Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:58 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times

Advertisements

So this "back to normal" thing lasted only about a month and now TWU is on strike. I see it's definitely affecting RR as well with excessively late trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
So this "back to normal" thing lasted only about a month and now TWU is on strike. I see it's definitely affecting RR as well with excessively late trains.
You were not in Philly during the last strike. We'll survive. Bashing septa doesn't help.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:55 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You were not in Philly during the last strike. We'll survive. Bashing septa doesn't help.
I'm not bashing SEPTA. I literally stated facts. I've been following this story as it has even been on the news here in DC. I hope the strike doesn't last long and they can come to an agreement quickly.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Thanks Becca - It's annoying, definitely a tough year for SEPTA. I hope that it will resolve over the next few days. The premium I pay to be able to walk everywhere (even to work) certainly is worth it!

Old 11-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Thanks Becca - It's annoying, definitely a tough year for SEPTA. I hope that it will resolve over the next few days. The premium I pay to be able to walk everywhere (even to work) certainly is worth it!
I was expecting the traffic in CC to me much worse than it is. More congestion but not massive grid lock.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Quote:
I was expecting the traffic in CC to me much worse than it is. More congestion but not massive grid lock.
I agree. It is quieter without the buses too.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:08 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
I don't fault them for striking. I do fault them for using picketers to block regional rail access. That's an unfair labor practice, and I hope they get slammed for it (though expecting the NLRB to hold them accountable is a pipe dream).

Old 11-02-2016, 05:08 AM

14,182 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Does it mean anything that Septa's Regional Rail has, to my knowledge, never had a deadly accident like the really bad one on the Metro-North a couple of years ago wrt the engineer speeding through a curve or the NJT collision into the Hoboken Station last week? Sounds like there may be some over-confidence involved especially with the Metro-North accident.
There was that aforementioned crash at Southampton on the Newtown Branch in 1982. But that's about it for the railroad under SEPTA operation, save for a much less serious collision between two trains on the single-track outer end of the Warminster branch in the 1990s. But I don't think that one caused any fatalities, only injuries; the train crew of the train that was moving was able to flee the cab before the train struck the stopped one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don't fault them for striking. I do fault them for using picketers to block regional rail access. That's an unfair labor practice, and I hope they get slammed for it (though expecting the NLRB to hold them accountable is a pipe dream).
SEPTA obtained a court injunction restraining pickets from blocking Regional Rail facilities. I've seen this dance before.

Anyone here think a state law modeled on the Federal one governing railway labor disputes is a good idea? (Federal railway labor law contains provisions that impose a 90-day cooling-off period, accompanied by the appointment of a mediation board that investigates the dispute and makes recommendations that both sides then vote to accept or reject, in the event of a railroad strike.)

Old 11-02-2016, 06:24 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,056 times
Pennsylvania needs a version of New York's Taylor Law, which basically makes it illegal for transit workers to strike. Back during the 2005 New York City strike, the Union boss actually went to jail for a few days because he led the strike.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
An injunction was put in place to prevent it again.

My concern is , if it goes on, how it might affect voter turn out next Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia