Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 11:59 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Since this thread has shifted to Krasner, I wonder how many voters for DA ( on either side) have served on juries or been inside court rooms. I've served twice in DelCo and in the city. It's not like fictional shows like Law and Order.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Is there a shred of evidence that Krasner cares about victims? Or these cases?

Also he would never have pursued Ira Einhorn for years like Lynn Abraham did.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:01 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Shouldn't your complaints about the PPD be taken up with the actual PPD? Using Krasner as some kind of proxy to affect change of the PPD's culture seems naive, imo.

There are a lot of black cops, including the current and a number of prior commisioners, so some of them must be on your hate list too.
Oh absolutely. It's not an "either" "or" situation.

I'm active with my community grassroots organization. We are working with the PD on ways to better engage each other.
My church is one of the largest AA Baptist church in Philly (shout out to Enon), we work with Police outreach to foster better relations

And we actively get people in our community to vote and one of the things we needed to do is get rid of a DA's office that refuses to take our issues seriously.

A person shouldn't be afraid to call the cops because the people who are supposed to help them may end up killing them.

I apologize, maybe I need to chose better words, I don't need to "hate" anyone. So I'll just say, I don't trust them.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since this thread has shifted to Krasner, I wonder how many voters for DA ( on either side) have served on juries or been inside court rooms. I've served twice in DelCo and in the city. It's not like fictional shows like Law and Order.
lol, omg Kyb01. I was actually on a murder trial jury when I lived in NYC. what was really surprising is my mom was a civil rights attorney. I thought for sure that would disqualify me. I keep telling the judge over and over but nope, got picked and served

Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 AM

840 posts, read 692,016 times
No that other post was a joke, homicides have spiked this year. I understand your plight and it sounds like youve raised some wonderful young men but with that in mind dont you want them safe ? Most of the homicides are black on black/white on white etc-. Putting a DA in place who fires prosecutors (without cause) who have prosecuted and convicted killers isnt the ingredients to a safe city for your kids. I'm for the most part a moderate but clearly in these liberal utopias like Baltimore and Chicago (and soon Philly) when the police are on the defensive and feel unsupported then the citizens are the ones who suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
so I'll just give you my perspective.

We are an African American family, I have two wonderful sons and sorry I am sick and tired of the cops harassing them for no other reason than they are black and 6 ft tall.

My oldest son is a plumbers journeyman, in his 4th year, will soon be licensed. No arrest, graduated trade school, no babies, no baby mama drama. had a job in center city, cops pull him over all the time. why? he drives my benz and evidently in this world that equals drug dealer.

My youngest goes to temple, we live in Fairmont. I'm sick of him being questioned on Green street because what, black young men can't walk through a neighborhood. Once again, my kid doesn't even have a parking ticket, he wants to go to law school, 3.75 gpa at temple. no drugs, no baby mama drama.

This is not all cops, I know this but Philadelphia's police department has a long history of brutality and harassment and refuses to even remotely address the situation

So yeah I hate the police department here. so yes it made sense for me to vote for him.

I will say that since the Pope's visit, police community engagement has gotten better but I saw no reason to vote for some one who would simply continue to champion police brutality toward minorities.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
No that other post was a joke, homicides have spiked this year. I understand your plight and it sounds like youve raised some wonderful young men but with that in mind dont you want them safe ? Most of the homicides are black on black/white on white etc-. Putting a DA in place who fires prosecutors (without cause) who have prosecuted and convicted killers isnt the ingredients to a safe city for your kids. I'm for the most part a moderate but clearly in these liberal utopias like Baltimore and Chicago (and soon Philly) when the police are on the defensive and feel unsupported then the citizens are the ones who suffer.
hey Lpranger.
It's a dilemma, you are absolutely right, we all want our kids safe and believe me, my community has got to wake up and face it's demons.

One nice bit of news came out of Camden yesterday, Homicides are down 50% from last year. mainly because of cooperation from police in more "community" policing.

Now I thought the firings last week were insane and I hope they hold his feet to the fire for an explanation but I can't understand why keeping the community safe automatically means abusing a large segment of the community.
I don't accept the premise that in order for the police to keep Philadelphia safe they have to abuse African Americans or they can't do their job correctly if they have to answer to community organizations.

