Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
No, it’s genuinely not. I’ve experienced both and 8 degrees is miserably cold no matter what. Which is exactly my point. No one is hanging out outside when it’s 8 degrees, just like no one is hanging out outside when it’s 108. The people who do are likely to end up as a news story. This entire topic is a whole lot of nitpicking for no reason. Humid, dry, whatever - extreme heat is extreme heat.
Mr. Pessimist stikes again! Here are some people hanging out at 120 degrees in AZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiN2MzPyCQo

And here are some people hanging out in CO (it's colder at night). Those people look "miserable"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjR4_ZuXjA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2021, 09:18 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
No, it’s genuinely not. I’ve experienced both and 8 degrees is miserably cold no matter what. Which is exactly my point. No one is hanging out outside when it’s 8 degrees, just like no one is hanging out outside when it’s 108. The people who do are likely to end up as a news story. This entire topic is a whole lot of nitpicking for no reason. Humid, dry, whatever - extreme heat is extreme heat.
You don't live around here, apparently. 108 is nothing. People are out and about, lakes are packed if it's a weekend, people are golfing, swimming, shopping and standing line to eat at popular chain restaurants. It might be 108 at 3pm but most of the day is under 100 at that temp. 118? That's a different story.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:00 PM

89 posts, read 59,960 times
It comes down to dew point for me. It's like 50 here and 70s even in the midwest which is crazy muggy to me. 100% prefer the AZ heat over sweating like crazy.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:11 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Mr. Pessimist stikes again! Here are some people hanging out at 120 degrees in AZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiN2MzPyCQo

And here are some people hanging out in CO (it's colder at night). Those people look "miserable"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjR4_ZuXjA
Lol at posting a video of an expensive, idyllic holiday ski resort to prove that 8 degrees is a comfortable living temp. And I REALLY encourage you to spend some time outside in metro Phoenix when it's 120 degrees out like in your boating video. You can even live stream it for us and let us all share in your extreme comfort and enjoyment of the exceptionally tolerable temps.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:19 PM

30,513 posts, read 19,271,318 times
Quote:
I disagree that the topic is nitpicking, the question is which is more tolerable between Florida heat and Phoenix heat and most people I know prefer dry heat like we have in Phoenix over Florida humidity heat.

I will say my wife grew up in New Orleans and tolerates the humid heat pretty well especially compared to me. She's more like you and doesn't like either heat....she complains about the heat here when she's here and complains about the humid heat when in New Orleans or Florida.

I'm able to ride my bike practically every day here and I couldn't do that anywhere near as often in Florida. I also find the swimming exceptional here with warm water and warm temps when you get out. I do admit that I try to minimize being outside during the heat of the day here in the summer as I would also do if I were in Florida.

Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You don't live around here, apparently. 108 is nothing. People are out and about, lakes are packed if it's a weekend, people are golfing, swimming, shopping and standing line to eat at popular chain restaurants. It might be 108 at 3pm but most of the day is under 100 at that temp. 118? That's a different story.
Being on a lake, in a pool, or waiting in line at a restaurant (indoors) is completely different than being outside in the heat without the benefits of water or A/C. Some people are also hiking in the preserves during the summer months, and they're the ones we often hear about ... wasting taxpayers' money & taking paramedics' valuable time to rescue their overheated rumps because of heat exhaustion or injuries which they inflicted on themselves.

Also, while Maroon is definitely a pessimist, I've noticed a fair amount of pessimism and a substantial amount of hypocrisy among the "I love the heat crowd". For instance: the summer heat is the main excuse I've heard for a long time as to why the Phoenix area doesn't have large scale theme parks. Ironically, a lot of the ones who claim to love or greatly tolerate our summer heat are the same ones who have said, "but it's tooooo hottttt" when the issue of theme parks is discussed.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:20 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Lol at posting a video of an expensive, idyllic holiday ski resort to prove that 8 degrees is a comfortable living temp. And I REALLY encourage you to spend some time outside in metro Phoenix when it's 120 degrees out like in your boating video. You can even live stream it for us and let us all share in your extreme comfort and enjoyment of the exceptionally tolerable temps.
Actually, I was in PHX all last summer. And I hauled down my boat. We had a blast around 20 times.

When I thought MN winters were too much for me (40% winter cloud cover or bitter cold when it is sunny), I fixed my problem. I moved. Or, maybe I should hang out on the MN C-D forum telling people how much they are going to hate life. You know, misery loves company. Next, when I didn't like the "Sound of Freedom" (Luke AFB), I moved. It's pretty easy. If the sun gets me down, I'll move again. Simple.

Life is too short to **** and moan about hot temps on forums..... Over and over and over and over (and over) again. I'm starting to think that your posts are actually worse than the weather itself! JUST kidding. You are just trying to keep it real and spread some misery. I get it. lol

I know you are trying to help. But realize, people know how to google the weather. And it will be sunny and high temp around 100 to 105 for the next 10 days. No need to exaggerate that is is miserable for 7 months a year. People can google that factoid too.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:25 AM

89 posts, read 59,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Being on a lake, in a pool, or waiting in line at a restaurant (indoors) is completely different than being outside in the heat without the benefits of water or A/C. Some people are also hiking in the preserves during the summer months, and they're the ones we often hear about ... wasting taxpayers' money & taking paramedics' valuable time to rescue their overheated rumps because of heat exhaustion or injuries which they inflicted on themselves.

Also, while Maroon is definitely a pessimist, I've noticed a fair amount of pessimism and a substantial amount of hypocrisy among the "I love the heat crowd". For instance: the summer heat is the main excuse I've heard for a long time as to why the Phoenix area doesn't have large scale theme parks. Ironically, a lot of the ones who claim to love or greatly tolerate our summer heat are the same ones who have said, "but it's tooooo hottttt" when the issue of theme parks is discussed.
I mean at that point it's about exposure and managing with the weather. People in Minnesota who "don't mind the cold" still aren't going to be going outside in January for extended periods of time in a t-shirt. In Phoenix, I prefer this style of heat to that of the southeast or anywhere muggy, really. That doesn't mean I'm going to actively avoid A/C, misters, water, etc. or go do strenuous activity at 1pm. I do agree on not being an idiot when you hike. It's the same thing when I lived in Minneapolis, I'd avoid going outside or away from heat as much as possible Nov-Mar.

The comparison really is about what type of heat you find more livable, which includes modern creature comforts and how you interact with the weather on a day to day basis. If we're talking being dropped a 2 hour walk from civilization in Florida or the sonoran desert, then it changes things a bit.

In my experience, when I'm in Texas and sitting in a chair in the shade I'm sweating like crazy. In Phoenix the other day I was able to grill in the shade in pretty good comfort.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:56 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
I mean at that point it's about exposure and managing with the weather. People in Minnesota who "don't mind the cold" still aren't going to be going outside in January for extended periods of time in a t-shirt. In Phoenix, I prefer this style of heat to that of the southeast or anywhere muggy, really. That doesn't mean I'm going to actively avoid A/C, misters, water, etc. or go do strenuous activity at 1pm. I do agree on not being an idiot when you hike. It's the same thing when I lived in Minneapolis, I'd avoid going outside or away from heat as much as possible Nov-Mar.

The comparison really is about what type of heat you find more livable, which includes modern creature comforts and how you interact with the weather on a day to day basis. If we're talking being dropped a 2 hour walk from civilization in Florida or the sonoran desert, then it changes things a bit.

In my experience, when I'm in Texas and sitting in a chair in the shade I'm sweating like crazy. In Phoenix the other day I was able to grill in the shade in pretty good comfort.
I've heard many others say the same thing about how Phoenix summers are more tolerable than Texas, Florida, or practically anywhere else. For me, it's a mixed bag. I despise heat, regardless if it's dry or humid. Both are miserable in different ways. At the same time, summer is the perfect season to escape to more cooler, scenic areas. Some of my favorite getaway spots are out of state, but a few others are right here in AZ (100 to 200 miles away from the city).

Now, I have to ask: if Phoenix summers are more comfortable overall, why aren't there large scale theme parks to attract local residents & out of state vacationers? Many of them go to CA, and many others go to FL for Disney & Universal type of attractions. Even Texas has a few large scale amusement parks. What's preventing Arizona (specifically the Phoenix area) from having them? Why hasn't Phoenix hosted the Summer Olympics, and probably won't in the foreseeable future? Swimming is one of the main Olympic events, and most other competitions can be held indoors. The events which are held outdoors shouldn't be a problem because our heat is "tolerable", right?

Old 09-18-2021, 06:21 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I've heard many others say the same thing about how Phoenix summers are more tolerable than Texas, Florida, or practically anywhere else. For me, it's a mixed bag. I despise heat, regardless if it's dry or humid. Both are miserable in different ways. At the same time, summer is the perfect season to escape to more cooler, scenic areas. Some of my favorite getaway spots are out of state, but a few others are right here in AZ (100 to 200 miles away from the city).

Now, I have to ask: if Phoenix summers are more comfortable overall, why aren't there large scale theme parks to attract local residents & out of state vacationers? Many of them go to CA, and many others go to FL for Disney & Universal type of attractions. Even Texas has a few large scale amusement parks. What's preventing Arizona (specifically the Phoenix area) from having them? Why hasn't Phoenix hosted the Summer Olympics, and probably won't in the foreseeable future? Swimming is one of the main Olympic events, and most other competitions can be held indoors. The events which are held outdoors shouldn't be a problem because our heat is "tolerable", right?
Legend City survived here for 20 years (1963-1983) and it was an amusement park. I don't hear too many people talk much about it, though. Not sure if it counts, but Castles & Coasters is still functioning. I can see an amusement park existing in the northern part of the state (Flagstaff/Williams) but not here in the valley unless it's indoors.

Back to the comparison between summers, I was in North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida (Miami) a few years ago during July/August and did not think the heat was bad. Yes, it was humid, but every now and then a cool breeze would happen which was nice. Our summers are arider (unless we're experiencing a good monsoon) but the heat is relentless. In Miami, it was pretty humid...but the ocean and ocean breezes made it much more tolerable. My wife, on the other hand, was not a fan of the humid southern heat and complained about it being hard to breathe at times. She much prefers the dry heat whereas I could honestly do either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area