Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM

81 posts, read 172,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I agree completely. Lived there for a year and couldn't stand anything about it. Summer is the absolute worst. You'll hate it exponentially more.
You also agree with bashing retirees/seniors in general too??? I found that quite unfair. I guess he expects to die young and not have to worry about being in a senior's position trying to ensure their retirement savings stretch a bit further.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,290,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I have never in my 55 years heard of anyone wanting to move to Arizona.
Then who are all those people jamming up the line at Costco?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:57 PM

55 posts, read 110,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Those who have reacted negatively clearly demonstrate the need for an soh transplant...and I for one thank you because I would love to move to the states and Arizona was on my "consider" list until now! It must be a truly horrid place to evoke fears of ghosts flying out of your orifices. *shudder*.
Sense of humor as a response would imply an attempt at humor was made. If that was the intent, I hope the OP went to a graduate program that has a lenient refund policy.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:59 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,289,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bantam88 View Post
You also agree with bashing retirees/seniors in general too??? I found that quite unfair. I guess he expects to die young and not have to worry about being in a senior's position trying to ensure their retirement savings stretch a bit further.
Perhaps he's only mentioning how many seniors there are because he's concerned about the rich source of future ghosts?

Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Your post made me LMFAO....you have got a future in creative writing!

Those who have reacted negatively clearly demonstrate the need for an soh transplant...and I for one thank you because I would love to move to the states and Arizona was on my "consider" list until now! It must be a truly horrid place to evoke fears of ghosts flying out of your orifices. *shudder*.
now now, ghosts dont come flying out of your orifices here, they just float around and let you know that they were here first.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,661,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Well, the OP can do what I did when I got fed up with the desert.
He can move to Chicago.

We've got it all up here:
Nice, 4-season climate (translation: Snow up to your arse in the winter, rain up to your arse in the spring, grass and mosquitoes up to your arse in the summer, and dead leaves up to your arse in the fall).

A nice, big city with almost everything you could want in a central location (translation: $35/day to park in a lot, and something north of obscene on the street at a meter; everyone trying to drive to the same central location - at the same time; just try to get seasons tickets to ANYTHING (opera, symphony, theater, Bears, Bulls, Cubs, etc) without taking out a second mortgage; coughing up a $50 to the maitre-d at the restaurant of your choice, just to get a table ($100 if you want a table away from the kitchen or restrooms); taxes on your taxes).

Mountains that don't look like piles of dirt (translation: What mountains?)

No old people/retirees (translation: Yeah - right. I've got two retirement homes within a quarter-mile of my house in the 'burbs; just try walking into a supermarket any time between 10am and 2pm).

Yup - move here. My house is for sale - nice suburb, close to the train station and shopping. Priced below local market value. Please buy it - so I can get my butt back to the Valley...
I hate to point out the obvious but he doesn't have a job. He can't afford the down payment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantam88 View Post
I don't get people that bash retirees. I'm only 52 but I've always found older people to be funny and they usually have great life experiences to pass on. Not to mention the economic impact from those folks.
These people have worked hard all their lives to build a better life for themselves and others. It's their generation that won a couple of very important wars, that brought us space travel, modern medicine, modern science, TV, computers and so much more. They are one of the reasons we have the best country in the world and deserve better than some 30 something know-it-all telling everyone within yelling distance that old people are somehow a bad thing.
I'd be ashamed of what was written if I were him.
I can only hope that his generation doesn't all feel the same way. Pulls their eyes of their IPod, cell phone and computers to get to know some of these people. They are fascinating in many ways. Otherwise, this country is headed for some big trouble in the future.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:10 PM

267 posts, read 695,013 times
Shrike, you lost me when you spoke of no wind. The desert may be still some of the time, but I'm amazed not to hear you give a literary denunciation of the hellish horror of a haboob. And you missed a huge number of potential anti-Valley points in neglecting to criticize the illegal alien gila monster gangs, poodle-eating coyotes, killer scorpions, sidewinders, limited mass transit systems, etc. Instead, all you gave was some very vague dislikes about the landscape and about old people who were successful enough in life to choose where to retire... and you're perhaps afraid you might not be. Perhaps you were so soft in your criticisms because you're secretly ashamed of yourself for beginning to like the place. Look up to the bright side; this might even be as good as it ever gets.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 PM

19,465 posts, read 27,995,188 times
I don't think I've ever repped so many posts in a single thread before! Thanks everybody, for the great jokes AND for sticking up for Arizona.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,289,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Shrike, you lost me when you spoke of no wind. The desert may be still some of the time, but I'm amazed not to hear you give a literary denunciation of the hellish horror of a haboob. And you missed a huge number of potential anti-Valley points in neglecting to criticize the illegal alien gila monster gangs, poodle-eating coyotes, killer scorpions, sidewinders, limited mass transit systems, etc. Instead, all you gave was some very vague dislikes about the landscape and about old people who were successful enough in life to choose where to retire... and you're perhaps afraid you might not be. Perhaps you were so soft in your criticisms because you're secretly ashamed of yourself for beginning to like the place. Look up to the bright side; this might even be as good as it ever gets.
A coyote ate my baby!

Old 03-26-2012, 06:33 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,867,060 times
The OP's sarcasm and writing style would probably fit in well with cracked.com I don't know if they're hiring, but it's worth a look. The OP certainly has some writing skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area