Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,678,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcatFan View Post
Thank you.

Looking at that map. If we were to live up north near hwy 51 (maybe just south of the 101), Is this a good part of town? How is the commute south on 51 into downtown compared to I17 south from Deer Valley?
I live in that area, and I prefer the 51 to the 17. At peak morning rush, the 51 slows down @ Northern avenue, but doesn't usually stop completely.

The 51 is a blast in the am if you can find a rider- the HOV lane will drill you in from the 101 to the airport in 20 minutes flat.

I've lived in Chandler as well & though I don't watch the listings on that side of town anymore, I'd suspect you could get more house for your money on the north side, without really giving anything up neighborhood-wise. Check out Desert Ridge & the area around Paradise Valley Community College.

The north side also has The Codfather,(16th st & bell rd) best fish & chips in the valley, and probably the state.

Otherwise, the entire valley is littered with strip-malls, chain-stores & Costco, so it's not like you'll have a problem shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:40 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,938,126 times
I would look at Arrowhead instead of Deer Valley if you are looking at that part of Phoenix. Between Chandler and Deer Valley I'd say Chandler but between Chandler and Arrowhead, I don't know, it's a tougher choice. I'm not all that familiar with Chandler but my impressions are that it's a newer area and looks nice, more of a desert feel. Arrowhead is a bit older, more mature landscaping but also a nice area.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM

17 posts, read 30,212 times
Thank you all for the valuable info. I'm having a hard time pairing up a good school/location. I did find a pocket of high rated schools in the kyrene school district. Many of the houses are in what is considered phoenix just south of awatukee and west of chandler. How is this commute to downtown. I can see what Google maps says. But wonder how it really is. Thank you.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
Quote:
Many of the houses are in what is considered phoenix just south of awatukee and west of chandler. How is this commute to downtown. I can see what Google maps says. But wonder how it really is. Thank you.
Ahwatukee is part of Phoenix. South of Ahwatukee is reservation land.

I spent a couple of years commuting in the opposite direction (central Phoenix to Chandler). The traffic going the other direction always looked horrible.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Ahwatukee is part of Phoenix. South of Ahwatukee is reservation land.

I spent a couple of years commuting in the opposite direction (central Phoenix to Chandler). The traffic going the other direction always looked horrible.
Well, south of Ahwatukee proper includes areas like the Foothills, Mountain Park Ranch, Lakeview. For some people, Ahwatukee is not everything south of Elliot, but more confined to the area in or adjacent to the original community, centered around the Warner-Elliot Loop and extending down to Ray Road.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Not a fan of your screen name but I would also recommend Chandler. Contrary to the above poster, Chandler does not have a desert feel. It's primarily neighborhoods with tall trees, grass and lakes. Chandler probably has more artificial lakes than any other valley suburb. The Deer Valley area has a more desert feel, but it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list for areas I would look if I wanted a scenic desert feel. I live in Chandler, so I'm biased. I also prefer the grass and water feel to the desert. The commute to central Phoenix from West Chandler is not bad at all, compared to many other suburban areas of town.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:57 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, south of Ahwatukee proper includes areas like the Foothills, Mountain Park Ranch, Lakeview. For some people, Ahwatukee is not everything south of Elliot, but more confined to the area in or adjacent to the original community, centered around the Warner-Elliot Loop and extending down to Ray Road.
I have typically heard the term Ahwatukee used to refer to the area that the City calls Ahwatukee Foothills Village, which is shown here. I wasn't aware of the distinctions that you suggest, but I'll take your word for them.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for the valuable info. I'm having a hard time pairing up a good school/location. I did find a pocket of high rated schools in the kyrene school district. Many of the houses are in what is considered phoenix just south of awatukee and west of chandler. How is this commute to downtown. I can see what Google maps says. But wonder how it really is. Thank you.

A big chunk of the Kyrene district is in South Tempe, which would be a slightly shorter commute than Chandler, and with a less congested feel than some of that area of Phoenix west of I-10. I commute from southeast Tempe to downtown, it varies a bit depending on when I leave, but 35-45 minutes to go 19 miles is fairly typical, unless I encounter an accident or some other factor that really slows the freeways down, or really favorable conditions speed things up.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 PM

74 posts, read 144,260 times
Chandler no doubt! Its a good all around town.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I have typically heard the term Ahwatukee used to refer to the area that the City calls Ahwatukee Foothills Village, which is shown here. I wasn't aware of the distinctions that you suggest, but I'll take your word for them.
The distinctions I suggest are hardly official, but like a lot of other areas of the Valley, people tend to have their own definitions of the boundaries of those areas, which may or may not coincide with official definitions like the Phoenix villages, where such villages exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area