U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2014, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Reputation: 2774

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If you think people hate Philadelphia, ask people in downstate Illinois how they feel about Chicago, or how people in south Georgia feel about Atlanta.
people in upstate ny also seem to have choice words for NYC. I also think it's hard to argue that Philly has been sending politicians to Harrisburg that were a positive force for change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2014, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Brookline, PGH
876 posts, read 987,038 times
Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
people in upstate ny also seem to have choice words for NYC. I also think it's hard to argue that Philly has been sending politicians to Harrisburg that were a positive force for change.
I think one of the biggest problem in state politics is that Pittsburgh and Philadelphia politicians have tended to be even more corrupt and provincial than the average state politician, which is certainly saying something. Hopefully mayors Nutter and Peduto are both signs of a new wave of respectable civil servants from both urban centers.

In the more conservative areas of the state, there's a lot of narrow mindedness when it comes to understanding how something like public transportation funding benefits the whole state through making the cities more attractive and prosperous, which increases the tax revenue for the whole state and helps fund rural schools, roads, etc...

People in urban and rural areas of the same state both need to understand how the other's economic issues affect the whole state, and strive to evolve past the divisive "geographical xenophobia," if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2014, 06:20 PM
 
Location: The Flagship City
2,510 posts, read 3,123,495 times
Reputation: 1687
What an odd thread and ridiculous notion and that's all I have to say about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2014, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The simpleist fix would simply to have Philadelphia county join NJ.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I often say that NYC and Philly should join New Jersey to make it the #1 state in the country haha.
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2014, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Philly
10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I think one of the biggest problem in state politics is that Pittsburgh and Philadelphia politicians have tended to be even more corrupt and provincial than the average state politician, which is certainly saying something. Hopefully mayors Nutter and Peduto are both signs of a new wave of respectable civil servants from both urban centers.

In the more conservative areas of the state, there's a lot of narrow mindedness when it comes to understanding how something like public transportation funding benefits the whole state through making the cities more attractive and prosperous, which increases the tax revenue for the whole state and helps fund rural schools, roads, etc...

People in urban and rural areas of the same state both need to understand how the other's economic issues affect the whole state, and strive to evolve past the divisive "geographical xenophobia," if you will.
I like the way Virginia has gone about transportation, at least in some ways. specifically, they are talking about restoring passenger service to places that lost it long ago. they've done lynchburg and norfolk, working on roanoke, and talking about bristol. they are probably moving a bit too slow on the frequency side though. norfolk has but one trip per day at 5 am, but at least there's a recognition that these places are now poorly connected by air and have lost rail service. PA has many of the same types of places, williamsport/sunbury, reading, the lehigh valley, etc that could use rail service again and Pittsburgh could use more than one a day and a faster train at that. yet the state simply has no plan to use "transit" or rial dollars to achieve those ends making the situation more geographical than it, perhaps, needs to be. yes, you're right, the cities have sent garbage to harrisburg. that needs to change (leanna washington anyone?) as well.
the whole philly nj is perhaps the silliest idea out there. PHilly IS Pennsylvania. perhaps one could argue for the original PA which would include delaware and the three original counties which are chester, bucks, and philadelphia...chester included lancaster, berks, and delaware counties while philadelphia included montgomery county. If you think about it, everything south through DE and west through the susquehanna. Of course, the reality isn't that geography is the problem, it's the culture in Harrisburg and the way PA politics works. thinks like campaign reform simply made it harder to reform the legislature by making it more difficult to run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2014, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,567 posts, read 2,663,137 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the whole philly nj is perhaps the silliest idea out there. Philly is pennsylvania.
exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
 
1,953 posts, read 3,357,867 times
Reputation: 1087
Bleh I honestly don't think of Philly as being PA at all. When I think of PA I think of Pennsyltucky and Pittsburgh. Philly is its own thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 07:45 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,348 posts, read 18,629,509 times
Reputation: 14954
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Bleh I honestly don't think of Philly as being PA at all. When I think of PA I think of Pennsyltucky and Pittsburgh. Philly is its own thing.
Idiocy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,520 posts, read 10,848,867 times
Reputation: 5441
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Bleh I honestly don't think of Philly as being PA at all. When I think of PA I think of Pennsyltucky and Pittsburgh. Philly is its own thing.
I really do hate that term. I feel like it's an insult to anyone who has ever lived in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top