Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:56 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,316,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I have typically heard the term Ahwatukee used to refer to the area that the City calls Ahwatukee Foothills Village, which is shown here. I wasn't aware of the distinctions that you suggest, but I'll take your word for them.

Yeah me too. And basically everyone that lives in that area calls it Ahwatukee, whether it's Mountain Park Ranch, Ahwatukee Foothills, Club West, etc. I used to live there. Good location but many of the homes need extensive updating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,771,654 times
I am really surprised to hear people here say that the commute from Chandler to downtown is not bad. I-10 has always resembled a parking lot to me when going in the opposite direction. Is this a time of day thing?

Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,316,608 times
Quote:
I am really surprised to hear people here say that the commute from Chandler to downtown is not bad. I-10 has always resembled a parking lot to me when going in the opposite direction. Is this a time of day thing?
relatively bad. I would say it compares favorably to commutes from other suburbs, such as Surprise, Goodyear, Gilbert, San Tan Valley, North Scottsdale, North Glendale, etc. I used to travel downtown from South Tempe (I got on the freeway at Warner Road, just North of the Chandler border) and it seemed to take about 30-35 minutes. This was a looong time ago though. I would stay in the right lane, which moves at about 60mph until the US 60 and then merge over. That was the rough part, between the 60 and the Broadway curve. After that it seems to move much better. Not great, but better compared to many of the suburbs.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,359,183 times
Chandler is large. It makes no sense to talk about it like a singular entity. It depends entirely upon where you live in Chandler. If you live in North Chandler, it's a fairly "normal" commute by Valley standards because it borders Tempe. For example, it takes me 25 minutes to drive to Good Samaritan and St. Joes hospital with morning traffic. However, if you live in Ocotillo, you can add 15-20 minutes to that drive and if you live in East Chandler near the Gilbert border, it can approach an hour with morning traffic. It also depends where you are going to in downtown as well.

Furthermore, the I-10 traffic heading north is only bad up to the 60. After you pass Broadway, it clears up considerably and is fairly free flowing unless there is a traffic accident. It's the worst on Monday and by Thursday and Friday morning, it's pretty fast. Most people don't know that. They see the mad traffic around Ray and I-10 and assume it's like that the entire way to downtown and assume the commute is longer than it is. That is not the case.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 PM

391 posts, read 843,278 times
Quote:
I can agree to that. Maybe degrees of severity. Morning rush hour is completely different the evening. There are so many people not paying attention, I don't know how many accidents I see on a daily basis. Based on some of my experiences this is what its like.

5 to 6 = no traffic
6 to 7 = light
7 to 8 = moderate
8 to 9 = heavy?

If you are commuting from Tucson > Phoenix it was more like

5 to 7 = light
6 to 8 = heavy
7 to 9 = forget it, don't even come into work

I've never drove during the 8 to 9 stretch in Phoenix so I couldn't comment on that. I like how Phoenix has a rush hour during the middle of the day because of lunch time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Furthermore, the I-10 traffic heading north is only bad up to the 60. After you pass Broadway, it clears up considerably and is fairly free flowing unless there is a traffic accident. It's the worst on Monday and by Thursday and Friday morning, it's pretty fast. Most people don't know that. They see the mad traffic around Ray and I-10 and assume it's like that the entire way to downtown and assume the commute is longer than it is. That is not the case.
The worst is the 60 > I-10 fork. I am really surprised there isn't more accidents around there after Mill.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,359,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, south of Ahwatukee proper includes areas like the Foothills, Mountain Park Ranch, Lakeview. For some people, Ahwatukee is not everything south of Elliot, but more confined to the area in or adjacent to the original community, centered around the Warner-Elliot Loop and extending down to Ray Road.
That's pretty much not true. Maybe there are some strange individuals who define it that way but it's pretty much understood that the Foothills is Ahwatukee and even the local Ahwatukee magazines include those areas and often the terms Foothills is interchanged with Ahwatukee but most often it's referred to as the Ahwatukee foothills. Most of the restaurants and stores in the area will often refer to their location as Ahwatukee. I've never heard of anyone not include that area as Ahwatukee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yeah me too. And basically everyone that lives in that area calls it Ahwatukee, whether it's Mountain Park Ranch, Ahwatukee Foothills, Club West, etc. I used to live there. Good location but many of the homes need extensive updating.
Exactly

Old 07-18-2012, 12:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,520,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Id choose Chandler over Deer Valley - but it's an ugly commute from either place!!
I would agree.

For suburban living Chandler is my top pick above all others, better schools, decent neighborhoods that are affordable, and good shopping.

Traffic can be a problem, especially on the 60 and I-10 during morning and evening crush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area