Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM

105 posts, read 446,658 times

Advertisements

Jobs here are still scarce, they pay low and are hard to come by. IT, forget it. My neighbor gave up trying to find an IT job and took a job driving a city bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,770,717 times
I work part time for the city of phoenix libraries. We have nothing but part time positions. Seems to be the up and coming theme with the city lately. Anyways, we had two open spots here at the library, and for those two spots in the department I'm in, we literally had thousands of applicants. Thousands! Its quite a large number, but its what it is. Most of the applicants know it is part time in the hope it eventually turns full time, but when they ask, we have to inform them that the likelihood of full time is virtually impossible. Some are still interested in further hopes that even though it is part time, that we still give part time benefits. I then have to break their hearts again and tell them that there are zero benefits of being part time. No sick leave, PTO, vacation time or health insurance. Nothing. Its actually pretty discouraging. I've been here over three years and have nowhere to go in the library. The only opportunities there will be for me is to leave and seek them else where. As for the job market? Hmmm, don't know where to compare it to but I can tell you that aside from min. wage, there's not much, and what is out there has fierce competition. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 PM

181 posts, read 440,175 times
My refugee neighbor just got hired by Papa John central facility, he is graveyarding for 10 ph, but told me many of his local counterparts are making 7.80. He, too, stated everything was part time, but this.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 11,033 times
Doesn't sound promising. Though, I am trying to get an internal transfer.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM

701 posts, read 1,098,609 times
I guess for many, this is an area people move to because they like it here, then compromise as far as career goes for the other benefits the area has to offer. It doesn't really seem like a place people go to actually build their careers.

I absolutely love living here, but I think I'm going to have to move on to greener pastures within the next year.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM

131 posts, read 345,557 times
I work in Healthcare IT and have never had an issue finding a job. If you have experience in IT and a degree, which most of the employers I have worked for require, then you can find work. You can also find entry level jobs in IT doing Help Desk work to get your feet in the door. Just be willing to be flexible, there are jobs out there.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:11 PM

I passed a phone interview today. In person interview set for next week. Not too shabby!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:18 PM

118 posts, read 318,847 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. There are some places where you basically just need to be breathing and able to pass a drug test to get hired. Cox, U-haul and Amazon come to mind. But, of course, the work sucks.

I've seen a lot of IT job postings, but I have personally had little luck actually getting hired in IT. Maybe just because I haven't managed to finish my BS yet (financial issues), though I do have an AS, which when added to $3 will get me a cup of coffee. There do seem to be a lot of jobs for people with better qualifications, though. There are a lot of upstart high-tech businesses in the area, though they may not be very stable. There is also Intel.

As others mentioned, there are tons of healthcare jobs.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:25 PM

This is a foreclosure position. I've been in mortgage banking for over 8 years. Scary to possibly start with a new company.

Old 04-06-2013, 03:00 PM

118 posts, read 318,847 times
The real estate market is pretty hot here right now, but foreclosures seem to be rather low. Two years ago, when i bought my house (a HUD foreclosure), there were dozens of HUD foreclosures just in the same subdivision. When I decided to sell said house, I checked the HUD site to see if I was competing against foreclosures and there was only one in the entire zip code.

I don't know if that information is helpful, but there it is, just in case
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area