Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 05:49 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Rizzo was a two term mayor. If he was so bad, why was he re-elected, then if he hadn't died he may have been elected to a third term. Yes, he was controversial, but he kept law, and order during a time when cities like L.A. had the Watts riots, death, and destruction. Remember the MOVE debacle happened under Black mayor, Wilson Goode, who gave the order to drop the bomb, and burn down an entire neighborhood.
Rizzo was almost recalled. Why do people forget that?

And the first MOVE debacle, in 1979, was under Rizzo. It brought on the bigger MOVE debacle in 1985 under
Goode.

I hated MOVE more than Rizzo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 06:10 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Rizzo was almost recalled. Why do people forget that?

And the first MOVE debacle, in 1979, was under Rizzo. It brought on the bigger MOVE debacle in 1985 under
Goode.

I hated MOVE more than Rizzo.

I wanted to live in that 32nd and Powelton area when in the early 2000's and had no idea about all the drama that went on there in the summer of 1978.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I wanted to live in that 32nd and Powelton area when in the early 2000's and had no idea about all the drama that went on there in the summer of 1978.
The house that MOVE lived in was immediately torn directly afterward....like within hours. That original mess festered for weeks prior to the original 70s shoot out. I remember streets being blocked around there.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
The house that MOVE lived in was immediately torn directly afterward....like within hours. That original mess festered for weeks prior to the original 70s shoot out. I remember streets being blocked around there.
Wonder why it took so long to get them out of the house? I believe that whole move thing went on for years in the 70's. That area was always referred to as the "under world" in the neighborhood I grew up in because it was below 34th street.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:35 PM

10 posts, read 9,510 times
Quote:
I'm curious, did that take place where the park is right now?

Old 11-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolski71 View Post
It happened on 33rd street between Powelton Ave and Pearl Street. The park is located on 32nd and Powelton Avenue which was one block down and another block over.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:29 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
Regarding statues: They should probably remove the ugly, aggressive, black power hairpick while they're at it.
Talk about 'divisive ...' The inmates are running the asylum.
Put the Rizzo statue in Packer Park, where the Italian-Americans can appreciate it.
You do know what that Afro pick is part of, right?

It will go away when the "Monument Lab" exhibit/project ends in the middle of this month.

There are 20 "prototype monuments" in all in locations around the city. Many of them respond to their surroundings in some way, IMO none better than Germantown's "The Battle is Joined," where artist Karyn Oliver encased the Battle of Germantown Memorial in Vernon Park in reflective metal. This act both makes monument and setting one and makes the observer part of the memorial.

I still think the Italian Market a better location for it, even if the market isn't as Italian as it used to be. There's already a mural to the man there (it's the most frequently defaced of all the murals Mural Arts Philadelphia has sponsored).

Quote:
It's too many important things on my mind to think about a statue which is why this news story is silly.
You're not the only person living in the city. Obviously a number of people disagreed with you. I certainly agree with you that there are more pressing matters than this, but there were some who cared enough about this one to get it on the agenda for a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Rizzo was a two term mayor. If he was so bad, why was he re-elected, then if he hadn't died he may have been elected to a third term. Yes, he was controversial, but he kept law, and order during a time when cities like L.A. had the Watts riots, death, and destruction. Remember the MOVE debacle happened under Black mayor, Wilson Goode, who gave the order to drop the bomb, and burn down an entire neighborhood.
As someone else already pointed out, there was a recall petition circulated that got enough signatures to place the question on the ballot. It never got there because a judge said such an effort was not allowed under the Home Rule Charter.

Rizzo also tried to amend that charter so that he could seek a third consecutive term as mayor. That effort did make it onto the ballot, and the voters defeated it.

Quote:
Wonder why it took so long to get them out of the house? I believe that whole move thing went on for years in the 70's. That area was always referred to as the "under world" in the neighborhood I grew up in because it was below 34th street.
MOVE also festered for several months when it took up residence on the 6200 block of Osage Avenue.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
So long ago and I honestly no longer remember many details.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolski71 View Post
No. It happened on 33rd St, between Powelton and Baring, east sound of 33rd. Village Cleaners is on the ne corner.
An apt building(s) was built where the MOVE house was.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:27 AM

635 posts, read 1,165,739 times
Rizzo was a good guy who protected and looked after the white neighborhoods. We still love him in the suburbs and we’ll gladly accept the statue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia