Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 07:36 PM

11,086 posts, read 6,933,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
There ya go! You know what happens when you assume...
Apparently you have a bug in yours since you got so offended by my posting my experience, not my assumption

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Apparently you have a bug in yours since you got so offended by my posting my experience, not my assumption
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
On second thought... I better explain before you make more silly assumptions:

There ya go! You know what happens when you assume...
The person who used the "assume" cliche was phxgreenfire.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:06 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
The person who used the "assume" cliche was phxgreenfire.
Correct, my sour little friend. But I wouldn't have to use it if he didn't do it.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,922 times
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......grabs chips, kicks back.............................................. .....LOL How long you guys going to be at this?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,168,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Correct, my sour little friend. But I wouldn't have to use it if he didn't do it.
Awww, there you go getting all Sweet Tart on us!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,523,288 times
Quote:
Again with that propaganda... I give up asking you what kind of jobs those are. Wal-Mart and McDonald's may have expanded vastly in Arizona for all I know. Your claim that there are many well-paying jobs is just as anecdotal as well.
Your claim (or insinuation) is that they are all not good paying jobs, because, well, this is Phoenix, and the only jobs here are call-center. The fact is the jobs are across the board, from entry-level to upper management. The larger point is that the Phoenix job market is bucking the national trend and unemeployment here is now below the national average. And it's certainly not all call center jobs.

Quote:
You get the same pat FOX News talking points from the same two people all the time. My guess is they are probably one and he same.
I shouldn't even answer this, because it's stupid and a logical fallacy. Just because you don't agree with something I say, does not mean you should discredit me. Discredit my arguement. Use logic and reason. Defaming my character does not go far, and is questionably against the C-D TOS. But if you must know, I have only one username and one identity. Does it really amaze you that more than one person could disagree with your posts?

What is amazing to me is that there are several folks who want to say whatever it is they wish without getting a counter response. They want to bash, bash, bash, hate, hate, hate, and only get replies that agree with them. As soon as someone says, "well, now, wait a minute" that person's character (not their arguement, but there character) gets attacked.
On this forum you will get counters to whatever you post. It's going to happen and is part of the dynamic of message boards. If one can't handle that they probably should reconsider posting on message boards.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,708,375 times
Agreed as long as there is truth. The phx job market is great for the experienced, not for entry level. Anyone can see that in the job postings.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The phx job market is great for the experienced, not for entry level. Anyone can see that in the job postings.
That's with anywhere, though. Nobody starts at the top, and not too many start in the middle. For entry level, perhaps that's where the $14-per-hour call-center jobs come in handy (which I've done, btw). Gain some experience, go to one of the many good community colleges in tha area, maybe work your way to a low-level management position, and then look for the higher paying jobs.
As a prospective employee, you've got to position yourself where you are well qualified (as in, more qualified than the other applicants) to get the job you want. Often times, it takes a lot of time, hard work, and gaining experience in "lesser" jobs to get there. It's all a part of the journey.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Awww, there you go getting all Sweet Tart on us!
Well, as long as I have my grouchy little ice queen to go off topic and pick fights I can bring out that persona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Your claim (or insinuation) is that they are all not good paying jobs, because, well, this is Phoenix, and the only jobs here are call-center. The fact is the jobs are across the board, from entry-level to upper management. The larger point is that the Phoenix job market is bucking the national trend and unemeployment here is now below the national average. And it's certainly not all call center jobs.
You asked if I could believe you had limited education... now I'll say yes. Apparently your reading comprehension isn't up to par, as I did say not all jobs here are these you mentioned, but they do make up a large part of the town's workforce. Come to think of it, I remember reading awhile ago about Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's expanding in Arizona. If I get around to it, I'll try to look into this dropping unemployment. People getting jobs could lower it... as could people who stop looking for work (which technically lowers the unemployment rate) and also, a lot of people who just might be leaving Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Agreed as long as there is truth. The phx job market is great for the experienced, not for entry level. Anyone can see that in the job postings.
That was funny! Thanks for the laugh.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You asked if I could believe you had limited education... now I'll say yes.
Again, going after the character instead of the arguement. It seems that the Phoenix bashers and haters are good at using that logical fallacy. Why not stick with the arguement instead of personal attacks? Does a positive attitude really bother you that much?

Quote:
as I did say not all jobs here are these you mentioned, but they do make up a large part of the town's workforce.
Well, there are going to be more entry level jobs than journeyman jobs in any city, and more journeyman jobs than management jobs, and more management jobs than executive jobs--anywhere in any city. But there is not some disproportioned amount in Phoenix, unless you have some proof otherwise.

Quote:
If I get around to it, I'll try to look into this dropping unemployment. People getting jobs could lower it... as could people who stop looking for work (which technically lowers the unemployment rate) and also, a lot of people who just might be leaving Arizona.
Or, most likely (ever hear of Occam's Razor?), it's the fact that Phoenix had the third largest job growth anywhere in the U.S. from September 2009 through September 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area