Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry bowa View Post
well said! Although, i think a big part is he just likes busting chops ...
:d:d:d

In all seriousness, I do.. Don't take me all that serious and not to heart when I do. People that do know me in real life(and there are many here that do) know this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 AM

56 posts, read 72,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Someday I'll teach you how to walk in the city.
I moved to Washington West from Collingswood in 1994. in 2003, I sold that property for a nice bundle, bought a much bigger house in Bella Vista and an investment property in Passyunk Square. Since then I've sold the BV property and now live in the PS house. 19 years, and the only incident was around 13 years ago, someone was following me home at 2am from a late night session at Fergie's, though the maze of Washington West's alleys. I was asked for a cigarette, told him I didn't smoke and he continued to follow and ask questions. I screamed at the top of my lungs to get the f*** away from me, and he bolted.

That's all the trouble I've experienced in all that time. No break ins, no theft, nothing.

Even before I moved here, I've always walked these streets like I owned them. I look others in the eye, say hello when it warrants, but I walk like I mean business.

Apparently, frankgn87 never learned that, being from a section of the city that has lawns.

And to the OP's original question, I agree with Larry. I'd keep my residency, buy a manse in Society Hill and a getaway home in La Jolla on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific, the two most beautiful places I've ever seen.

Last edited by Johnny P'unk Square; 09-07-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
since you asked,. The reason we moved is because in 23 years these crimes happened to my family and close neighbor friends.

- 5 our our cars broken into and ransacked.
- we were pick pocketed
- our home burglarized
- attempted car jacking
- various lawn furniture and Christmas decorations stolen from our home
- Neighbor shot and intruder one night on a break in
- Neighbors home was fire bombed and burnt to the ground
- car vandalized 3 times
- garage broken into and many items stolen

And you say "Philadelphia is a pretty good place to live"? Wonder what a pretty bad place would be like?

And we lived in a nice NE Philly neighborhood too.
Having read that litany of unfortunate events, I can understand why you left the city. Nonetheless, there are still areas in the city that are both family-friendly and relatively safe: e.g. much of NW Philly above Germantown as well as the newer communities in lower South Philly. Granted, schools and the wage tax are vexing issues...but it's one thing to suggest suburban neighborhoods as an alternative; it's another to totally write off the city when a query about urban living is received.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post
I moved to Washington West from Collingswood in 1994. in 2003, I sold that property for a nice bundle, bought a much bigger house in Bella Vista and an investment property in Passyunk Square. Since then I've sold the BV property and now live in the PS house. 19 years, and the only incident was around 13 years ago, someone was following me home at 2am from a late night session at Fergie's, though the maze of Washington West's alleys. I was asked for a cigarette, told him I didn't smoke and he continued to follow and ask questions. I screamed at the top of my lungs to get the f*** away from me, and he bolted.

That's all the trouble I've experienced in all that time. No break ins, no theft, nothing.

Even before I moved here, I've always walked these streets like I owned them. I look others in the eye, say hello when it warrants, but I walk like I mean business.

Apparently, frankgn87 never learned that, being from a section of the city that has lawns.

And to the OP's original question, I agree with Larry. I'd keep my residency, buy a manse in Society Hill and a getaway home in La Jolla on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific, the two most beautiful places I've ever seen.
Did you read anywhere I was ever attacked? No . Trust me.. No one would.. Oh and I would also add 2 cars stolen over the years in Philly too

Old 09-07-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Did you read anywhere I was ever attacked? No . Trust me.. No one would.. Oh and I would also add 2 cars stolen over the years in Philly too
Well, many moons ago, as a young adult, I was working as a cashier in Marlton and was held up at gunpoint while working. At a later date my car was vandalized pretty severely (it was random, I had no enemies) in the parking lot of the same store.

Many years later, I worked in Upper Darby, and there was an attempted theft of my car, a lot of damage was done. You can argue that Upper Darby is just an extension of Philadelphia, but this was a nice section that was on the border of Havertown on West Chester Pike.

But other than that one minor incident of being followed, no one has ever invaded my space within the confines of the city limits. Being a crime victim sometimes has more to do with opportunity than location. Of course being in SW or North Philly the odds go up, but were talking about neighborhoods that are considered relatively safe.

BTW, I do have a friend who's lived in Rhawnhurst for all of his 55 years, who's complaining about the recent upswing of petty crime and the section starting to lose it's luster. Where I live, the area is doing quite the opposite.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I just went over your list again.

Pickpocketing and car jacking isn't what you would consider being attacked?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:16 PM

353 posts, read 814,587 times
I can go out at any given moment at all hours of the day and never worry about shoveling snow or getting stuck in snow again...and many places are 24hrs open here......its like living in vagas.....

Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 PM

318 posts, read 609,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny P'unk Square View Post

Thanks for the lesson on how to be a tough guy.....gimme a break

Old 09-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Thanks for the lesson on how to be a tough guy.....gimme a break
There is one thing I didn't mention, for many years now I've had a job that takes me into peoples homes all over Philadelphia proper, Philadelphia is my territory, no one else's in my office shares it. There is very few places I haven't been in the city, and have been to these areas many times over.

Why is it then that an example of typical day for me would be going from Chestnut Hill to Germantown to Kingsessing then on to Grays Ferry under the cloak of darkness (I have a lot of evening appointments) and never have a problem? Why are there residents who always seem to have problems, but I don't?

There is only one place I've ever been in Phila. that frightened me, and that's The Bartram Homes (I refuse to go back). Other than that, I've been in just about every project in the city, every bad neighborhood, was never afraid and was never accosted.

My tough guy s**t must work.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
I'd love to hear about your experience at Bartram HP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia