Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Annie,
How do you know this? Are you an anthropologist or sociologist who has studied the male sex practices of different cultures?
Some people without PhDs in antrhopology or sociology, have actually paid attention to what is going on around them, and thought inquisitively about human culture and relationships, and made observations and drawn conclusions, and refined them over time through their own experiences and from casual reading of the findings of others. For some people, it is not essential to get a PhD in order to have basic understanding and valid opinions. But you may discard what I've just said, because I do not have the requisite PhD in philosophy to have a valid opinion about that.

But to demand a degree sure works to belittle someone whose opinion is different from your own un-degreed opinion, doesn't it?

Last edited by jtur88; 05-30-2013 at 07:59 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 09:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Some people without PhDs in antrhopology or sociology, have actually paid attention to what is going on around them, and thought inquisitively about human culture and relationships, and made observations and drawn conclusions, and refined them over time through their own experiences and from casual reading of the findings of others. For some people, it is not essential to get a PhD in order to have basic understanding and valid opinions. But you may discard what I've just said, because I do not have the requisite PhD in philosophy to have a valid opinion about that.

But to demand a degree sure works to belittle someone whose opinion is different from your own un-degreed opinion, doesn't it?
She stated:

Quote:
Men in all cultures will go through all sorts of intellectual somersaults to
justify having sex with someone they shouldn't.
Did I in anyway demand that she needs a PhD to have an opinion? When she states, "Men in all cultures," she comes across as someone who has done research in this field. I certainly do not know what men in other cultures do to justify having sex.

How do you find my question belittling and how do you know what my opinion is since I did not provide an opinion? You are also making assumptions about my education.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
She stated:

Did I in anyway demand that she needs a PhD to have an opinion? When she states, "Men in all cultures," she comes across as someone who has done research in this field. I certainly do not know what men in other cultures do to justify having sex.

How do you find my question belittling and how do you know what my opinion is since I did not provide an opinion? You are also making assumptions about my education.
Posts would be way too long for anybody to read, if we were all required to satisfy a requirement that we would say "Men in virtually all the cultures that I know about and am familiar with exhibit certain patterns of behavior that would generally be classified as being consistent with those referenced by the OP relative to male courting habits within the context of both formal and casual relationships, as defined by the customs of the relevant country, given that differences in many aspects of general cultural behavior and the effects of global emigration no doubt produce some inconsistencies in the observable data as well as contributing to a certain amount of undefined or undifferentiated gray area where cultures overlap", adding the disclaimer that "I am not a professional practitioner of any academic field that specializes in the study of this kind of social behavior".

So, for casual discussion purposes, for people who have the leisure to sit around at a computer keyboard surfing various forums, what the poster said implies the above, without the necessity to explicitly say so, and it suffices to say "That's what everybody does", without coming across (to me, at least) as a person who has done considerable research in the field.

No, I made no assumption at all about your education, nor any other attribute that you might possess. But if you do possess an observant nature, open mind and a curiosity, it would behoove you to grant other people the benefit of the doubt as to whether they do, too, and have the capacity for a certain amount of auto-didactic learning without the benefit of hallowed halls of academia or fellowship in professional societies.

If I go on the Hockey forum and comment on the Black Hawks win last night, it is condescendingly belittling for you to reply asking me for my academic credentials to make a commonplace observation of what was there for everyone to see.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-30-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Posts would be way too long for anybody to read, if we were all required to satisfy a requirement that we would say "Men in virtually all the cultures that I know about and am familiar with exhibit certain patterns of behavior that would generally be classified as being consistent with those referenced by the OP relative to male courting habits within the context of both formal and casual relationships, as defined by the customs of the relevant country, given that differences in many aspects of general cultural behavior and the effects of global emigration no doubt produce some inconsistencies in the observable data as well as contributing to a certain amount of undefined or undifferentiated gray area where cultures overlap", adding the disclaimer that "I am not a professional practitioner of any academic field that specializes in the study of this kind of social behavior".

So, for casual discussion purposes, for people who have the leisure to sit around at a computer keyboard surfing various forums, what the poster said implies the above, without the necessity to explicitly say so, and it suffices to say "That's what everybody does", without coming across (to me, at least) as a person who has done considerable research in the field.

No, I made no assumption at all about your education, nor any other attribute that you might possess. But if you do possess an observant nature, open mind and a curiosity, it would behoove you to grant other people the benefit of the doubt as to whether they do, too, and have the capacity for a certain amount of auto-didactic learning without the benefit of hallowed halls of academia or fellowship in professional societies.

If I go on the Hockey forum and comment on the Black Hawks win last night, it is condescendingly belittling for you to reply asking me for my academic credentials to make a commonplace observation of what was there for everyone to see.
I agree that it would be condescendingly belittling of me to ask for your academic credentials in reference to a comment on the Black Hawk's win last night, but I might be interested in what level of hockey experience you have to judge the credibility of your comment.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM

19,971 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusprimeyo View Post
thus, unless anyone can convince me otherwise with a logical reason why a happy ending is an 'immoral' thing to do, then i will go and partake in it. it seems like this is the right time (being single, young and decent looking still) right place (extreme liberal sexuality) and since i'll be leaving thailand in a while, the only opportunity i'll have to do it as i think these arguments don't extend to north american culture & happy endings as well as they do here.
I don't see the appeal, personally. It seems like masturbation only more expensive and time consuming and impersonal. And probably, less consistently satisfactory.

However ... it also sounds like a victimless activity, so I'd say, go get it out of your system so long as you don't think you'll feel subjectively pathetic or nasty afterwards. With all your irrelevant talk about still being fairly good looking, I'm guessing there's a subjective fantasy aspect to the whole thing for you. I'm sure they will take a sagging, puckered 75 year old guy's money as happily as they'll take yours though ...

Old 05-31-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I agree that it would be condescendingly belittling of me to ask for your academic credentials in reference to a comment on the Black Hawk's win last night, but I might be interested in what level of hockey experience you have to judge the credibility of your comment.
I haven't seen any such posts from you in the Hockey forum. I've never had a pair of ice skates on my feet, but I watch hockey avidly and have a fairly comprehensive understanding of that game, as well as other sports. So now you can judge my credibility. If you are "interested" in my level of hockey experience, there are back channel ways for you to ask, without impugning my knowledge in an open forum by declaring that I probably have insufficient knowledge to proffer an observation.

How is it possible that one can become so knowledgeable about ice hockey without any formal training, but anthropology and sociology are so arcane and shrouded in mystery, that even basic understanding of their cabal is denied those who do not successfully penetrate the inner circle of the illuminati who can call themselves "anthropologists" or "socioologists" and therefore meet your criteria of expertise?

Since you are not, apparently, an anthropologist or a sociologist (nor anything else) admitted to learned and professional societies, is if safe for me to presume that you have absolutely no valid opinions about either discipline (nor anything else), and everything you might offer as insight should be dismissed out of hand? Including some general and casual observations about how people behave?

This has gone on long enough. My whole argument with you, sir, is that you have very improperly responded to the post of Annie3, and in my opinion, you owe her an apology. If I also owe you one, you have it.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-31-2013 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen any such posts from you in the Hockey forum. I've never had a pair of ice skates on my feet, but I watch hockey avidly and have a fairly comprehensive understanding of that game, as well as other sports. So now you can judge my credibility. If you are "interested" in my level of hockey experience, there are back channel ways for you to ask, without impugning my knowledge in an open forum by declaring that I probably have insufficient knowledge to proffer an observation.

How is it possible that one can become so knowledgeable about ice hockey without any formal training, but anthropology and sociology are so arcane and shrouded in mystery, that even basic understanding of their cabal is denied those who do not successfully penetrate the inner circle of the illuminati who can call themselves "anthropologists" or "socioologists" and therefore meet your criteria of expertise?

Since you are not, apparently, an anthropologist or a sociologist (nor anything else) admitted to learned and professional societies, is if safe for me to presume that you have absolutely no valid opinions about either discipline (nor anything else), and everything you might offer as insight should be dismissed out of hand? Including some general and casual observations about how people behave?

This has gone on long enough. My whole argument with you, sir, is that you have very improperly responded to the post of Annie3, and in my opinion, you owe her an apology. If I also owe you one, you have it.
You are entitled to your opinion. This discussion was about "happy ending massage & morality," and you have attempted to hijack it to provide yourself a forum to ramble on about nothing.

BTW, I have played basketball all my life and couldn't tell you why they have those blue lines on the ice, but I know they are there.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:18 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
Default May not be entirely immoral, but such low class

You go through quite a few hoops to justify paying a Thai woman who wouldn't ordinarily "rub one out" for you without you paying her, to rub one out. Morality comes in when 1) you pay a woman for sexual favors and you're married; 2) she is underage; or 3) she is being coerced against her will to perform the act for money. As long as your experience doesn't fall into one of these categories, why the hesitation?

Count me among the men who don't partake of this sort of thing. To me there are levels of morality. Being young and single, paying a woman of legal age to give you a hand job to completion, without her being forced to do it, is not immoral, but incredibly low class. Having the social versatility and ability to get intimate with a friend in a natural way is a higher level IMO. I have always preferred to engage in these kinds of acts in a natural way with women I meet, without having to pay them. In fact, I have always preferred the caliber of woman who would never stoop this low, as to sell her body for money, or perform sexual acts on total strangers, for money. I've been married to such a gem for 24 years now.

So certainly, paying a Thai woman to give you a hand job may be OK...in its class.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 PM

4,200 posts, read 4,451,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Myself
by Edgar Guest

I have to live with myself, and so,
I want to be fit for myself to know;
I want to be able as days go by,
Always to look myself straight in the eye;
I don't want to stand with the setting sun
And hate myself for the things I've done.
I don't want to keep on a closet shelf
A lot of secrets about myself,
And fool myself as I come and go
Into thinking that nobody else will know
The kind of man I really am;
I don't want to dress myself up in sham.
I want to deserve all men's respect;
I want to go out with my head erect.
I don't want to think as I come and go
That I'm bluster and bluff and empty show.
I never can hide myself from me,
I see what others may never see,
I know what others may never know,
I never can fool myself -- and so,
Whatever happens, I want to be
Self-respecting and conscience free.
I believe OP will find solace and justification in selective interpretation by reading only lines 14 and 15!

Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
3) she is being coerced against her will to perform the act for money.
That's the sad truth about the sex trade. It's run by people who don't themselves partake in the act but coerce underlings to do so. Therein lies the lack of morality.
People have this idealized vision that a sex worker is a free spirit who chooses to barter his/her body. When so, that's well and good. Unfortunately it's exceedingly rare. Much research shows the great majority of sex workers are mercilessly, tragically abused and exploited.
No happy ending for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy