Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,085,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Would all of you that wish to leave please do so. Thank you.
I'm sure they all wish to leave faster than you want them to Charles! That's why they are one this thread, talking about why they left, or are leaving.
See how that works? Easy peasy lemon squeazy!
As you wish...............

Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I doubt he had actual OFFERS. He was probably being recruited for an INTERVIEW. My daughter gets those all the time, as in at least 3 times a week. Those are generated from headhunters site, mostly insurance companies and companies related to her field. She's also always getting spa m about going back to MBA school. Not gonna happen. That's what happens when you post your resume on various sites while looking for a job, or respond to certain job ads. One by one she's taking care of that as they come in, now that she has a job.
On second thought... I better explain before you make more silly assumptions:

1) The Temp Job: I applied for a job once, and six months later they got back to me (gotta love how fast people in Phoenix move.) I applied before having my heart set on leaving Phoenix, but was more interested in moving by the time they got back to me. I was cautious about taking it, but the guy referred me to a recruiter to screen. I didn't get it simply because I was straightforward and said I needed ONE day off for my brother's wedding. They said "no" for that reason (gotta love the compassion, empathy and community-feel for which Phoenix people are so well-known!) In any case, unbeknown to me... that recruiter was interviewing for simultaneous positions, told me she spoke with the another company and had a job offer. I turned it down.

2) Networking: My partner's co-worker's fiancee lives in Orange County and he was able to get me an interview. I thought the position was in the LA area, so I interviewed got a job offer and was told I could show up to fill out the new-hire forms. However... he wasn't filling a position in LA, he's a regional manager and was trying to fill a position in Phoenix. I turned it down.

3) The Cold Call: Yes, I got a call from a recruiter. After having two recruiters from LA call first for sales positions, I got a third call from someone with a job more in my field. After doing the phone interviews and getting a "when can you start?" They dropped the bomb that the position was in Phoenix, but location never came up until then. I believe what happened is a company I applied for in another state only accepted applications via Jobing, which is Phoenix-based, and a local recruiter got my resume from there and just assumed I knew the position was in Phoenix. I turned it down.

There ya go! You know what happens when you assume...

Old 11-11-2010, 12:30 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,085,074 times
I must say this thread has lasted a long time thanks to all who cannot stand for the people who left or are leaving Phoenix to voice their opinions. It now appears that this is one popular thread. Too bad none of these people could have spent their time posting positive stuff about Phoenix and why they are coming or are here in Phoenix on the "why did you come to Phoenix" thread. In part, you have defeated your very arguments by arguing. Wouldn't it have been nice to have others to share your positive views about our city with?
There are two threads for this purpose, it's a shame they both were not put to good use for the right topics. In reality it looks like a reflection of how it is here. Lack of freedom to express your opinion without setting someone off, to the point of conflict. One reason I was against the new gun law.
This city can stand on it's own feet, it has for years, why don't you just let it and post the positives on the other thread so this thread isn't a mega mind field of arguments about each others opinions. It's not beneficial and it just makes this thread look really popular, which I believe will only under mind your points. You won't put out this fire, you will just have to let it burn............................! The minority are not as happy with Phoenix, it's ok, we don't have to be for you to be happy here, why don't you try giving it a rest and go be positive on the other thread!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 PM

523 posts, read 937,928 times
phxgreenfire:

Hang in there. Phoenix is known around the country as one of the most difficult places to get a decent paying, non-call center job. While things are not looking like they will improve anytime soon, I hope something can work out for you. Further consolidation and moving in with family or friends might help.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
phxgreenfire:

Hang in there. Phoenix is known around the country as one of the most difficult places to get a decent paying, non-call center job. While things are not looking like they will improve anytime soon, I hope something can work out for you. Further consolidation and moving in with family or friends might help.
Thank you... I know it's been hard, but I'm finding more relevant, higher-paying jobs in other cities. I'm technically unemployed, but pick up freelance opportunities to bring in cash. I'd rather work in an office though, because the pay is more reliable and freelance work can require taking on a lot of projects to make a good living.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:09 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,818 times
Quote:
I'm not about to go dig for specific examples, but I've seen people upset about their financial situations and you loooove flaunting how much money you make to them. I've seen you do it a few times, and I'm not sure how many other potential times in threads I haven't read.
No, I use myself as an example. There are others on here, too, that could be examples--example of folks who have good paying, non-call center jobs. I use that to counter the rediculous notion that the only jobs here are call-center, retail, or other slightly-above-minimum-wage jobs. People throw that around as if it's fact. And it is a fact that those jobs exist. But it is not a fact whatsoever that those are the only jobs or even anywhere near the majority of jobs here.
There are many, many, many, many, many good paying, professional jobs in Phoenix. I'm sorry if you are not qualified for one of them. But that does not mean they don't exist.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
No, I use myself as an example. There are others on here, too, that could be examples--example of folks who have good paying, non-call center jobs. I use that to counter the rediculous notion that the only jobs here are call-center, retail, or other slightly-above-minimum-wage jobs. People throw that around as if it's fact. And it is a fact that those jobs exist. But it is not a fact whatsoever that those are the only jobs or even anywhere near the majority of jobs here.
There are many, many, many, many, many good paying, professional jobs in Phoenix. I'm sorry if you are not qualified for one of them. But that does not mean they don't exist.
I'm not saying that those jobs are the only jobs here, but they do make up an unusually large part of Phoenix' available jobs. But have you ever wondered "why" so many people make that claim? Wouldn't that suggest something to you?

I'll admit I don't qualify for IT, engineering, medical and many other jobs, because I didn't go to school to learn those trades. And again, there are jobs in my field here that pay MUCH less than other cities. The highest I've seen is $14/hour here, up to $70K in some East Coast cities. Cost of living be damned, comparatively the pay is still better there. I did assert Phoenix doesn't have a diverse enough economy. I'll be the first to admit I have a niche field, which is unusually clustered in large numbers in certain cities, namely in the Northeast, Chicago and to a lesser degree the Bay Area and LA. There are opportunities nationwide, but Phoenix is one of the worst cities to look in as even many smaller cities have more opportunities for me than here.

Maybe you can point out some of these "many, many, many high-paying jobs" to me, because clearly they're hard to see. When I do freelance jobs, because I can work online from home, people here seem to want to nickel-and-dime me more than most other cities. Does that mean people here are just cheap?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:46 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,818 times
Quote:
There are opportunities nationwide, but Phoenix is one of the worst cities to look in as even many smaller cities have more opportunities for me than here.

I don't buy the premise. It's anectdotal. Phoenix had the third largest job growth anywhere in the U.S.A., and our enemployment rate is below national average and falling. I'm sorry things did not work out for you here. However, for many, things do work out here.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I don't buy the premise. It's anectdotal. Phoenix had the third largest job growth anywhere in the U.S.A., and our enemployment rate is below national average and falling. I'm sorry things did not work out for you here. However, for many, things do work out here.
Again with that propaganda... I give up asking you what kind of jobs those are. Wal-Mart and McDonald's may have expanded vastly in Arizona for all I know. Your claim that there are many well-paying jobs is just as anecdotal as well. Jobs aren't the only reason I plan on leaving... Phoenix just isn't a good fit for me. If I lived somewhere I really loved, I'd try harder to make it work and be less rigid about what kind of job I'd take. Again, the "for many" claim is also anecdotal... the housing price issue would suggest otherwise.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:39 PM

88 posts, read 181,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Again with that propaganda... I give up asking you what kind of jobs those are. Wal-Mart and McDonald's may have expanded vastly in Arizona for all I know. Your claim that there are many well-paying jobs is just as anecdotal as well. Jobs aren't the only reason I plan on leaving... Phoenix just isn't a good fit for me. If I lived somewhere I really loved, I'd try harder to make it work and be less rigid about what kind of job I'd take. Again, the "for many" claim is also anecdotal... the housing price issue would suggest otherwise.
__________________________________________________ ________
You get the same pat FOX News talking points from the same two people all the time. My guess is they are probably one and he same.
The last time I checked WallysMart was the number one employer in the state followed by Banner Healthcare, both public service utilities/APS-SRP,Maricopa County employees, and a mish mash from there. Mostly low wage paying employers. Maybe because AZ is so bad in high school graduation rates, or maybe because there really is NO push to educate the kids --only a push to cut education funding. This state is destined to be a low wage paying, rather uneducated state, catering to the needs of it's aging population. Not a great reason for any NEW business to locate here and actually help the economy. Forget the INTEL expansion. It was less expensive for them to add jobs to existing facilities than to relocate. Given AZ's dismal education record and the recent elections, I would honestly tell any families thinking of relocating here to think again. Unless of course you are from Mississippi or Arkansas who ARIZONA does dominate in graduation rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area