Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
The covers are more work than the dust storms. They're expensive, heavy, hard to move and store, wear out in the sun and they get dirty, too. Most people don't use them.
I think maybe one of those kind on a roller with a motor might work. I have used the floating kind and they are awful, because you can't get them off without dumping all the accumulated crap in the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,758 times
Yeah. Still the junk goes on the cover. When you roll it up it slides into the pool or rolls into the cover to eventually land in the pool. You have to clean the pool or the cover. Probably easier to just clean the pool and save your money.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
The covers are more work than the dust storms. They're expensive, heavy, hard to move and store, wear out in the sun and they get dirty, too. Most people don't use them.
Would you have a cover left after a storm like we had the other night? Seems I would have been looking for it in Los Angeles the way the wind was blowing. My neighbors are still looking for the canvas cover to their gazebo.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Would you have a cover left after a storm like we had the other night? Seems I would have been looking for it in Los Angeles the way the wind was blowing. My neighbors are still looking for the canvas cover to their gazebo.
I had my neighbor's poolside umbrella in my pool after the storm. I think I will keep it. I had to fish out some lawn furniture too. That would be hard on a cover.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I had my neighbor's poolside umbrella in my pool after the storm. I think I will keep it. I had to fish out some lawn furniture too. That would be hard on a cover.
I also had some of my own lawn furniture in my pool that I had to fish out along with lots of trash that was blown about.

The wind was blowing so hard here that we heard a loud noise coming down the street and looked out the front window to see a big 65 gallon city provided trash can airborne flying down the street, end over end. It would hit the ground every 10 feet or so and make a loud noise. After the storm subsided we walked down the street to see where it ended up and unfortunately it was embedded in the side of the house at the end of the street. It was so far into the house I'm sure they were looking at it inside the house. It came across a large piece of undeveloped land before it got to our house so it had a 1/4 mile run to gather speed.

I feel bad for the peoples who's house it hit but glad it missed my car, which was sitting in the driveway, by about 10 feet.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I also had some of my own lawn furniture in my pool that I had to fish out along with lots of trash that was blown about.

The wind was blowing so hard here that we heard a loud noise coming down the street and looked out the front window to see a big 65 gallon city provided trash can airborne flying down the street, end over end. It would hit the ground every 10 feet or so and make a loud noise. After the storm subsided we walked down the street to see where it ended up and unfortunately it was embedded in the side of the house at the end of the street. It was so far into the house I'm sure they were looking at it inside the house. It came across a large piece of undeveloped land before it got to our house so it had a 1/4 mile run to gather speed.

I feel bad for the peoples who's house it hit but glad it missed my car, which was sitting in the driveway, by about 10 feet.
The wind was amazing. I have never seen so much junk in the pool - leaves, flowers from the plants, even live twigs and small branches that were ripped off the trees. I filled up two 5 gallon buckets with all the junk I hauled out. My skimmer got a lot of it too. The trees were whipsawing around. I have a couple birds nesting in my trees and I was worried about them. They've put so much work into it. But they made it!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:03 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:

Wow. I can't imagine the force it would take to put one of those through the wall of a house. We got off easy on my side of town. Glad it missed your car... that would have been an interesting story for the insurance company.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:07 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
With our pool, we vacuumed it yesterday, shocked it overnight, and vacuumed again today. Water looks clear now.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I have a couple birds nesting in my trees and I was worried about them. They've put so much work into it. But they made it!
Ours were not so lucky. My kids have been watching a pair of doves in their nest in our Mexican Fan Palm for the last couple weeks and the two chicks had just hatched. I fished the nest and one of the dead chicks out of the pool and no idea where the other one ended up.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
After you are done with all that you might want to throw a shock in there to prevent a virus or algae. Then brush it, let the vacuum get it or if an old pool manually vacuum. Dust and leaves can bring in an algae, pour some anti algae liquid in there as well. It will be sparkling in no time.

I personally don't like to use all the chemicals other than liquid chlorine if I can get away with it. Adding other stuff adds other not so great things to the water like calcium, cyanuric acid, messes with the PH and alkalinity. Liquid chlorine doesn't do that.
Shocking isn't a product, it's a process. It's something you do, not something you buy. Shocking is a process that adds chlorine very quickly to kill algae, germs and bacteria.
I'm not saying all that other stuff doesn't have a place in pool care, just that it's not necessary most of the time not to mention the cost. Those things are hugely expensive.

How do you clean murky and green pool water
Simple. Chlorine and filtration. Pretty simple actually. Keep the chlorine level up until it kills all the stuff. You'll know when the color changes from green to a milky grey color. Keep the chlorine level up so no more grows and keep the filter running until the water is clear.

Here is a link for all kinds of information on how to keep your pool sparkling clean, cut your chemical costs by a huge amount and professional advice on just about every aspect of pool maintenance and ownership. It's common sense stuff. Great site.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Do pool covers help with that and do most people use them?
Quote:
I have a cover and while they are a little more work, the do a lot to keep the pool clearer. They keep most of the leaves and junk from entering the pool. Yes, that junk is on top of the cover but when I roll mine up, I leave about a foot or so in the water so I can sweep off all the junk before it gets into the pool. Then I roll up the last foot or so.

Quote:
I think maybe one of those kind on a roller with a motor might work. I have used the floating kind and they are awful, because you can't get them off without dumping all the accumulated crap in the pool.
I have a roller but the manual kind. I can turn a crank for 20 seconds and it doesn't cost thousands. Simple and effective.
Without the roller, they are a pain in the arse but with the roller, it's a breeze to roll up.

Quote:
Yeah. Still the junk goes on the cover. When you roll it up it slides into the pool or rolls into the cover to eventually land in the pool. You have to clean the pool or the cover. Probably easier to just clean the pool and save your money.
Not only does the cover save me time cleaning things up as I stated above, it's also a solar cover so it heats the pool as well. I made some home made solar heaters and the combination of the two has had my pool in the high 80's since early March.
I'm pretty happy about that. I'll fiddle with the cover if it helps extend the swim season that much.

Quote:
It got way windy here and I was worried about the cover becoming a parachute but it stuck on the water just fine.
My patio furniture????? Not so much. At least it stayed in my own yard though. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area