Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:44 AM

175 posts, read 287,972 times

Advertisements

Ive lived in london nyc and currently los angeles. Im moving to philadelphia by choice. i could move back to manhattan but gee....im not so fond of piles of trash outside my overpriced apartment when i can get a gorgeous old house with character in philly. center city does remind me of the village in manhattan but cleaner. and honestly the food is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 41,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
NORTH PHILLY??? ............ok. 😳
Yep. She swears everywhere is like that. She once said she thinks South Philly is just North Philly with white people in it .

Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,231,158 times
Philadelphia is better than New York by bounds and leaps. I am very biased as I have been a resident of Philadelphia and Delaware Counties for all of my life, but here is why I have this opinion:

Better sports:
As you can tell by my username, I am a huge Phillies phan! I love my Philly sports teams, and so does the rest of the city. Nowhere in America will you find sports fans as passionate as those in Philly. Even when we do lose, the passion and enthusiasm makes up for it.

Better public transportation:
I am now a broke college student, so I do not have a car. SEPTA is a blessing, especially when it comes to the Regional Rail system. I live in southwestern Delaware County, so my town is equidistant between the Wilmington/Newark and the Media/Elwyn lines. This means that I can either go to Chester Transportation Center and take the Wilmington/Newark line, or I can go to Elwyn, park in its spacious parking lot, and catch the Media/Elwyn line into Center City. Even when I was in high school a year ago, I took the 117 to my job at Kohl's after school was over.

WAY Better Skyline:
Philadelphia's beautiful skyline continues to grow. Philly is blessed to have such a unique skyline. Depending on where one may be viewing the skyline from, structures such as the mid-rise and low-rise buildings, the high line, Fairmount Park, the Art Museum, the Ben Franklin Bridge, etc. make our skyline distinct. The best and most exciting part about our skyline, however, is that it is nowhere near absolute. Center City holds the most exciting development in the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center. University City is also set to receive a high-rise building, the FMC Tower. By the time that our skyline is complete, our skyline's density may rival that of Chicago!

I could list more, but it's late and I have a Calculus final tomorrow.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:20 AM

95 posts, read 180,667 times
I like Philly too, but skyline and public transportation are not the selling points over NY...

Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Philadelphia is better than New York by bounds and leaps. I am very biased as I have been a resident of Philadelphia and Delaware Counties for all of my life, but here is why I have this opinion:

Better sports:
As you can tell by my username, I am a huge Phillies phan! I love my Philly sports teams, and so does the rest of the city. Nowhere in America will you find sports fans as passionate as those in Philly. Even when we do lose, the passion and enthusiasm makes up for it.

Better public transportation:
I am now a broke college student, so I do not have a car. SEPTA is a blessing, especially when it comes to the Regional Rail system. I live in southwestern Delaware County, so my town is equidistant between the Wilmington/Newark and the Media/Elwyn lines. This means that I can either go to Chester Transportation Center and take the Wilmington/Newark line, or I can go to Elwyn, park in its spacious parking lot, and catch the Media/Elwyn line into Center City. Even when I was in high school a year ago, I took the 117 to my job at Kohl's after school was over.

WAY Better Skyline:
Philadelphia's beautiful skyline continues to grow. Philly is blessed to have such a unique skyline. Depending on where one may be viewing the skyline from, structures such as the mid-rise and low-rise buildings, the high line, Fairmount Park, the Art Museum, the Ben Franklin Bridge, etc. make our skyline distinct. The best and most exciting part about our skyline, however, is that it is nowhere near absolute. Center City holds the most exciting development in the Comcast Innovation and Technology Center. University City is also set to receive a high-rise building, the FMC Tower. By the time that our skyline is complete, our skyline's density may rival that of Chicago!

I could list more, but it's late and I have a Calculus final tomorrow.
This is a classic case of blind homer-ism run astray.

Better sports? Seriously? The only thing Philadelphia has on New York sports wise is fan fanaticism. The fans here are diehards no doubt, but you've only produced one championship in recent memory. The Eagles suck, the Flyers have had some good runs but no championships recently, the 76ers are just terrible, and the Phillies had '08 and then went back to mediocrity. Philadelphia has nothing on places like Boston and New York sports wise.

Better public transportation? This one is just laughable. Have you ever been to New York? They have BY FAR the most extensive public transportation system in the US. There are 20-26 subway lines in NY (depending on how you count), compared to Philadelphia's 3. New York is served by NJT, LIRR, and MetroNorth regional lines, which is far larger and more extensive than SEPTA's regional rail. In 2010, 56% of New Yorkers commuted to work by public transit, compared to just under 27% in Philadelphia. Besides, SEPTA still uses tokens and paper cards. Most systems haven't used tokens in decades. SEPTA does a lot with it's limited funding, but it never has been and never will be anywhere near the same league as the MTA in New York.

A better skyline? This is almost as ridiculous as better transportation, and again makes me question whether you have even been to New York. Manhattan's skyline is second to none in the world in terms of density, overall height, and the imposing feeling it has. Philadelphia has a great skyline, but it is far from rivaling Chicago, let alone New York.

Let's be real here guys, Philadelphia is a great city but still miles behind New York.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
while I'd love to have better transportation infrastructure in Philly I would never wish the MTA on Philadelphia. we simply cannot afford corruption, incompetence, and inefficiency on that level. only NY can afford to waste that much money.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
while I'd love to have better transportation infrastructure in Philly I would never wish the MTA on Philadelphia. we simply cannot afford corruption, incompetence, and inefficiency on that level. only NY can afford to waste that much money.
I'd gladly take the MTA and it's problems over SEPTA and it's problems any day of the week.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 AM

33 posts, read 63,471 times
I grew up in a NYC suburb so I have spent plenty of time there. Truth is, I really don't care for it. I can see how a tourist would be attracted, but overall it is loud, rude, ridiculously expensive and dirty. The skyline is big, but the buildings themselves are not pretty.

Philly on the other hand, is more quiet, has more character, is affordable, and despite it's reputation, I have only encountered great friendly people, even in the "bad" area's. The skyline is not as big, but the buildings are way prettier then New Yorks.

So whatever, it's an opinion, but having spent lots of time in both, I think Philly is WAY better.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:20 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
I'd gladly take the MTA and it's problems over SEPTA and it's problems any day of the week.
you must enjoy unsafeservice as well as less service. if SEPTA were run like the MTA we would have far worse service.
Quote:
Investigators from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's Office of Inspector General tracked five members of the 18-person road machinists unit within Metro-North's Work Equipment Division over 45 total work days last summer. Those road machinists are supposed to travel to track work sites around the railroad's 384-mile route, keeping the complex heavy machinery used in track repairs in working order.

In 22% of the work days reviewed, the machinists "were idle for the entire workday," the report said
Report: Metro-North Rail Workers Shirked Duty - WSJ

I suspect what you really mean is that you would gladly take the MTA's budget

Old 07-02-2014, 08:22 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,040,975 times
I just got back from new york this weekend. Aside from the specific things we did I found the experience now boring actually. The main difference I'm noticing is the vibe which seems to be in new york romanticizing about how unique it is, but it's not, which actually now comes off as annoying. It seems that hype is great for someone new but if you want the lifestyle for the long run Philly is a much better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia