Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,427,709 times

Advertisements

I have never in my 55 years heard of anyone wanting to move to Arizona.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:45 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,478 times
I just don't get it. If someone doesn't like an area fine, but why do they feel they have to convince EVERYONE that it's awful if they like it. What does the OP get about bitching about it? Don't like it, then LEAVE. Does the OP get paid or something for every person he convinces otherwise? Does he go to other forums of places he doesn't like? He sure wastes a lot of time and energy trying to convince people he doesn't know that he is right. I don't know why OP feels he must do this. Perhaps lack of hobbies or a life, I don't know. Just seems like a waste... a lot of negativity, for what? What does OP get about trying to convince people who like something, that they should not, just because HE decided he doesn't like it. Who does he think died and made him the opinion God? I guess we all better drop what we are doing and leave AZ immediately, cause HE said so?

Seriously OP, if people like it here, why do you have such a problem with it? Why do you feel the need to argue and convince complete strangers that YOUR opinion is right and that millions of people are wrong for wanting to be here. Why don't you mind your own business and focus on yourself and your family and getting a JOB instead of whining that GASP - someone in the world doesn't share your taste for something 100%.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
So, yes, let me happily rebut every single claim about the wonderous nature of this landscape and its people by directing you back to the original post. Mountains that look like globs of dried mud? Check. No trees? Check. No weather setting other than 'too hot' or 'too dry?' Check. Hundreds of thousands of lost old people? Double check. Millions of transplants who wouldn't recognize culture, loyalty to sports franchises, passion or hard work if it walked up to them and punched them in the face? That's a big ol' triple check.

You believe this valley to be perfect because it is as devoid of character as you are.
I've lived many places in the U.S., from Washington, DC, to Washington State. Arizona is certainly not my favorite. But while there is much to criticize, you chose some odd targets. Why did you come here expecting THE DESERT to look any different than what THE DESERT looks like? The vegetation or lack thereof hasn't changed in millions of years, so the information is widely available.

If you find Chandler so distasteful, why did you choose a suburb that's excruciatingly similar to the suburbs of Boston, Philadelphia, New York, or other places you probably think of as having a "soul"? Go into the city once in awhile. Have a real ethnic meal in a place owned by immigrants. Drink with some gay people. Ride the public transportation. Check out the world's most extant collection of mid-century modern architecture. Shake hands with the Democratic mayor of Phoenix and ask him where you could do some volunteer work so you'll be a contributing member of the community, since you're forced to be here.

As for the millions of people devoid of character... If they are transplants, then they came here on purpose from somewhere else. (And not always because they are too lazy to cut grass.) Maybe even somewhere you might deem NOT devoid of character. Perhaps some of them spent decades being passionate and working hard enough to move to a location where they can spend time living in relative quiet and sunshine, a choice many make even though you seem to consider retirement to be a negative aspect of humanity. And maybe they would tell you they're not "lost" if you talked to them. Most of them didn't leave their brains at home when they relocated.

As for the "loyalty to sports franchises" (odd thing to complain about), the transplants appear to be quite loyal to the franchises of their youths or this place wouldn't be so over-flowing with signs of Steelers, Packers, and Bears. Do you expect people who "transplant" their bodies to transplant their affections, too? Doesn't make sense. Especially not in a world where I can see my home teams any time I desire, thanks to technology. Besides that, I don't see the Diamondbacks or Cardinals going bankrupt any time in the near future so they must have some fans.

I'm sorry you've had to spend so much of your life resting your eyeballs on things you think of as hideous. Not to mention being hot and uncomfortable when you would prefer to be in the mountains. I trust you have good sunglasses; we wouldn't want you to take a cataract home as a souvenir.

We hope you are able to leave soon. I hope I am able to leave soon. But when I leave I will take a few good feelings with me. Sometimes even negative experiences expand our knowledge base or help us to understand what we really do cherish.

And one more thing. You spelled "wondrous" wrong, College Man Who Deserves a Career and Not a Job.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,236,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I have never in my 55 years heard of anyone wanting to move to Arizona.
You should come out and visit ..... you'll meet all sorts of people who wanted to move here

With the growth of the population in the state it's obvious that many people have and are continuing to move here ......

Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
You should come out and visit ..... you'll meet all sorts of people who wanted to move here

With the growth of the population in the state it's obvious that many people have and are continuing to move here ......
No kidding, I guess all the millions of people are here by accident and can't find their way out.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,878,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
How are you getting to San Diego in three hours from Phoenix? Takes me twice that when I go. You must know a shortcut to get there so please tell.
no shortcut, just pure speed, both motive and pharmaceutical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
What would you like me to rebut, precisely? The repeated claims that I do not currently have employment and am living off my parents and wife? At no time since grad school have I done either. I do currently have work (although it is certainly in no way, shape or form a career), but it definitely isn't on par with the position I had in Maine (yeah, I had a job there, too. We were living with my parents trying to save money, not because we didn't have jobs. But I guess cash lost all meaning to valley denizens once your endless expansion caused one of the largest housing collapses in the country. You reap what you sew, I suppose).

In your desperate hand-wringing to try and cleanse this wasteland of the 'blight' that my words appear to be, you were all too eager to grasp at false truths because it made your sloppy pigeon-holing of me easier. And, let's face it: if there's one thing that the people in the valley 'do well,' it's easy. Little rain bother you? Let's move to a place where there is none. Too much grass to mow on that fourth of an acre? Time to drag the kids and the dog to some place where people use rocks as a lawn. You needed a city where every single road was on a grid; each and every corner had a Starbucks, because you and your ilk cannot handle the real world.

So, yes, let me happily rebut every single claim about the wonderous nature of this landscape and its people by directing you back to the original post. Mountains that look like globs of dried mud? Check. No trees? Check. No weather setting other than 'too hot' or 'too dry?' Check. Hundreds of thousands of lost old people? Double check. Millions of transplants who wouldn't recognize culture, loyalty to sports franchises, passion or hard work if it walked up to them and punched them in the face? That's a big ol' triple check.
it never ceases to amaze that so called adult college graduates have to resort to character assassination to try and make the point that they dont like where they live or their life.

i was born in phoenix, raised in tucson, and i too have traveled the country, working in the national parks for 14 years. when the season was over though i always came back to tucson because i enjoy it here.

if you dont like it here, then move back to maine, or other parts in the northeast section of this country. phoenix and tucson both are rich in culture, but you have to go looking for it as it is rarely advertised. the reason? the culture is so diverse in these cities, that to push one or two would neglect all the others.

as for our mountains, if you are looking at them from a distance, then yes they do look like giant mounds of mud. but when you get up close and personal with them you find a rich environment and diverse, probably like you have never seen before.

instead of trying to bad mouth everything in arizona, try getting out and actually see the area without prejudice. check out the local calender of events available at the local government information offices. check out the local tourism board. and dont forget that you are close to the grand canyon, flagstaff, las vegas, los angeles, among other places.

who knows, you may even change your mind about phoenix and want to stay there.

as for the people not supporting the local sports teams, have you been to a cardinals game? how about a diamondbacks game? sun devils? suns? coyotes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
3 hours if yur doing 140mph!!!! I made it from Mesa to laguna beach in 5 hours and fifteen minutes doing 80-85 the whole way with no traffic. It was a great drive! 3 hours to san Diego is an exaggeration
you hooked up a fuel trailer and peed in a coffee can didnt you?

Last edited by observer53; 03-26-2012 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: removed previously deleted portions of quoted post

Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM

272 posts, read 609,574 times
Well, the OP can do what I did when I got fed up with the desert.
He can move to Chicago.

We've got it all up here:
Nice, 4-season climate (translation: Snow up to your arse in the winter, rain up to your arse in the spring, grass and mosquitoes up to your arse in the summer, and dead leaves up to your arse in the fall).

A nice, big city with almost everything you could want in a central location (translation: $35/day to park in a lot, and something north of obscene on the street at a meter; everyone trying to drive to the same central location - at the same time; just try to get seasons tickets to ANYTHING (opera, symphony, theater, Bears, Bulls, Cubs, etc) without taking out a second mortgage; coughing up a $50 to the maitre-d at the restaurant of your choice, just to get a table ($100 if you want a table away from the kitchen or restrooms); taxes on your taxes).

Mountains that don't look like piles of dirt (translation: What mountains?)

No old people/retirees (translation: Yeah - right. I've got two retirement homes within a quarter-mile of my house in the 'burbs; just try walking into a supermarket any time between 10am and 2pm).

Yup - move here. My house is for sale - nice suburb, close to the train station and shopping. Priced below local market value. Please buy it - so I can get my butt back to the Valley...

Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,657 times
I agree completely. Lived there for a year and couldn't stand anything about it. Summer is the absolute worst. You'll hate it exponentially more.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,277,690 times
Your post made me LMFAO....you have got a future in creative writing!

Those who have reacted negatively clearly demonstrate the need for an soh transplant...and I for one thank you because I would love to move to the states and Arizona was on my "consider" list until now! It must be a truly horrid place to evoke fears of ghosts flying out of your orifices. *shudder*.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Your post made me LMFAO....you have got a future in creative writing!

Those who have reacted negatively clearly demonstrate the need for an soh transplant...and I for one thank you because I would love to move to the states and Arizona was on my "consider" list until now! It must be a truly horrid place to evoke fears of ghosts flying out of your orifices. *shudder*.
Good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area