my accounts online every day just to make sure they are what they should be!! This way I know that if anything goes wrong, I will catch it very quickly.

RE: gas to go in person to the credit union, maybe you could just go when you have other errands to run? I try to combine lots of trips into one to save on gas.

Hope the rest of your year goes better!

Old 07-10-2013, 09:59 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I'm unable to deposit any check into an ATM that is not owed by my bank, I believe it is that way for all banks.
This isn't universal. Some banks don't allow deposits from other banks' ATMs, but most allow you to do this as long as the ATM is on the same network as your bank is.

I've maintained a bank account in my hometown throughout all my moves as direct deposit, online & telephone banking, and ATM transactions minimize (actually virtually eliminate) the need to go there in person. For years I was able to deposit funds through any ATM on the Shazam network; unfortunately a couple of years ago my bank switched to some oddball network that hardly anyone uses so I'm no longer able to do that, but I solved that problem by opening an account at a local bank so I can deposit funds there and use their online billpay system to transfer them to my primary account if I need to. It takes the funds two days to post to my account rather than posting at the end of the business day they are deposited, but that's a minor inconvenience at worst.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM

Up until a month ago i never had a cu bank account. From what i read on the c-d forums alot of people are happy with cu banks. Im just abit surprised my bank wont deposit the m/o once they receive it from the other cu instead of mailing it to me & forcing me to deposit it in person or cash it some other way is virtually impossible. I did ask about mailing it & they highly suggested i dont & i agree with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance