Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:09 PM

13,689 posts, read 7,976,787 times

Advertisements

I lived with very humid summer weather for years. The humidity made me sluggish and tired during the day. The AZ summers on the other hand are simply...hot and very hot July and August.

Although the AZ heat doesn't wear me out I'm certainly not going to walk to the post office 1/2 a mile away in 110 degree heat. But I don't feel like I need a nap during the afternoon either. (Although being semi-retired I usually take one anyway...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 09:11 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
you guys know you are responding to a 9 year old thread, right?

Old 09-09-2021, 06:26 AM

342 posts, read 319,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, that's younger than my kid. and he is still a noob.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:12 AM

30,347 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I noticed that too but the question is still valid as which is worse between Florida humid heat and Phoenix dry heat.

I can take the dry Phoenix heat better and my BFF just visited from Louisiana for a week and said he prefers the Phoenix summer. My wife seems to prefer the humid heat over the Phoenix dry heat so it just depends on the person and how well they handle heat with humidity.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:48 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I noticed that too but the question is still valid as which is worse between Florida humid heat and Phoenix dry heat.

I can take the dry Phoenix heat better and my BFF just visited from Louisiana for a week and said he prefers the Phoenix summer. My wife seems to prefer the humid heat over the Phoenix dry heat so it just depends on the person and how well they handle heat with humidity.

We had a visitor in town from Houston last week and he was pleasantly delighted at our weather, even though last week was pretty humid by Phoenix standards. He said it's "nothing" compared to Houston, also couldn't believe we're a short drive from the high country.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:34 AM

717 posts, read 1,057,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
We had a visitor in town from Houston last week and he was pleasantly delighted at our weather, even though last week was pretty humid by Phoenix standards. He said it's "nothing" compared to Houston, also couldn't believe we're a short drive from the high country.
Cool. Houston is projected to be in the 80s all next week. Phoenix is projected to be 109 degrees. As usual.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:42 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,397 times
AZ heat feels life threatening if you’re out in it for long. Walking from your car in a parking lot, to a shopping plaza for example, you can feel the extreme heat, and how deadly it could be. Air conditioning indoors and in your car is as vital as having a working, powerful furnace in Minnesota in January. Florida in many cases has an ocean breeze. AZ has the highest ozone levels in the country.

Last edited by 9162; 09-09-2021 at 10:02 AM..

Old 09-09-2021, 11:11 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
curious; how long have you lived in Arizona?

Old 09-09-2021, 12:04 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,730,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Cool. Houston is projected to be in the 80s all next week. Phoenix is projected to be 109 degrees. As usual.
The classic grass is always greener post. It's currently 92 in Houston and feels like 101. It's 102 here and feels like 107. Not cool at all Maroon.

When Houston goes to the 80s it's because moisture is coming in so those real feels will be even larger as the humidity ramps up next week. Hard pass for me.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The real debate with Florida is how close you are to the coast (which is a significant portion of Florida) or if you are inland like Orlando.

Orlando sucks, ok. Orlando summers are the worst, and I hate it. Where my parents live, a mile from the Florida coast, is relatively nice. Still hotter than what I like though.

Florida has better summers, but Arizona has better winters. The summer storms are really nice. When it's not storming in a Florida summer though it's unpleasant, worse than Arizona. Arizona doesn't really get any form of storm relief... because well, we are in a desert. You have to wait for the sun to go down. And then some if you are in civilization due to the heat island. But Florida summer storms is the most reliable constant thing the state offers, so that's why Florida wins here. The sun in Arizona is also the most reliable constant thing this state offers, but the sun is why it's hot, not the reason it cools down.

Arizona has moments of sweater weather, which is what sells me here over Florida in the grand scheme of things. Even when we get *really* cold spurts like we did a week or so ago, the sun still makes it pleasant. And blankets, jackets, etc. exist.

I still stand by what I said earlier this year. Summers are still more tolerable in Florida if you can get wind of any kind. The clockwork style summer rains help significantly. To be fair if Arizona also had clockwork style summer rains we'd be even better than Florida... but we also wouldn't be a desert. Probably look more like Denver with a Great Plains look or San Antonio/Austin than what we do now.

The problem with both our local heat and Florida heat is that it lasts too long, not the actual extremity of it. It's getting close to mid-September and we still have triple digits. I just want it to stop at this point, so much. Bring me the 90s and 80s please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area