Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next Neighborhood(s)
Templetown 2 5.71%
Point Breeze 8 22.86%
Gray's Ferry 0 0%
Pennsport 6 17.14%
Delaware Riverfront (Frankford to Washington Ave) 4 11.43%
East Mount Airy 6 17.14%
South Kensington 7 20.00%
Brewerytown 10 28.57%
OTHER 10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 03:27 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,787,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_phl_del View Post
Yeh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 06:42 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,231,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
No, I don't think it's wishful thinking. The neighborhood is already pretty safe, DT Mt. Airy is getting better. Although the next step would be getting a nice small specialty market or bakery (yes, I know the Mexican joint has a bakery). The housing stock is amazing and after living in a row house, it's a huge step up IMO. Larger stone houses with more light and a mix of duplexes and singles. There are townhouses as well of course.

On the other hand, I think the neighborhood is strong enough already that it won't be "Hot". I think that title will probably go to Brewerytown, Point Breeze, etc.

The Frosted Fox is very well regarded. On the lower end of Mt. Airy - near Upsal. Check it out. Only dessert stuff.

Little Jimmy had a go at a bakery nearby too and didn't pan out.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:46 AM

4,743 posts, read 4,447,050 times
Interesting.
As of this moment, 3 way tie for
Point Breeze
Pennsport
E Mt Airy
closely trailing is Brewerytown.
Will be checking back to see the progression.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,891,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
The Frosted Fox is very well regarded. On the lower end of Mt. Airy - near Upsal. Check it out. Only dessert stuff.

Little Jimmy had a go at a bakery nearby too and didn't pan out.
There are some real gems on that strip of GT Ave. Malelani Cafe is one of them!

Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,238,009 times
Here are some thoughts to elaborate on my votes:

Templetown: Templetown is an EXPANSIVE neighborhood, with the borders generally considered to be Susquehanna Avenue (with overflow reaching as far north as Cumberland Street) to the north, Girard Avenue to the south, Ridge Avneue and 22nd Street to the west, and the Broad Street to the east. Most of it will continue to be a repository for student housing, which doesn't really add much to a neighborhood. The part of the neighborhood that WILL be hot, however, is what I consider the to be the area that is not exclusively student or full of locals: Girard Avenue to the south, Master Street to the north, Broad Street to the east, and Ridge Avenue to the west. There is a lot of open land in this area, which can easily absorb the overflow of residents looking to locate themselves near Francisville. I can picture this part of the neighborhood being marketed more towards young professionals than students.

South Kensington: This neighborhood is on fire and seems to change a little more each time I leave and come back. I don't really need to drop much input, as this neighborhood has several key components to continue its wave of success: proximity to the El, interesting shops and restaurants, proximity to other developed centers, etc.

OTHER: I'm banking on several neighborhoods that I don't usually see placed among those that will be "next": West Kensington, Belmont, East Parkside, Strawberry Mansion, Cobbs Creek, and Kingsessing. North Central and Nicetown may also be candidates to be "next" if significant developments occur near North Philadelphia/North Broad and Wayne Junction Stations, respectively. Among middle neighborhoods, Olney and Lawncrest may have a chance. Finally, my two very far-out bets would be on Frankford and Harrowgate.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

Templetown: Templetown is an EXPANSIVE neighborhood, with the borders generally considered to be Susquehanna Avenue (with overflow reaching as far north as Cumberland Street) to the north, Girard Avenue to the south, Ridge Avneue and 22nd Street to the west, and the Broad Street to the east. Most of it will continue to be a repository for student housing, which doesn't really add much to a neighborhood. The part of the neighborhood that WILL be hot, however, is what I consider the to be the area that is not exclusively student or full of locals: Girard Avenue to the south, Master Street to the north, Broad Street to the east, and Ridge Avenue to the west. There is a lot of open land in this area, which can easily absorb the overflow of residents looking to locate themselves near Francisville. I can picture this part of the neighborhood being marketed more towards young professionals than students.

South Kensington: This neighborhood is on fire and seems to change a little more each time I leave and come back. I don't really need to drop much input, as this neighborhood has several key components to continue its wave of success: proximity to the El, interesting shops and restaurants, proximity to other developed centers, etc.

OTHER: I'm banking on several neighborhoods that I don't usually see placed among those that will be "next": West Kensington, Belmont, East Parkside, Strawberry Mansion, Cobbs Creek, and Kingsessing. North Central and Nicetown may also be candidates to be "next" if significant developments occur near North Philadelphia/North Broad and Wayne Junction Stations, respectively. Among middle neighborhoods, Olney and Lawncrest may have a chance. Finally, my two very far-out bets would be on Frankford and Harrowgate.
In the Phila. 2035 thread there's a post about Fox Chase and Bustleton being "hot" areas for affordable housing. So, heck, anything might happen.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 960,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post

Templetown: Very true, I'm an "East of Broader" for the most part, so was thinking more when Girard from around 4th to 9th connects with, say around Berks. The Badlands are getting squeezed by development. Not sure this will fill in quickly, but I honestly think it's connecting eventually. However, you bring up a good parameter of Ridge Ave and Broad. I can totally see Francisville leak north.

South Kensington: Question: I feel like it's just too expansive. Thoughts?

OTHER: Here's where we disagree substantially...
- W. Kensington: yes, possibly but a lot needs to happen to spark this
- Belmont: Hmmm. This area never seems to progress
- East Parkside: Great Housing, would love it to happen, but lotta ground to cover
- Strawberry Mansion: See above. I would actually move there tomorrow if it was on the way up.
- Cobbs Creek: Seriously?
- Kingsessing: Didn't the city just mark half the neighborhood for affordable housing and/or section 8?
- Nicetown: Pretty far up there
- Olney: Not really sure about this
- Lawncrest: Really really far out from where the city development is happening
- Harrowgate: I don't really see this at all

Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 AM

333 posts, read 284,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
- East Parkside: Great Housing, would love it to happen, but lotta ground to cover
- Strawberry Mansion: See above. I would actually move there tomorrow if it was on the way up.
- Kingsessing: Didn't the city just mark half the neighborhood for affordable housing and/or section 8?
I think this raises an important consideration. The places that we've already seen turn over are the places closer to the city, with great public transit access. A lot of what we've seen has followed heavy rail; NoLibs, Fishtown, and borders of Kensington have changed in no small part because they border the El, which provides convenient access to CC. Likewise, South Philly has seen the most movement in areas that border the BSL, and that's one reason why Point Breeze is finally hot.

So in looking ahead, I think we still need to give priority to the close, heavy transit-driven areas. Yes, we're starting to move farther out as more stuff gets developed, but there is still plenty of infill available in places with staggeringly great access to CC. That's why I think the more far-flung places I've heard mentioned--like Olney, Harrowgate, Lawncrest, even Frankford--I think are too far removed to be good options right now. Eventually, sure, the bones are there, but there are much more convenient options that will go first.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Templetown: Very true, I'm an "East of Broader" for the most part, so was thinking more when Girard from around 4th to 9th connects with, say around Berks. The Badlands are getting squeezed by development. Not sure this will fill in quickly, but I honestly think it's connecting eventually. However, you bring up a good parameter of Ridge Ave and Broad. I can totally see Francisville leak north.

South Kensington: Question: I feel like it's just too expansive. Thoughts?

Cobbs Creek and Angora have incredible houses....some houses that would cost a million or more to recreate now. It's worth more attention. But, too many people have a really false impression of them...you apparently.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:11 AM

1,214 posts, read 960,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
I think this raises an important consideration. The places that we've already seen turn over are the places closer to the city, with great public transit access. A lot of what we've seen has followed heavy rail; NoLibs, Fishtown, and borders of Kensington have changed in no small part because they border the El, which provides convenient access to CC. Likewise, South Philly has seen the most movement in areas that border the BSL, and that's one reason why Point Breeze is finally hot.

So in looking ahead, I think we still need to give priority to the close, heavy transit-driven areas. Yes, we're starting to move farther out as more stuff gets developed, but there is still plenty of infill available in places with staggeringly great access to CC. That's why I think the more far-flung places I've heard mentioned--like Olney, Harrowgate, Lawncrest, even Frankford--I think are too far removed to be good options right now. Eventually, sure, the bones are there, but there are much more convenient options that will go first.
This is my thinking exactly and it's reflected in the poll options. But that's why these kind of surveys are interesting - different views from people more familiar with different areas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia