Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:29 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
You are expecting more from the Universe than it promised you. The Universe never said you would be put in a world full of compatible people. Some people only see a cruel unfeeling face and concentration camp of this world before their life is over.

And what was your problem again? You don't like people? Consider yourself lucky if that is your biggest problem.
How do you know that's his biggest problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 07:35 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principally Peter View Post
I am a 26-yo male, single, very well-educated, professional, successful...

Miserable.

I was highly motivated and idealistic in school, and went farther than anyone in my family and any of my friends. Now when I go home to visit my family and friends, I can't understand them. I see them engage in so many silly and counterproductive behaviors.

I am an engineer, and engineering gave me a new perspective on life. I see the world in terms of logic, cost, benefit, ROI, and frankly very little of what I see makes sense. I sometimes wish I had never learned of the scientific method, because it's led me to nothing but grief and heartache about the state of things.

I am an atheist, and that opens up a huge gulf between me and many people. I think that the natural world is the result of random processes and any meaning we assign to it are artefacts of the pattern-recognition regions of our brain which have been selected for by evolution. My beliefs have led me to no end of grief, but frankly I can't bring myself to believe otherwise. To do so I would be lying to myself, and you can't live that way. Not for very long at least.

I fear I am turning into Daniel Plainview from "There Will Be Blood". Here's what Dan has to say about life (copied from IMDb):

Plainview: Are you an angry man, Henry?
Henry Brands: About what?
Plainview: Are you envious? Do you get envious?
Henry Brands: I don't think so. No.
Plainview: I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people.
Henry Brands: That part of me is gone... working and not succeeding- all my failures has left me... I just don't... care.
Plainview: Well, if it's in me, it's in you. There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money that I can get away from everyone.
Henry Brands: What will you do about your boy?
Plainview: I don't know. Maybe it will change. Does your sound come back to you? I don't know. Maybe no one knows that. A doctor might not know that.
Henry Brands: Where is his mother?
Plainview: I don't want to talk about those things. I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've built my hatreds up over the years, little by little, Henry... to have you here gives me a second breath. I can't keep doing this on my own with these... people.
[laughs]

I saw this movie, and I thought, "Oh no, I'm sympathizing with the villain!" What to do? Am I just cluing in to the human condition, after years of idealistic brainwashing (by myself and others)?
Embrace it !

I've was labeled a misanthrope years ago. Although I don't find myself miserable in the slightest, I am happily married, have a very small circle of close friends and for the most part pretty much enjoy my life...as long as I can choose whom to be around. What is funny is those that know me , and know me well understand that I am happy those that don't know me think I am cynical and angry. The only time I am cynical and angry is when I have to deal with clueless , lack of common sense people which pretty much comprises up 80% of the population.

If I could I would love to just bug out and live off grid somewhere away from the idiots of society and only stay in contact with those that are worthy.
I do find though that the older I get the less and less tolerant of them.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:52 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,215,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Oh and I suppose that explains why so many perverted murderers are married men?
Well...if we accept that a lack of "getting laid" is an ingredient of most perverted murderers...then married men would make very good suspects for such crimes.

(sorry...couldn't resist it)

Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
Just a hint. Try removing the "I" from everything you talk about.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:00 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
To the OP....learn to appreciate what others have to offer and keep your glass half full instead of half empty.

Also, open yourself up to new and different experiences. Just because you are the smartest\most educated doesn't mean you can't learn something from someone. Almost everyone has something that they can teach you, especially at your age....you just need to learn to embrace that.

I struggle all the time with having patience with people that don't process things like me or as quickly as me. The best luck I've had is recognizing when I've had trouble with something or done something dumb etc. and then trying to be sympathetic and cut people slack like I'd like slack cut for me.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:23 PM

Folks...the OP hasn't logged on in 5+ years.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:17 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
wonder if he did it?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:09 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
He by now probably married , had kids and became

More Miserable

Old 12-23-2014, 09:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
lmao

Old 12-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
wonder if he did it?
Maybe? But he probably didn't use a bowling pin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy