Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassieb75 View Post
Most of what I have heard about "anthem" is rather negative. Yes, it seems like a nice family orientend community. The homes are nice, and there are plenty of amenities for folks living there. However, my girlfriend moved there a year or so ago with her husband and two children here is what she had to say......people are very cliquey(sp)if you don't drive the best cars, dress your children from the best stores, and aren't interested in a "swinging" lifestyle, you may not be the norm. Now, I know this sounds quite extreme, but her kids felt like they were from the other side of the tracks. I have no idea why either....she dresses her kids well, they make over $100K a year. She said the school was terrible, the teachers didn't seem to care(which to me was strange since we are in the same district)but, that was her experience. She felt like people were fake and didn't watch their children very well. Living in that community she felt parent's had this false sense of safety that didn't really exist so their kids ran the neighborhood with no supervision. Then there was the story of the young girl that put of flyers for babysitting. Got a call from a guy pretending to be a Dad needing care. The girl went inside his home for an interview while mom waited in the car. Needless to say the man did some inappropriate things to this girl, right there while her mom waited outside.....Ok, so this kind of thing happens everywhere, but my point being, Anthem is no better a place than most other areas in and around Phoenix. Have you looked in the Arrowhead area, or near there? Peoria? I just think the trade-off for communting...isn't a trade-off! There are plenty of nice neighborhoods here that won't constitute the horrible,dreadful commute to anthem. Good luck, sorry I didn't have much good to say. If you want more info on other areas that I mentioned....PM me
You have just described most of Phoenix. He's probably safer in Anthem. If I were in his shoes, I'd ignore your advice (no offense) and move to Anthem.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I can understand why you need to move out of Fort Collins-- not enough jobs there-- but why not move an hour south to Denver? There are just as many upper level management positions in Denver as there are in Phoenix-- if not even more. Even though Denver is a smaller city, it actually has more Fortune 1000 companies, and a more diversified economy-- in addition to real estate/construction, they have a lot of energy companies, banking/securities, and high tech. What you're saying doesn't make sense... driving from Fort Collins to Denver, 50 miles/ 1 hour drive is too much, as you're saying, but Anthem to Downtown Phoenix, slightly less miles and probably the same commute time, isn't? That's a big mistake, IMO. The only "lifestyle" you'll be living will be in your car. If you're serious about moving to Phoenix, I would move closer in where your job is. If your job requires you to commute to downtown Phoenix 5 days a week, I'd forget it.

In my opinion, if you LOVE Fort Collins and living in Colorado, you will probably be disappointed with Anthem/Phoenix. The only thing Arizona has over Colorado, IMHO, is warmer weather in the winter months-- which is only an advantage if you hate cold-- some people actually like CO's dry cold and powdery snow. I also disagree that Anthem is the equivalent of Fort Collins. Anthem is more like Loveland or Castle Rock. I don't think there's any true equivalent to the fort in AZ-- the closest thing would probably be a mix of Tempe's college atmosphere, Gilbert's family friendliness, and Flagstaff's climate and recreation. Not trying to be the party pooper here, just telling you what's up from someone who's also from Colorado (and will be going back in 7 months). Go Rockies btw!
Good point on the high paying jobs - there are very few. Phoenix has few companies that are looking for executives.
And one point for you!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Who said it would be a 45 min commute to downtown phx? It's much more than that. If I took the freeway to work in Central PHX (several miles north of Downtown PHX) it would take me about that much or more and I'm 12 miles south of Anthem right off the freeway. I take surface streets and it takes me 35 to 40 mins!

Have you visited Anthem yet and traveled around the area and to downtown phx? I do like Anthem and it would be on my list of places to live IF and only if I worked from home. I have a coworker who commutes from there and he has to come in at 10:30am to survive the commute.

I think somewhere in the Arrowhead Ranch or North Peoria would be a better idea if you have to commute so far. The traffic is insane on the only road going in and out of Anthem. Save yourself the headache! Rent somewhere else and see what it's like and if it's as bad as I'm saying it is then you will be happy you're not renting there!

If you try jumping on the 17 from the 101 on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon some days it is BACKED UP! I have to go another way to get to my house.
Geez, what are you guys? ---- REALTORS in PEORIA????

Old 10-27-2007, 12:08 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Geez, what are you guys? ---- REALTORS in PEORIA????
LOL Nope, we just know a good area when we see it.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:51 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Even on the weekend, driving from Anthem to downtown is 30 minutes. If you're going to work downtown, live in the city. I don't understand why everyone has to live further and further out. These far out suburbs are breeding grounds for serial killers with their nondescript streetscapes, plentiful cul de sacs and walled in subdivisions. Nobody knows what's going on, and apparently, it's so bad that Anthem's got a reputation for swingers. That's a nice dark corner to the family-friendly portrait!

For someone in a city as loved and supported by its citizens as Fort Collins, it appears you've made up your mind that Phoenix is undesirable and unworthy of that same level of civic concern. Rather than continuing from my soapbox (most of my posts are in the politics thread so it's hard to shift gears), I'd just say that you will tire of the commute and whatever positive aspects there are from living here will be overshadowed by your exhaustion. I can't suggest any place in town because I don't have any children. I have found a little piece of paradise only 7 miles north northeast of downtown and I would never consider living anywhere further out. Perhaps you and your family can do the same.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
That is a really big change from Ft. Collins to the Phoenix area, Anthem included. Personally I'd choose the Anthem commute to downtown rather than the Arrowhead commute. IMHO, the 101 is worse than I-17. Plus, if you can find someone to car pool with, you should be fine because you can use the HOV lane. I had to commute to down I-17 (past Anthem) to downtown Phoenix for a few weeks from Prescott (90 miles away). We carpooled and I don't think it ever took us more than 1-1/2 hours DURING RUSH HOUR all the way from Prescott. One time I didn't have my "carpooler" with me and it took me about 15 minutes longer to not use the HOV lanes. Point being, 1-3/4+ from Anthem is an exaggeration.

I'm concerned that maybe you haven't thoroughly checked out Phoenix-the-Sprawling-City and Phoenix-in-the-Summertime. Denver is about 1/2 the size of Phoenix, so be prepared. Downtown Denver and Phoenix cannot be compared. Phoenix really does not have a true downtown, so don't expect it to be like Denver. It's totally different. They're working to reinvent it, but it's really not a fun place to be. Also, be prepared for several months where the daytime high will never drop below 100, and the lows will never drop below 80.

Just come for a nice long visit before you decide to jump. It will be a huge life-style change for you. IMHO, Prescott or Flagstaff have a vibe that's much more similar to Ft. Collins (plus mild 4-season weather), but finding a high-paying job up here is next to impossible. There are a few, though, if you happen to fit the criteria of what they're looking for.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:28 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toucan Sam View Post
Please convince me that the following logic is way off-base, wrong, or misguided!!!

But first, thank you for the helpful Phoenix threads on commuting, family-friendly towns, "concrete heat effect," deadly critters, crime rates, etc.

My family and I have boiled the collective responses down to renting in Anthem, AZ for 6 months to 1 year before buying. We based our decision on: 1) it's the "thermostat-cooler" alternative to Gilbert and NE Mesa; 2) it's (ahem) "more affordable" than Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Paradise Valley, etc.; 3) Anthem has many comparable family-friendly amenities to Fort Collins, CO (e.g., kiddie railroad, water park slides, hiking/biking in the foothills, dog parks, open space, etc.); 4) lower crime rates; 5) our existing home in CO will likely sell in 6-9 months; 6) rental prices are reasonable in Anthem; 7) a 45-minute commute may not be so bad after all; 8) Phoenix will likely grow north into Anthem one day; and 9) if the job doesn't work out, we can return to Colorado before the 2 babies are in school (approx. 4 years from now).

Background: My family and I are relocating from Fort Collins, CO to "Somewhere Greater Phoenix." My new job is in downtown Phoenix starting 01/01/08. Although Fort Collins was ranked the #1 place to live in Money Magazine 2006, I can't find a high-end white collar management job within 50 miles (1 hour)! We hate to leave this wonderful town, but the Phoenix job is presently our best alternative.... (If you are a Greater Denver employer with immediate availability for a management guru, let's talk!)

You are just kidding about the thermostat right? Once it's over 100 a few degrees do not matter,you wouldn't know the differnce whether you were in the N,E,W, or S part of the Valley.

I agree with Sable, I like Arrowhead Ranch.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:51 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I'm concerned that maybe you haven't thoroughly checked out Phoenix-the-Sprawling-City and Phoenix-in-the-Summertime. Denver is about 1/2 the size of Phoenix, so be prepared. Downtown Denver and Phoenix cannot be compared. Phoenix really does not have a true downtown, so don't expect it to be like Denver. It's totally different. They're working to reinvent it, but it's really not a fun place to be. Also, be prepared for several months where the daytime high will never drop below 100, and the lows will never drop below 80.
Wikipedia says:
Denver-Aurora MSA:2,359,994
Denver-Aurora-Boulder CSA: 2,927,911

Maricopa County: 3,768,123
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale MSA (includes Pinal county): 4,039,182

Not to split hairs here, but Denver is more like 2/3 the size of Phoenix. They both have their problems, both have sprawl, and neither is paradise, but I think Denver-- both the core city and the metro area as a whole-- has a lot more to offer than Phoenix in pretty much every department, other than having a year round balmy climate. Thank God Denver has freezing temperatures and gets a lot of snow, otherwise Denver would be as big as Phoenix-- or even worse. Actually, from the 19th century until the late 1980s, Denver WAS a bigger city. Both cities grew tremendously during the 1990s, but Phoenix outpaced Denver with lightning speed growth. I agree with Gretchen though, if you had the opportunity to live in Prescott, that is the place you would want to be. Northern Arizona rocks! Unfortunately, it's not an option for most people.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:40 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
[quote=Gretchen B;1844809]That is a really big change from Ft. Collins to the Phoenix area, Anthem included. Personally I'd choose the Anthem commute to downtown rather than the Arrowhead commute. IMHO, the 101 is worse than I-17. Plus, if you can find someone to car pool with, you should be fine because you can use the HOV lane. I had to commute to down I-17 (past Anthem) to downtown Phoenix for a few weeks from Prescott (90 miles away). We carpooled and I don't think it ever took us more than 1-1/2 hours DURING RUSH HOUR all the way from Prescott. One time I didn't have my "carpooler" with me and it took me about 15 minutes longer to not use the HOV lanes. Point being, 1-3/4+ from Anthem is an exaggeration. [quote]

I don't believe the 101 is worse than the 17. Gridlock is gridlock, plus living in Arrowhead you can take numerous surface streets to the 17 or to downtown. There's no other way out of Anthem. Arrowhead is MUCH closer to downtown than Anthem. There's just no comparison.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
[quote=sablebaby;1849647][quote=Gretchen B;1844809]That is a really big change from Ft. Collins to the Phoenix area, Anthem included. Personally I'd choose the Anthem commute to downtown rather than the Arrowhead commute. IMHO, the 101 is worse than I-17. Plus, if you can find someone to car pool with, you should be fine because you can use the HOV lane. I had to commute to down I-17 (past Anthem) to downtown Phoenix for a few weeks from Prescott (90 miles away). We carpooled and I don't think it ever took us more than 1-1/2 hours DURING RUSH HOUR all the way from Prescott. One time I didn't have my "carpooler" with me and it took me about 15 minutes longer to not use the HOV lanes. Point being, 1-3/4+ from Anthem is an exaggeration.
Quote:

I don't believe the 101 is worse than the 17. Gridlock is gridlock, plus living in Arrowhead you can take numerous surface streets to the 17 or to downtown. There's no other way out of Anthem. Arrowhead is MUCH closer to downtown than Anthem. There's just no comparison.
I think the lack of HOV lanes on 101 is what makes it worse for me. If we're doing the carpool thing, I can actually drive from Anthem to downtown (using HOV lanes) faster than coming from Arrowhead using the 101. Takes me about 3/4 hr to get from Anthem to downtown. I agree with you about Arrowhead being a very nice area, though. And I can see why many would choose Arrowhead over Anthem, but I have several friends who live in Anthem and they really like it, so I guess it just depends on what appeals to a person. Neither Anthem or Arrowhead are anything even remotely like Ft. Collins, though. Ft. Collins is a beautiful energetic fun city of about 200,000pop (I'm guessing). If I ever moved back to Colorado it would either be Ft. Collins or Grand Junction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area