Why is the environment so unsupported of the Police? it's because of years and years of Police abuse without any repercussions. remember you have in Philly a large segment of your citizen that truly believe they are in more danger from the authorities than they are from the criminals.

that did not just happen, lol so it's laughable to tell a community that the people bopping you over the head for no reason are feeling "unsupported" and in order for them to do their job you have to allow them to keep abusing you.

Yes I want my kids safe just like anyone else, unlike anyone else I don't understand why in order for that to happen you have to harass, profile and abuse my kids.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:52 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
hey Lpranger.
It's a dilemma, you are absolutely right, we all want our kids safe and believe me, my community has got to wake up and face it's demons.

One nice bit of news came out of Camden yesterday, Homicides are down 50% from last year. mainly because of cooperation from police in more "community" policing.

Now I thought the firings last week were insane and I hope they hold his feet to the fire for an explanation but I can't understand why keeping the community safe automatically means abusing a large segment of the community.
I don't accept the premise that in order for the police to keep Philadelphia safe they have to abuse African Americans or they can't do their job correctly if they have to answer to community organizations.

Why is the environment so unsupported of the Police? it's because of years and years of Police abuse without any repercussions. remember you have in Philly a large segment of your citizen that truly believe they are in more danger from the authorities than they are from the criminals.

that did not just happen, lol so it's laughable to tell a community that the people bopping you over the head for no reason are feeling "unsupported" and in order for them to do their job you have to allow them to keep abusing you.

Yes I want my kids safe just like anyone else, unlike anyone else I don't understand why in order for that to happen you have to harass, profile and abuse my kids.
Decreasing crime in your community will result in decreasing police presence and encounters. When will your community wake up and face its demons? The police issue in 2018 is the same story from 1968.

Rallies for Meek Mill, a criminal, and tearing down the Rizzo statue get plenty of press as being issues for the black community; no sleeping there are lack of facing these demons. I still credit Rizzo for Philly not burning down like Newark, Detroit, and a whole list of cities back in the '60s.

Perhaps if the community would snitch, then your kids wouldn't have to be stopped driving around in a Benz anywhere in the city. When a segment of a certain group is committing the violent crime, then other members of that same group will be suspect. It's akin to living in a war zone.

Please remember the thousands of lives NYC's stop and frisk saved. Today NYC has fewer # homicides than, for example, Philly and Baltimore. NYC is at its peak population as well, about 8.5 million people compared to Philly's 1.56 million, yet the total number of 2017 NYC homicides was 290 while Philly chalked up 315. That's incredible. Hell, Philly's hands-off policies can't even handle rowdy teens/young adult flash mobs in Center City. Washington DC is another old war zone gone good; 117 homicides, with a 70% case closed rate.

To hostilely complain about the police department on one hand and then hope your community wakes up and faces its demons on the other, pretty much is the cliff-notes answer as to why Philly has more total homicides than behemoth NYC. It's a 50-50 proposition: the police are there, the black community isn't. Even this equation out.

I like Phillly but it has lots of rough edges so between this Mayor, new DA, and the anti-police sentiment, it's a wait and see game. Crime will kill Philly's potential.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-07-2018 at 02:08 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 02:30 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Stop, and Frisk is a violation of one's rights.

Old 01-07-2018, 03:02 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Stop, and Frisk is a violation of one's rights.
According to NY district court the ''frisk'' part was problematic but the application/practice itself was the issue, not the actual law. The crux of the litigation related to this procedure rested on ''racial discrimination''. Violent crime rates in NYC committed by African American males; crime reduction techniques disclosed a large number of African American males being stopped and frisked, with 90% or so being released on site. Why would the numbers disclose a large # of whites or Asians being in this net?

The NYC law was challenged when 90% of homicide victims and 96% of shooting victims were young males of color.

How do cities like Philly address violent crime and avoid ''racial disparity'' etc issues when the vast majority of crime generally is being committed by a certain race?

Philly still has more # of homicides than NYC and NYC is a safe-haven now regardless.

Last edited by Kamms; 01-07-2018 at 03:45 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Why is the environment so unsupported of the Police? it's because of years and years of Police abuse without any repercussions. remember y
The possibility of Krasner doing exactly what he did came out after the results of the primary. A giant red flag that people seemed to ignore once the general election came around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia