Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
So half of Norristown, King of Prussia, and the Montgomery mall are outside the Metro???

Actually 29 Miles from Southern Quakertown to Ogantz Ave.

Only in Your opinion....I respectfully think that is to small. Using your criteria we are probably excluding half a million (or more) people who spend their Friday nights at Ruth's Chris on S. Broad.

Philly culture, commuting, media, etc do not stop at a 25 mile circu****ence.

Odd, you want to include West Chester, but not Montongomeryville? Hatboro, but not Doylstown? Collegeville is in, but the North Penn school district is out?

I consider NorthWest to be 422 towards Pottstown / Reading. North is 476 or 309 or 611 towards Quakertown / Allentown. West is 30 or 3 towards Downingtown / Coatsville.

The most densely populated directions are North and NorthWest. So I would extend the metro all the way north to Quakertown / Doylestown and all the way NorthWest to Pottstown. I would go as far west as Coatsville.

Ask people in any one of these border towns, "what do you hate the most about SEPTA".....I bet you get an ear full.

Take a valium picky-ricky.I thought I was anal but you have me beat by a country mile or perhaps more like 20 country miles between Montgomeryville and Quakertown.

Its good to know people in the nether regions of the metro are so defensive about being left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Take a valium picky-ricky.I thought I was anal but you have me beat by a country mile or perhaps more like 20 country miles between Montgomeryville and Quakertown.
I'm being picky-ricky??? Ok...I'll give you that. Let's just agree that I'm right and I'll stop ;-) Just kidding. No more nit-picking

Quote:
Its good to know people in the nether regions of the metro are so defensive about being left out.
If that's the case then I should be REALLY defensive.......I live in Suburban Pittsburgh.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:37 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
If that's the case then I should be REALLY defensive.......I live in Suburban Pittsburgh.
Don't feel badly. I live in Suburban Scranton, yet I'm watching as horror as Pike and Monroe Counties, adjacent to my own, are becoming integral parts of the NYC MSA.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:00 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
zip,
The people in the counties not in the traditional Phil metro areas don't neccessarily commute or maybe even care about center city Philadelphia. When my husband and I lived in Delaware and Chester counties we didn't commute or have that much more to do with Philadelphia then we do now living in Lehigh county. Many people commute to the other suburbs, not to the city. My husband worked for GE and commuted to King of Prussia for many years. Some people commuted to Wilmington. We never lived in Philadelphia or it's inner suburbs so there was no attachment. Lot's of people are like that. Just because there is growth spreading outside of Philadelphia, doesn't mean that it's FROM Philadelphia. As far as I know SEPTA doesn't go into Quakertown and there sure isn't any regional rail there either. Guess we could complain about that.

But thanks for the insight from Pitt!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:16 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
You have to draw a line somewhere and for me its the 202 corridor. Technically I suppose Quakertown would be considered metro Philadelphia but its 50 miles from Philadelphia- thats about the same distance as Lancaster-Philaldephia.

The 25 mile circu****ence is a truer gauge for Philadelphia which is a big but not supersized metro(NYC-Chi-LA) That takes you from Chadds Ford-West Chester- Collegeville-Ambler-Hatboro. In due time development will expand NW but not just yet imo.

I think if you're talking about most of Philly's older suburbs, you'd be right -- but as someone who grew up in more recently suburban area NW of Philadelphia, I can attest to the fact that development already HAS expanded, and quite much so. Just look at the commuter corridor surrounding 422 and you will know exactly what I'm talking about -- housing developments, strip malls, and office centers seemingly springing out of no where. The 25 mile "cut" also excludes historically important towns like Phoenixville and Pottstown, which are inextricably linked to the Philadelphia region. No, Philadelphia's metro region is not as as large as NYC's, Chicago's, or LA's, but it is certainly next in line. I'm not trying to turn this into a huge debate, but I honestly don't think that anything less than a metropolitan radius of 50 miles (if not more) gives justice to the cultural and geographical impact of our nation's fifth largest city.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
zip,
The people in the counties not in the traditional Phil metro areas don't neccessarily commute or maybe even care about center city Philadelphia. When my husband and I lived in Delaware and Chester counties we didn't commute or have that much more to do with Philadelphia then we do now living in Lehigh county. Many people commute to the other suburbs, not to the city. My husband worked for GE and commuted to King of Prussia for many years. Some people commuted to Wilmington. We never lived in Philadelphia or it's inner suburbs so there was no attachment. Lot's of people are like that. Just because there is growth spreading outside of Philadelphia, doesn't mean that it's FROM Philadelphia. As far as I know SEPTA doesn't go into Quakertown and there sure isn't any regional rail there either. Guess we could complain about that.

I know plenty of people in this boat as well -- commuting to OTHER suburbs instead of the city itself. However, these suburbs, especially King of Prussia in its provision of economic/consumer significance to the region due to the lack of a more solidified upscale shopping district in Philly, for example, did indeed spawn orginially as a result of families' desires to depart from Philadelphia. Principally, that is the impetus for all suburbia -- providing a life (ideally) without the hectic, risky, and often more expensive lifestyle of the city.

As for the Lehigh Valley being included in Metro Philadelphia, they are still definitely two independent entities -- but it would be very inaccurate to deny that there is any overlap. If I can still hear KYW in Allentown, I think that speaks volume. Literally.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
zip,

Your entire post disputes points that you have created from thin air. None of my posts said anything like this.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:48 PM

What's the story in Jersery and Delaware. I hear NYC MSA is starting to approach Trenton.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Look zip, the people that actually live in Eastern PA have given you our feelings (me ) and definitions (rainrock and dunderino) and you just don't agree. So what? Why is it so important to you that the greater Philadelphia area includes more areas?

Old 05-31-2007, 09:51 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
I think the Philly metro area reached further when Ed Rendell was the mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia