Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:11 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is such a city of neighborhoods.

-- Do you get out an explore the city?
-- How often do you leave your neighborhood for OTHER than for work?

I ask because, it just so happens that I live and work in the same neighborhood. And the only thing that takes me a bit farther way from it is shopping, which I do in the suburbs.

I might go downtown (to Center City) once a year maybe.

But that might me normal for many if not most Philadelphians.
How often does someone from the Northeast go to SW and vice versa?
How often does someone from Fishtown or Bridesburg or Queen Village go to Mount Airy or Oak Lane?
How often would someone from West Philly go to the far Northeast?
Why would a person in Chestnut Hill need to go to Eastwick?

There's nothing wrong with NOT going...it's just that usually there's no reason to go.
Most times, any and all shopping a person would need would be closer than going all the way across the city.

With so much of the conversation on the Philly board being about Center City.....how vibrant it is, what it has to offer.....it just reminded me that I hardly ever, ever go there. I'd go to University City before I'd go downtown. I go to Springfield, Media -- and even Delaware for shopping -- more than I go downtown. I bet people who live in the Northeast shop on Roosevelt Blvd or go to Bucks or MontCo before even thinking about going downtown.

When I visit friends in Mount Airy, we go to Flourtown and Plymouth Meeting (or Chestnut Hill). We don't even THINK about coming downtown. Maybe we're just not city folk.

We happen to live in the city. But that's just about ALL we do in the city: live here. (and pay taxes, of course!)

I won't say it's to the point where I don't even identify as being from Philly. It's not that. I will say I don't identify with most of what goes on in Philly, politically and socially. And I recently asked myself what AM I living in Philly for. If I moved just two blocks across the city limit, it wouldn't change the activities of my daily life one bit. Maybe there are so many hidden that benefits I take for granted. But I sure can't think of any off the top of my head right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 AM

288 posts, read 244,980 times
Philly is a large city in terms of land and the density is pretty low in most of the city. It can certainly feel like NOT part of a city. I think your sentiments are a lifestyle thing. I'm early 30's, live in Fishtown and I go into Center City and other neighborhoods quite often:

- West Philly on Mondays for softball
- University City for drinks after softball
- Wissahickon/Manayunk by bike
- CC for food/groceries (RTM)
- Chinatown for lunch/dinner
- S. Philly for lunch/dinner (Passyunk, viet places, etc.)

It is indeed a vibrant city with lots of amenities and activities, IF your lifestyle and social life is geared towards taking advantage of it.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:39 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
I'm retired so I'm not constrained by time. I don't have kids/grandkids. I don't have a spouse. My parents passed years ago so I no longer have elder care duties. My time is, generally, my time.

I pretty much go all over the city. Lately I have spent more time in the NE which I, truthfully, had not prior to a couple of years ago. Given that I live in a terrific city neighborhood guarantees that I'm city boaster. Well, I like cities and urban living and always have.

Wrt the suburbs I hit Main Line towns, in part, because that's where I grew up and I know them better than I know other towns.
My niece lives in Secane DelCo, so I go there as well. The rest of my local family lives in W. Philly(Haddington/Carroll Park), East Falls, Bryn Mawr and Lancaster(PA). So, yes, I go to all of those.

Your question about whether you are a Philadelphian if you don't interact with the city all that much. Of course you are. I don't see any conflict.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times
I largely agree with BK; it's a lifestyle thing. I also think it's an age thing, to a degree. An example: when I was single and in my early- to mid-30s, I went out with a friend to what was advertised as a "lounge" in Center City (don't ask me the name of it, it was over 10 years ago, lol). It wasn't "loungy" at all; it was definitely more "clubby." At that moment, my previous-held notion that going out versus not going out was a single versus married thing evaporated. I realized that it had nothing to do with being married versus being single. I was simply too old to enjoy (personally) loud, thumping music that makes conversation impossible.

So, age and lifestyle, IMO.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:19 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
It sounds like your list of reasons for leaving your neighborhood are very task-oriented. I don't really do many large tasks in the city either (i.e. shopping, car repair, etc...), but I certainly socialize around the entire contingency of center city and take full advantage of the city offerings. I should also note that there are certain tasks that lend themselves to the city. For instance, I get my suits and dress clothes from a store that only exists in five major U.S. cities (Philly being one of these). If I lived in the burbs I would still have to come into town to do this as they are far superior to anything I could get in a department store. Also, my drycleaner is literally 500 feet from my home and super cheap and fast in order to compete with all the others in the city.

But anyway, my main reasons for living in the city are not task-based. I have friends in many different neighborhoods and I enjoy taking the bus or subway across town to meet at a cool new brewery or restaurant. I also head out solo if no one is around or if I want some solitude and explore those hidden areas of town with unbelievable history from hundreds of years ago. I enjoy running on Del Ave and seeing the river and the happy families and people milling around enjoying the day. I'll frequently run up the Market Street steps and head back home via Front street for a change of pace and visuals. I also attend several of the multitudes of festivals each summer, as well as take in a few plays on Avenue of the Arts. If I'm bored, I can walk one block to my local pub where everyone is friendly and talk some Phillies or local real estate predictions or politics for a few hours. If I have a free day or a lazy Saturday and last-minute decide to catch a Phillies game, I just hop on the subway and in 15 minutes I'm at the stadium. Meeting friends to tailgate for the Eagles - same scenario.

About a year ago, My GF and I decided to quadrant the city into little mini-neighborhoods and try to experience a number of BYO restaurants. It took us almost a year of once-a-week dinners, and the number of small, eclectic and totally unique places we discovered was pretty amazing. We stumbled across side streets still lined with cobblestone (or river rock or whatever is the correct phrase for the colonial paving stones) that were obviously built for carriages not cars. I've lived in the city for 20 years and I found areas I had never even heard of. Not to mention the styles of food I was introduced to.

In short, I can't fathom living in the suburbs because that wouldn't accommodate my preferred lifestyle. I would rather walk, run or take public transportation than drive. I would rather be around vibrancy and diversity than quiet and sameness. I lean more toward newness and expanding my experiences than preferring "tried and true." Not knowing your preferences for hobbies and use of spare time, none of the above might be important to you. If that's the case, then yes, you might be happier in a suburban environment.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 AM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
I agree that it is more a personality trait than anything else. I am the type that likes to go out and explore. I live in Mt. Airy and work in Center City but I find myself all over the place and not just in the City. This past weekend I found my self at Love City Brewing in Callowhill and the Patio beer garden next door. Saturday I found myself in Doylestown. Sunday we met friends for brunch in the KOP town center. This is a pretty typical for us. Though we also often go out in Mt. Airy/Chestnut Hill.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I largely agree with BK; it's a lifestyle thing. I also think it's an age thing, to a degree. An example: when I was single and in my early- to mid-30s, I went out with a friend to what was advertised as a "lounge" in Center City (don't ask me the name of it, it was over 10 years ago, lol). It wasn't "loungy" at all; it was definitely more "clubby." At that moment, my previous-held notion that going out versus not going out was a single versus married thing evaporated. I realized that it had nothing to do with being married versus being single. I was simply too old to enjoy (personally) loud, thumping music that makes conversation impossible.

So, age and lifestyle, IMO.

I've apparently always been to old to enjoy clubby places with loud thumping music lol. I have always appreciated that Philly night life is much more bar oriented vs club oriented.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Yeah, I guess social life is what gets people out and about the most.
If you live in the far Northeast, what would get you out to SW? Visiting friends most likely....

I was in college before I went to Mt Airy....I didn't know from Mt Airy and Oak Lane?
They were "all up there together." Mt Airy Airy, Oak Lane, whatever.... I realize to those who live there it was dismissive (unintentionally of course) Now of course, I get it.

People are very neighborhood protective. You'd better not confuse Overbrook with Wynnefield ! OR Bridesburg and Port Richmond.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
I live in Mt. Airy now. Here is what my local travel looks like:

- Center City daily for work; sometimes on weekends to Old City or someplace else to go out or spend an afternoon.
- Port Richmond to visit family
- Fishtown for food or an outing on occasion
- Passyunk Square since I still own a house there and for an occasional trip (food/restaurant)
- Chestnut Hill on weekends to go out, take a walk, etc.
- Germantown on occasion for a site here/there.
- University City rarely, but maybe to see a movie or to change things up.
- Far Northeast occasionally to see family
- Occasional afternoon on the weekend to one of the surrounding suburbs like Doylestown

We love city life and use public transportation or walk a lot. I've still never been to KOP mall or any other mall in Philadelphia.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
I would say the Northeast is the only area where people never seemed to come and go (at least in my social group).

When I lived in Philadelphia I was all over. I definitely think its GENERALLY an age thing/ newer residents tend to explore more.

Though I did find myself going to the suburbs a lot more for shopping and other activities vs now I never leave Manhattan when I am actually here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia