Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Phoenix is a safe place to invest in Real estate?
YES 32 48.48%
NO 17 25.76%
WITHOUT A DOUBT 11 16.67%
UNSURE 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM

9,806 posts, read 11,200,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Why? Because it's harder to get a cheap house now? I'm not seeing that prices have gone up much in the zip code I watch. I still think houses here are dirt cheap. I wonder how much of the rising median price is due to the shortage of lower priced homes rather than increasing prices across the board.
You forgot the last three words that I post. In Phoenix, I think the ideal time to buy a SFH's has passed for an INVESTMENT.

Here is why. SFH's generally don't do well for cash flow in comparison to multi-dwellings. If your model is to rent it out to break even and exclusively pick-up appreciation, that's still is possible but I would not go there. But For those who studied cash flow exclusively (renting it out longer term) the time probably has passed.

I paid $51 a sq foot. A couple of the same floor plans went for $65 and $70 respectively. It certainly can go up another $7 a square foot but you HAVE to rent it out because the fixed costs (taxes, HOA, etc) will eat into those profits. By paying 25% more money for the same house will cut into your cash flow. Hence, I think the ideal time has passed.

I think that SFH ship has sailed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,951,243 times
Quote:
I think that SFH ship has sailed.
We are in uncharted territory for real estate no one knows what will happen and if inflation kicks in what seems to be overpriced today could be a screaming deal in hindsight.
I think we have 6 years of pent up demand from people that want to live here, how that plays out is anybodies guess.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,356,135 times

As long as never lived in $200,000 Homes are going for $60,000 it should be a good investment. My Ex just signed a two year contract to rent her $60,000 Florence home for $1,600 a month. Right now higher end rentals are going for premium rental prices as newcomers are renting rather than buy, which is a smart move I might add. You might find a feed lot right down the road you didn't smell when the agent showed the house and he may have forgot to mention it.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
In any case, if people are moving to here to escape Tsunamis, you'll have to accept that a certain percentage of people *leave* Phoenix because they're afraid of Black Widows, Scorpions, or Coyotes, Rattlesnakes, termites, HOA's, etc...
Those are not life threatening and did not cause loss of homes. How many people have been killed or lost their home by flooding,monsoons, Black Widows, Scorpions, or Coyotes, Rattlesnakes, termites, in Phoenix?
Now how many people were killed or lost their homes in areas where there are hurricanes,tornadoes,twisters,floods,earthquakes?

You will have to argue with Risk and Insurance,they did the research and collected the data.
Until your life has been put in jeopardy by a natural disaster I do not think It makes sense to converse about this topic.
Quote:
For the third straight year, Risk & Insurance® presents the list of the 10 safest cities in the United States. The 2006 list remains intact--with a few notable exceptions. Sacramento, the No. 1 safest city for two years running, no longer holds that coveted position. In fact, the city's fallen off the list entirely.

The new top dog--pour the champagne, please--is Rochester, N.Y., which leapfrogged Phoenix for the No. 1 spot. Phoenix, though, remains at the No. 2 safest cities spot for the second year in a row.
About.com: http://www.riskandinsurance.com/story.jsp?storyId=13405757&query=safest%20cities

Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,356,135 times
It is still a reason a lot of city dwellers leave as they expected city life in the desert.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
It is still a reason a lot of city dwellers leave as they expected city life in the desert.
I have never seen any rattlesnakes, 2 scorpions, a couple black widows,no termites and I have been here for 6 years. I guess it depends on what where you live in AZ.
I saw a lot more bugs and pests in Florida and got bit by a recluse spider which was very unpleasant.
Come to think of it spiders,snakes,termites,HOA's exist pretty much everywhere,so why would people move away from Phoenix because of pests that are nationwide?
Phoenix has a well below average amount of rats,mosquitoes and other pests which is a big plus.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM

9,806 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
We are in uncharted territory for real estate no one knows what will happen and if inflation kicks in what seems to be overpriced today could be a screaming deal in hindsight.
I think we have 6 years of pent up demand from people that want to live here, how that plays out is anybodies guess.

You could be right. I was defining the "investment" as SFH's and renting them out over the years. If you assume a good deal of appreciation from May 2nd going forward I suppose that it's a wonderful investment. I was saying that the "ship has sailed" for buying a SFH and getting it to cash flow. If you got in at the "bottom" then you are picking up positive cash flow especially in the below $100K homes. I was excluding appreciation in that investment statement. As prices climb, the attractiveness of the traditional cash flow diminishes. As I mentioned when it comes to rentals, SFH's are not the classification of choice. They don't have economy of scale.

So most people who have been buying them as an "investment" have been flipping them, rehabbing them, or renting them until they appreciate.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:58 PM

There are some good deals left on Homepath/REO properties where for the 1st 15 days investors cannot put an offer in giving the 1st time home buyer a huge advantage because they only need 3% down and they have a 15 day head start.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:55 PM

464 posts, read 833,316 times
Default Is Phoenix a good investment?

Apparently hedge fund corporations think so and are currently buying SFH by the bundles....of 1,000. They are simply planning on renting them out for the next 10 years until the expected turn around in our housing market.

My husband and a realtor were discussing it due to the fact that it will significantly change multi-unit investment rentals when the people that have lost their homes are now able to rent SFH for a few years and get their finances in order in the meantime. Many of these former homeowners, now renters, will choose SFH over multi-unit housing rentals.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,499 times
I keep wondering why a renter would choose a SFH over a multi-unit rental. I've rented both. I had nothing but bad maintenance from renting SFHs - of course because the landlord was out of town when something crucial broke.

I think those who want to go into the landlord business should spend at least five years renting SFHs themselves, and five years renting milti-unit rentals.

If you do not know what it's like, you have no basis on saying people prefer renting SFHs over multi-units.

I'm just cautioning you. As I write this I'm enjoying a pleasant sunset through the blinds of my multi-unit rental and hear nothing but the A/C. The green park and trees are my back yard and no one lives above me. Should my A/C quit, maintenance will fix it well within 24 hours, probably within eight hours when it's deep summer. Cannot say that for my past experience in SFH. I suffered through 95 degree plus indoor temperatures over a weekend and several different weekends in the hot months that happened. swamp cooler was on the roof and I had the upstairs unit. No ladder so I could not fix it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitagreatday View Post
Apparently hedge fund corporations think so and are currently buying SFH by the bundles....of 1,000. They are simply planning on renting them out for the next 10 years until the expected turn around in our housing market.

My husband and a realtor were discussing it due to the fact that it will significantly change multi-unit investment rentals when the people that have lost their homes are now able to rent SFH for a few years and get their finances in order in the meantime. Many of these former homeowners, now renters, will choose SFH over multi-unit housing rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area