Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2015, 04:35 AM

386 posts, read 265,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Isn't a park supposed to be built on the specific spot where the Salvation Army store was? I knew someone who died there. Yep, let's just forget about what happened there and plop a building on it.

Plus there's PFD full firehouse(engine, ladder, emt)in that block which serves CC which is vital.
Where will that go?
There's a huge parking lot in between the firehouse and memorial. I'm sure that's where the building is going. Either way, great news for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:09 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Isn't a park supposed to be built on the specific spot where the Salvation Army store was? I knew someone who died there. Yep, let's just forget about what happened there and plop a building on it.

Plus there's PFD full firehouse(engine, ladder, emt)in that block which serves CC which is vital.
Where will that go?
The building will be built around and over the firehouse I do believe. The memorial park will still be included on the corner of 21st and Market. Either way we haven't seen renderings yet so don't fret

Old 10-16-2015, 08:15 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Can't recall whether it was this thread or another where a poster was questioning why so many neighborhoods top out at three stories. Here's some news: City Council creates more downtown living space. Perhaps even more interesting is that the minimal footprint of residential units above commercial development is decreased from 1440 square feet to 360 square feet.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
There's a huge parking lot in between the firehouse and memorial. I'm sure that's where the building is going. Either way, great news for the city.
Of course we will see what the renderings look like. I hope it will be on the SW corner of 21st. Nothing there needs to stay, IMO.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:38 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:

Where will that go?

The Salvation Army building is only a sliver. I hope they level that ugly parking garage and parking lot next to it. I did hear in the past the fire station was planning to put up a fight if their building was in danger.

I trust Brandywine though. If the fire station isn't in their plan, they would actively try to relocate the fire station nearby. However, minus the piece from the Salvation Army store, that is a huge parcel so I don't think it would be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is why I'm having the problem about, what seems to me to be a contest, of how many tall buildings can be crammed in. Fire department engine houses are essentials & parks are connected to quality of life.
How is this problem? 21/22 Market is prime real estate. This is where 500-1000' buildings should be! I don't think Philadelphia is anywhere near the issue of cramming as many tall buildings in as it can. If someone actually objects to height and density at this location outside of the memorial/fire house questions then they may want to consider moving Media or West Chester.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Salvation Army building is only a sliver. I hope they level that ugly parking garage and parking lot next to it. I did hear in the past the fire station was planning to put up a fight if their building was in danger.

I trust Brandywine though. If the fire station isn't in their plan, they would actively try to relocate the fire station nearby. However, minus the piece from the Salvation Army store, that is a huge parcel so I don't think it would be an issue.
"Actively try to relocate it" which will, obviously, need the city agreeing, the firemen's union agreeing, and who pays for any move, being part of it. In the meantime since it is the only firehouse in that part of CC, there can't be any serious downtime wrt fire fighting in that part of town.

Old 10-16-2015, 02:00 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - PHILADELPHIA | The Development Thread IX

Old 10-16-2015, 04:05 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
"Actively try to relocate it" which will, obviously, need the city agreeing, the firemen's union agreeing, and who pays for any move, being part of it. In the meantime since it is the only firehouse in that part of CC, there can't be any serious downtime wrt fire fighting in that part of town.
If its Brandywine the city will work with them. Not to be mean to the city, but they generally bend over/give their blessing too extremely large companies like Brandywine, Liberty, Comcast w/ new building, Toll etc. The firemens union on the other hand will be the bigger challenge. According the diagram Kidphilly posted, looks like the fire house will not have to be relocated.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:14 PM

283 posts, read 463,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
According the diagram Kidphilly posted, looks like the fire house will not have to be relocated.
I think it's a matter of practicality for the city to have a fire station there. If we want to put out fires quickly, I Imagine it's a good idea to have a fire station on the largest east-west street through Center City. I'm sure there's some sort of requirement to have a station within a certain area, and perhaps other lots were not practical to relocate to.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:36 AM

Nothing particular revolutionary about that drawing. Maybe a first draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia