Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 AM

295 posts, read 553,190 times

Advertisements

Much does have to do with his name recognition and connections, which can go a long way. It all depends on how he stands on the issues for my household. For some, the name recognition factor could be a negative thing but there is still some time until November for candidates to express themselves.

It's going to be an exciting election November, as it usually is.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,323,900 times
As I mentioned before, a reliable barometer for predicting a winner in any given election is fund raising.
Here are the candidates for AZ Congressional District 3 and the respective amounts of money they have raised:
Ben Quayle (R) $1,344,443
Steven Carl Moak (R) $1,139,247
Vernon Parker (R) $407,099
Paulina Vasquez Morris (R) $291,143
James F. Waring (R) $237,838
Sam Crump (R) $93,271
Edwin Robert Winkler (R) $87,079
Pam Gorman (R) $79,548
Robert Lincoln Charles (R) $23,392
Robert Allen Branch (R) $12,613
Leann Hull (R) $3,200
Scott Baker (R) $0

It would be appear Quayle could win the GOP primary for District 3 on uesday (08/24).

John McCain is extremely likely to win the GOP Promary for Senate.

John McCain (R)* $26,744,104
J. D. Hayworth (R) $2,857,031
Chris Simcox (R) $113,812
Jim Deakin (R) $34,717
William Lundy (R) $0

Source

Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
As I mentioned before, a reliable barometer for predicting a winner in any given election is fund raising.
Here are the candidates for AZ Congressional District 3 and the respective amounts of money they have raised:
Ben Quayle (R) $1,344,443
Steven Carl Moak (R) $1,139,247
Vernon Parker (R) $407,099
Paulina Vasquez Morris (R) $291,143
James F. Waring (R) $237,838
Sam Crump (R) $93,271
Edwin Robert Winkler (R) $87,079
Pam Gorman (R) $79,548
Robert Lincoln Charles (R) $23,392
Robert Allen Branch (R) $12,613
Leann Hull (R) $3,200
Scott Baker (R) $0

It would be appear Quayle could win the GOP primary for District 3 on uesday (08/24).

John McCain is extremely likely to win the GOP Promary for Senate.

John McCain (R)* $26,744,104
J. D. Hayworth (R) $2,857,031
Chris Simcox (R) $113,812
Jim Deakin (R) $34,717
William Lundy (R) $0

Source

Having the most money is one thing. Spending it in a way that does not make a fool out of you is another. Quayle is trailing in recent polls after leading earlier. I think he blew it (and his Daddy's friends money).

BTW: Have you seen Paulina Morris' ad:

YouTube - Paulina Morris: Definitive Statement

Old 08-21-2010, 12:59 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,646,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I wouldn't have so much of a problem with the carpetbagger or experience issue, since everyone has to start somewhere, but that one particular commercial is just so silly, it reminds one of his father in a bad way. I laugh every time I hear this series of near non-sequiturs:

1) Obama's the worst president, ever!
2) Drug cartels in Mexico; tax cartels in Washington, what's happened to America?
3) My generation will need to pick up the pieces
4) I was raised right
5) Someone needs to go to Washington and knock the hell out of the place

Huh? Would that be him doing that? I know it's supposed to be a metaphor, but he looks too polished and prissy to be playing the part of tough guy. People like Sheriff Joe and McCain can say that and it works for them. But this guy? I dunno. Makes me laugh every time! Sorry!
yes that commercial does rub me the wrong way. I don't like the way he critisizes Obama...yes I like Obama and yes he does have challenges ahead of him still-but "the worst president ever'? that sounds like something some teenager from "Clueless" would say(hes the worst boyfriend, like ever!) its way too early to procliam Obama the worst president ever and there have definitely been worse.
I think hes trying something different in his ads, trying to make outlandish statements that will seem cool and hip. Its not working for him. IMO the only thing he has going for him is hes not bad looking...but that alone wont get him elected lol.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
yes that commercial does rub me the wrong way. I don't like the way he critisizes Obama...yes I like Obama and yes he does have challenges ahead of him still-but "the worst president ever'? that sounds like something some teenager from "Clueless" would say(hes the worst boyfriend, like ever!) its way too early to procliam Obama the worst president ever and there have definitely been worse.
I think hes trying something different in his ads, trying to make outlandish statements that will seem cool and hip. Its not working for him. IMO the only thing he has going for him is hes not bad looking...but that alone wont get him elected lol.
Well, I think Paulina Morris is the best-looker in the bunch and if I lived in that district that would seal my vote for her. Quayle looks like a pencil-necked geek. Arizona may not have the brightest bunch of reps, but they would be among the better looking with the addition of Morris.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:22 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,646,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well, I think Paulina Morris is the best-looker in the bunch and if I lived in that district that would seal my vote for her. Quayle looks like a pencil-necked geek. Arizona may not have the brightest bunch of reps, but they would be among the better looking with the addition of Morris.
Now thats why I said, hes" not bad looking"-but definitely not a hottie lol.
And I could understand where you would think Paulina is better looking

I have to laugh remembering my 18 yr old son thinking Sarah Plain was hot...lol...I told him "shame on you, shes a republican"

Old 08-21-2010, 07:25 PM

568 posts, read 1,207,645 times
Wow, Pondersosa! I have to give it to her, that Paulina Morris is one fiesty broad! Heck, I'm liberal and couldn't help but admire her chutzpah and wicked insults.

At first glance she seems a brilliant politician and certainly could go far given the right circumstances (and perhaps enough money). Objectively reviewing the ad, this is why I think it works so much better than the Quayle one(keeping in mind the target audience):

- She seems to genuinely relish her insults and delivers them with conviction; and with her body language and gestures, she shows a lot of physical energy in spite of sitting down, and having what is likely a diminutive size(how about that finger point at the end in which it looks like she might just scratch your eyes out if you get on her bad side!). Spicy little pepper, that one! But at the same time, her intensity is very controlled and laser-beamish(this is where I believe McCain sometimes suffers; his anger sometimes seems a bit out-of-control in debates, etc.). Her series of sharp insults is like watching a karate master take out a group of enemies one by one.

- In spite of her aggressiveness, she is sitting down, wearing a frilly pale silk blouse (of course with just the right amount of cleavage ), perfectly groomed for Sunday church. And she seems like she is sitting at home at a kitchen table; nice homey wood furniture surrounding, but not too ornate. Everything about it says "I am one of you". Whereas, Quayle's seems to take place in some dark, musty, old mansion library. And he walks towards the camera when delivering his final line, but with no conviction. He might as well be walking towards a wine cellar.

- She may not have written it, but the delivery of 'Quayle is the worst candidate in district 3, no experience, bad judgment'...is just so perfectly and succinctly damaging. The mocking of his ad; the reference to his 'blogging' indiscretion. Brilliant. In fact, the whole ad has the feel of something entirely ad-libbed by her; her personality and words seem perfectly in synch. And she has a great sense of timing and intonation in speech(something that I believe Sarah Palin could improve upon); as well as a very sincere-sounding righteous indignation(something that Obama could really improve upon).

- Now, if she has a little extra money, her next ad should be like McCain's; showing her soft and positive side. (Btw, a brilliant move by McCain at this point, seemingly taking the high road...a very sunny Reaganesque ad, imo).

Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
Wow, Pondersosa! I have to give it to her, that Paulina Morris is one fiesty broad! Heck, I'm liberal and couldn't help but admire her chutzpah and wicked insults.

At first glance she seems a brilliant politician and certainly could go far given the right circumstances (and perhaps enough money). Objectively reviewing the ad, this is why I think it works so much better than the Quayle one(keeping in mind the target audience):

- She seems to genuinely relish her insults and delivers them with conviction; and with her body language and gestures, she shows a lot of physical energy in spite of sitting down, and having what is likely a diminutive size(how about that finger point at the end in which it looks like she might just scratch your eyes out if you get on her bad side!). Spicy little pepper, that one! But at the same time, her intensity is very controlled and laser-beamish(this is where I believe McCain sometimes suffers; his anger sometimes seems a bit out-of-control in debates, etc.). Her series of sharp insults is like watching a karate master take out a group of enemies one by one.

- In spite of her aggressiveness, she is sitting down, wearing a frilly pale silk blouse (of course with just the right amount of cleavage ), perfectly groomed for Sunday church. And she seems like she is sitting at home at a kitchen table; nice homey wood furniture surrounding, but not too ornate. Everything about it says "I am one of you". Whereas, Quayle's seems to take place in some dark, musty, old mansion library. And he walks towards the camera when delivering his final line, but with no conviction. He might as well be walking towards a wine cellar.

- She may not have written it, but the delivery of 'Quayle is the worst candidate in district 3, no experience, bad judgment'...is just so perfectly and succinctly damaging. The mocking of his ad; the reference to his 'blogging' indiscretion. Brilliant. In fact, the whole ad has the feel of something entirely ad-libbed by her; her personality and words seem perfectly in synch. And she has a great sense of timing and intonation in speech(something that I believe Sarah Palin could improve upon); as well as a very sincere-sounding righteous indignation(something that Obama could really improve upon).

- Now, if she has a little extra money, her next ad should be like McCain's; showing her soft and positive side. (Btw, a brilliant move by McCain at this point, seemingly taking the high road...a very sunny Reaganesque ad, imo).
Loved your analysis! You certainly saw more deeply into it than I did. I never got past the cleavage, I guess.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Now thats why I said, hes" not bad looking"-but definitely not a hottie lol.
And I could understand where you would think Paulina is better looking

I have to laugh remembering my 18 yr old son thinking Sarah Plain was hot...lol...I told him "shame on you, shes a republican"
So true about the 'worst president, like, ever!' feel of that. Good point.

I also think attempt at connecting Mexican drug cartels with so-called 'tax' cartels of Washington is nonsensical sounding; the use of the word 'cartel' with taxes just doesn't make logical sense (ie. Cartel = A group of companies or countries which collectively attempt to affect market prices by controlling production and marketing.).

As for his looks, I have to agree with Ponderosa that he looks kind of geeky and preppy. Nothing wrong with that, but I believe it undermines his attempt to connect with working-class/Tea Party wave of anger that he's trying to tap.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Loved your analysis! You certainly saw more deeply into it than I did. I never got past the cleavage, I guess.
Hilarious! Now we know the true working of the male voting demographic! Ha. (just kidding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area