Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 09:15 AM

369 posts, read 269,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Only New York and L.A.? Not hardly. Seattle, Philadelphia, Boston, D.C. area, Bay Area, Austin, and Chicago (to a lesser extent) are a few others which are thriving business centers as well as major tourist destinations. Most of these places aren't flashy like Vegas, nor are home to Disney styled theme parks, but they have many other notable attractions which bring in people from around the nation & world.

I agree that attracting more business professionals & large companies is more important than building theme parks, but there's no reason why we can't have both. Phoenix's focus has been somewhat of a deterrent to big business & large scale tourist attractions. Promoting sunshine & outdoor recreation hasn't made Phoenix a 24/7 hot spot, and it certainly hasn't attracted the Elon Musk or Bill Gates types that we want. Musk is moving his Tesla HQs from CA to TX ... not AZ. Why do you suppose that is?

The title of this thread is "Florida Heat vs. Phoenix Heat", and the general consensus seems to be that Phoenix's summers are hotter, but generally more comfortable because of less humidity. The main similarity between Florida & Arizona is they both have seasonal tourism (snowbirds). The difference is that of the two places, Florida has a lot more year round tourism because of all their amusement attractions. Obviously, more people vacation in FL despite their sky high humidity, frequent storms, and hurricane threats.
Florida doesn't get 110-120 temperatures and they have sea breezes at the beach areas to take the edge off the humidity.

If people were asked if they'd like to vacation in Phoenix in July, most of them would reply with a resounding heck no! 90 degrees with humidity and clouds in Orlando is easier to handle than 115 in the burning sun.

You made good points why Arizona isn't home to people like Musk or Gates. I think some of the controversial political issues play a part too.

Arizona has a reputation for low education ratings. Added to that was Arpaio acting more like a king instead of sheriff for a long time and the cyber ninja audit casted a negative image. Big companies prefer states with good schools and not a lot of political controversy, regardless if red or blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 09:30 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
Florida doesn't get 110-120 temperatures and they have sea breezes at the beach areas to take the edge off the humidity.

If people were asked if they'd like to vacation in Phoenix in July, most of them would reply with a resounding heck no! 90 degrees with humidity and clouds in Orlando is easier to handle than 115 in the burning sun.
These are just typical excuses which are continuously used for why theme parks are non existent here. It's either the heat, or we're too close to southern CA. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to go to Florida in the summer, or Vegas for that matter, but many people do, and the weather doesn't seem to be an issue in those places when they're spending all that money.

Quote:
You made good points why Arizona isn't home to people like Musk or Gates. I think some of the controversial political issues play a part too.

Arizona has a reputation for low education ratings. Added to that was Arpaio acting more like a king instead of sheriff for a long time and the cyber ninja audit casted a negative image. Big companies prefer states with good schools and not a lot of political controversy, regardless if red or blue.
These are just more excuses. We've passed tax hike after tax hike to supposedly fund education. Arpaio was voted out nearly 5 years ago, so he's a non issue. The audit was pure b.s., but it did nothing to change the election results, so that's really a non issue as well. Texas is more conservative than Arizona is on many things, and they have an abortion law which is causing a lot of controversy ... yet, Texas doesn't have any problem with attracting new companies (or keeping the existing ones). The problem is our focus, and the kind of transplants we attract ... not politics, not the heat, and not our location.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:50 PM

Default Reputation matters.

Quote:
These are just typical excuses which are continuously used for why theme parks are non existent here. It's either the heat, or we're too close to southern CA. Quite frankly, I wouldn't want to go to Florida in the summer, or Vegas for that matter, but many people do, and the weather doesn't seem to be an issue in those places when they're spending all that money.

These are just more excuses. We've passed tax hike after tax hike to supposedly fund education. Arpaio was voted out nearly 5 years ago, so he's a non issue. The audit was pure b.s., but it did nothing to change the election results, so that's really a non issue as well. Texas is more conservative than Arizona is on many things, and they have an abortion law which is causing a lot of controversy ... yet, Texas doesn't have any problem with attracting new companies (or keeping the existing ones). The problem is our focus, and the kind of transplants we attract ... not politics, not the heat, and not our location.
I respectfully disagree.

I love Phoenix but the city has a reputation of being an oven in the summer and that turns many people away.

I'm politically in the center and try not to take sides but Arizona once had a long-standing reputation of being anti-tax, anti-education, anti-immigrant, and kind of backwards. I don't really agree with any of it but that past reputation lingers and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many people.

Old 10-13-2021, 02:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
Quote:
I'm politically in the center and try not to take sides but Arizona once had a long-standing reputation of being anti-tax, anti-education, anti-immigrant, and kind of backwards. I don't really agree with any of it but that past reputation lingers and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many people.

Obviously, that "bad taste" in their mouths isnt enough to stop them from stampeding to move out here..

Old 10-14-2021, 08:36 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:

The weather is a factor for sure. We can't counter the perception that 110 degrees is an impossible temp to live in no matter how much we try. But politics is even worse. Now we are Q-central for the country with the leading R candidates for governor and sup. of public instruction both meeting with and being endorsed by the the founder of the Q-anon conspiracy business. The guy with the horns is one of us too. Our reputation keeps getting worse and worse if attracting something other than warehouses is what we want.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:45 PM

Default Omg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The weather is a factor for sure. We can't counter the perception that 110 degrees is an impossible temp to live in no matter how much we try. But politics is even worse. Now we are Q-central for the country with the leading R candidates for governor and sup. of public instruction both meeting with and being endorsed by the the founder of the Q-anon conspiracy business. The guy with the horns is one of us too. Our reputation keeps getting worse and worse if attracting something other than warehouses is what we want.
I hope we're not becoming Q-central or anything else you posted.

Old 10-15-2021, 08:09 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
We're not. That's pure exaggeration. Admittedly, the ridiculous audit didn't help our reputation any, but the results revealed absolutely nothing which we didn't know already, so it's really a non issue. I think some people just like to make excuses and create scapegoats for why Phoenix can't act its size more than it does. It really comes down to laziness & lack of interest more than it does the summer heat, or any of the other things which were mentioned.

Old 10-16-2021, 06:55 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
The Q guy did, in fact, endorse those candidates and now he said he is running for Congress in Arizona's 1st Congressional District. It's not a shoo-in as this is one of the most competitive ones, but just having these Q-anon people think that Arizona welcomes them and leading R candidates accepting their endorsements is pretty sad. More bad publicity for the state.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:21 AM

342 posts, read 319,481 times
Quote:
We're not. That's pure exaggeration. Admittedly, the ridiculous audit didn't help our reputation any, but the results revealed absolutely nothing which we didn't know already, so it's really a non issue. I think some people just like to make excuses and create scapegoats for why Phoenix can't act its size more than it does. It really comes down to laziness & lack of interest more than it does the summer heat, or any of the other things which were mentioned.
Someone told me to avoid Cave Creek because it's Q central. Is that true?

Old 10-25-2021, 07:41 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
whats Q central?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area