Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 02:41 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times

Advertisements

I've been officially living in Philly proper for just over two months now. I've lived in the burbs before, and in other cities, but I just have to rave about how underrated this city is.

On Friday, a friend and I wandered around Center City in the gorgeous weather, chilled out in Washington Square West, and had an amazing lunch at Strangelove's with a cute bartender and waiter (and I defy anyone to find a restaurant around here without a hot bartender/waiter!)

Saturday we went to the South Street Festival with friends, hung out at Penn's Landing, then to The Good King for some amazing beer and their Chocolate Pot de Creme.

I've yet to have a bad meal in this city, and I've met more nice people around here than I did in the four years I lived in Carbon County.

I'm not saying that Philly doesn't have its issues. The garbage thing is a bit annoying. Obviously there are crime issues in some sections of the city. But I gotta say--I'm loving it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Welcome to Philly! We're glad to have you

I agree that the city is extremely underrated... however, more and more people are starting to pick up on all Philadelphia has to offer and are only contributing to it's revival.

And to think, most people in the rest of PA hate Philly

Old 05-05-2014, 02:58 PM

182 posts, read 377,210 times
I'm glad you like it here!!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
The undesirable parts of town bring the city down and rightfully so. It's the wretched condition of the Mantua's, Strawberry Mansions,Hunting Parks,Kingsessings that hurt the citys reputation. If you could replace the bombed-out areas with modest suburbs like Drexel Hill,,Media,Ridley then Philadlphia would not be underrated.

Not sure if you have made it up to Chestnut Hill,Manayunk,West Mount Airy but you need to make a visit. The Wissahickon Gorge is an amazing natura lgift given Philadlephia's urban nature.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,521,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
I've been officially living in Philly proper for just over two months now. I've lived in the burbs before, and in other cities, but I just have to rave about how underrated this city is.

On Friday, a friend and I wandered around Center City in the gorgeous weather, chilled out in Washington Square West, and had an amazing lunch at Strangelove's with a cute bartender and waiter (and I defy anyone to find a restaurant around here without a hot bartender/waiter!)

Saturday we went to the South Street Festival with friends, hung out at Penn's Landing, then to The Good King for some amazing beer and their Chocolate Pot de Creme.

I've yet to have a bad meal in this city, and I've met more nice people around here than I did in the four years I lived in Carbon County.

I'm not saying that Philly doesn't have its issues. The garbage thing is a bit annoying. Obviously there are crime issues in some sections of the city. But I gotta say--I'm loving it here!
Lovely post! Philadelphians are friendlier than most want to admit, and yeah, we have great food.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,085 times
Quote:
Lovely post! Philadelphians are friendlier than most want to admit, and yeah, we have great food.
My brother keeps asking me if I eat cheesesteaks every day. I'm like "no!! There are a million better things here in Philly to eat!"

Old 05-06-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCountyLiving View Post
My brother keeps asking me if I eat cheesesteaks every day. I'm like "no!! There are a million better things here in Philly to eat!"
Not a "million" ... lets not get crazy. lol

Old 05-06-2014, 07:49 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
From another recent fellow transplant, I couldn't agree more! I've been here a little more than 4 months and have absolutely fallen head over heels in love with Philly! Cannot imagine being anywhere else right now!

Old 05-06-2014, 04:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
My favorite uncle, who just turned 80 and is living in the Manhattan apartment he inherited from his sister, lived in my house here in Philly for 4 1/2 years. In his adult life my uncle lived in NYC, LA, Chicago, New Orleans, and Miami. His comment: "Philadelphia is the most under-rated city in America!"

Old 05-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
My favorite uncle, who just turned 80 and is living in the Manhattan apartment he inherited from his sister, lived in my house here in Philly for 4 1/2 years. In his adult life my uncle lived in NYC, LA, Chicago, New Orleans, and Miami. His comment: "Philadelphia is the most under-rated city in America!"

Why did he live in so many places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia