Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 04:23 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
LOL...I didn't know that. Seriously, is there a bigger tool of a politician right now? All Ben needs is to have an affair and he would probably get the #1 ranking
He seems to have everything we have come to expect from our representatives even before he is elected.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:15 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,955,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moveeast31 View Post
Lol right?

"I was recently on tour of Latin America and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people"
Urban legend. See Snopes for more information. The senior Quayle did say some questionable things, but that wasn't one of them; it was a joke that another politician made about him.

As for carpetbagging... well, people can move here and after a few days or weeks they can vote. How is that any different?

This is democracy. Anyone can move anywhere in this country and can run for office, or vote for anyone. As someone else pointed out, Hillary moved to NYC and immediately got elected Senator of that state, something which boggled my mind.

Mod Cut: Off topic.
Now as to what the Democratic National Committee has to say about Ben Quayle: "But if he thinks a president whose actions have saved the country from a second Great Depression, reformed a broken health care system and protected consumers from the risk and greed of Wall Street merits such mention, his analysis is only slightly less ridiculous than his candidacy for public office is."

Well that speaks for itself. Maybe Quayle's not qualified for the job. But look at the attitude of the people he's opposing. They think they SAVED us. In my opinion, they've put us into deeper debt, and they're planning to raise taxes, and meanwhile there's talk about further collapse of the housing market this fall, even a meltdown of the stock market, and stubbornly high unemployment despite TRILLIONS sunk into jobs. Oh and let's not forget about that $26 billion the Democrats just voted to save the jobs of unionized government workers (who contribute millions to Democratic candidates). I'm sure gonna remember that on Election Day.

How much worse a job can BQ do than the incumbents? OK that's just my 2 cents (4 cents really, sorry for the long post)!

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-16-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-14-2010, 06:08 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

As for carpetbagging... well, people can move here and after a few days or weeks they can vote. How is that any different?
Ben Quayle has never voted in a local AZ election. True Story.

Last edited by roundball; 08-14-2010 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 06:11 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Ben Quayle has never voted in an AZ election. True Story.
I don't know much about him except for his ads and I must admit he had me fooled. I thought he really did live here and was "one of us" before all of this stuff came out.

He's not the first though. McCain started the same way. His FIL bought him a house in Tempe that he never lived in so he would have an address in that district for his first congressional run. Now look at him, Mr. Arizona.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,338,205 times
I'm interested that I haven't seen any mention here about Mr. Quayle's reported association with the infamous Arizona-based website Dirty.com. Is this story being covered in Phoenix? I asked a couple of my fellow Tucsonans if they had heard about it and they say it hasn't been reported down here at all.

I don't do the club scene and have no interest in something that appears to be (yes, I did look for five minutes to find out what the fuss was about) a sort of reader-driven Girls Gone Wild thing. Allegedly Mr. Quayle was one of its founders and, using a pseudonym, created a special column devoted to finding The Hottest Woman in Scottsdale. (I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out how the candidates were vetted.) At first, Mr. Quayle denied any association with Dirty.com, then after the current manager confirmed him as one of the founders, he claimed his participation was finding the company a lawyer and writing a few "comments" to the site. And, oh that was so-o-o long ago and he wasn't married then, etc., etc.

I honestly don't care if someone wants to BE the Hottest Woman in Scottsdale, or fool around with said person, or write about it. And if you want to participate in Dirty.com (it's nationwide now, what a coup for Arizona!), be my guest. But having looked at it, to my mind it's pretty skanky and not what I think of as an appropriate association for a member of Congress. But then again, some voters in certain states seem to have no problem with senators who frequent the DC Madam (he STILL claims to be running on "family values"!), flirt with Senate pages, or cruise everything from airports to Navy submarines, so maybe it's OK with the voters in Rep. Shadegg's district, too.

I just think they should know what they're voting for. And I will never cease to be fascinated with people who are eager to legislate my personal behavior, but who will vote for candidates who indulge in what to me are rather outrageous sexual antics. Where's the logic?

Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,486,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm interested that I haven't seen any mention here about Mr. Quayle's reported association with the infamous Arizona-based website Dirty.com. Is this story being covered in Phoenix? I asked a couple of my fellow Tucsonans if they had heard about it and they say it hasn't been reported down here at all.
It was in the OP. I agree though. As someone who is running on the "family values" ticket......

Mod Cut: Off topic.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-16-2010 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 01:56 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,900 times
I live in district three. John Shadegg is retiring the field is wide open. There are Ben Quayle signs all around my neighborhood with the others.
I haven't thought about it yet. Prior to making that controversial campaign ad, he was not well known.
He is mainly riding on this family name.
I have no reason to reject him outright but I will need more info before making any decision when I vote in the primary.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,646,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
The past 3 plus months have not been kind to AZ. This is just adding insult to injury. I feel like we're on an episode of Punk'd and everyone in the world is in on it. Right now we just can't get out of our own way. Please tell me this is some kind of joke or a nightmare so we can wake up from it. SB 1070, birther bills, inbred prison escapees, and now potatoe the sequel. Please make it stop!
LOL

But, we reap what we sow now don't we?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:15 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,646,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

I don't do the club scene and have no interest in something that appears to be (yes, I did look for five minutes to find out what the fuss was about) a sort of reader-driven Girls Gone Wild thing. Allegedly Mr. Quayle was one of its founders and, using a pseudonym, created a special column devoted to finding The Hottest Woman in Scottsdale. (I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out how the candidates were vetted.) At first, Mr. Quayle denied any association with Dirty.com, then after the current manager confirmed him as one of the founders, he claimed his participation was finding the company a lawyer and writing a few "comments" to the site. And, oh that was so-o-o long ago and he wasn't married then, etc., etc.

I honestly don't care if someone wants to BE the Hottest Woman in Scottsdale, or fool around with said person, or write about it. And if you want to participate in Dirty.com (it's nationwide now, what a coup for Arizona!), be my guest. But having looked at it, to my mind it's pretty skanky and not what I think of as an appropriate association for a member of Congress. But then again, some voters in certain states seem to have no problem with senators who frequent the DC Madam (he STILL claims to be running on "family values"!), flirt with Senate pages, or cruise everything from airports to Navy submarines, so maybe it's OK with the voters in Rep. Shadegg's district, too.

I just think they should know what they're voting for. And I will never cease to be fascinated with people who are eager to legislate my personal behavior, but who will vote for candidates who indulge in what to me are rather outrageous sexual antics. Where's the logic?
I was thinking about that too, hey, there's a lot of moral lecturing going around in certain political parties but we've all seen the outcomes of many of these politician's double standard morals. Mistresses in South America, hookers in New York, etc....
If Quayle is already lying about a sleazy publication he wrote for, then trying to amend it, what else is he going to lie about? And now his newest campaign ad slamming Obama ...what a *******.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,295,426 times
Dirty Scottsdale.com was not "sleazy" - it was a rag sure. But, nothing worse than the Az Repulsive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area