Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 04:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Phoenix is not for everyone. It doesn't make you a bad person for having doubts about Phoenix. I could never live in Seattle. It's a beautiful city and I respect it but I could never live there due to their weather.

Likewise, given your situation, I would not move. Having family nearby is priceless. Letting your son graduate with his high school class is priceless. Seattle is home for you. There are things you don't like about it but there are aspects you love about it. Why would you move when you have so much going on there? If you have to convince yourself to do something, you shouldn't do it. I don't love everything about Phoenix but it's home for me. I don't like the summers but I deal with it and it's much easier than dealing with a winter in my opinion.

Talking yourself into something or even starting a thread questioning moving here means you shouldn't move here. The reason I say that is many people in your situation has moved here. They had to talk themselves into moving here and they liked it for the first year and after that, they got tired of Phoenix. The heat gets to them. The lack of an urban core/major downtown gets to them. The lack of being near the ocean bothers them. It's a big change for certain people and after a year or two they move.

In my opinion, the people who most struggle with moving to Phoenix are those who live on the Pacific coast (Seattle, Portland, SF, LA, SD). They are used to a certain lifestyle and they get tired of Phoenix after a while and want to move. The people who do well here are those from the Midwest and East Coast due to the harsh winter weather they deal with. Even though it's hot here, they appreciate the lack of a winter for the most part. Unlike the Pacific crowd, the Midwest and East Coast folk are not used to the luxuries of the West Coast, they are not used to space, nice freeways and road, nice weather, new element to everything, so they move here and impressed.
If I could get my husband to move to Phoenix, I might move tomorrow - because I love warm weather and no winters (compared to here - Kansas). I consider Kansas Midwest. Some don't, but those of us who live here do - at least the Kansas City area. Weather is the reason I'd want to move. I am used to nice roads and plenty of space and new everything. I live in a suburb of Kansas City that is in the top 25 wealthiest counties in the U.S. and the most affluent county in Kansas, and we have nice roads and space and new businesses. I wouldn't be happy if I moved there and didn't have those things.

I have only been to Phoenix once and didn't go anywhere except Scottsdale and Tempe. One big thing that I noticed compared to here is trees. We have big tall, leafy, shady trees, lots of them, and you don't notice how much they cut down on noise, like even street traffic, until they aren't there. We noticed a striking difference when we were in Phoenix.

I still would like a chance to live in Phoenix, though. But right now I'd have to move by myself because my husband doesn't want to go. If I had a few extra hundred thousand, I would by a second home there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
You were right, its a beautiful 84 high today. Im not sorry to be wrong. To be right, Id have to be running the AC all day today. I can't take the indoor heat when its over 90 outside. Please let it last 3 more weeks, like you said. ALTHOUGH, when its 110, my boy and I love to use the pool (at night). I hope you don't think I was fighting with you Personally about Arizona, Im not the biggest fan of the heat, but I do respect your opinion.
I was just outside and it is cooler there than indoors! Nice. We better enjoy it because its back over 100 early next week. We may still see a couple 80s but the odds are fading. See you in October, LOL.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was just outside and it is cooler there than indoors! Nice. We better enjoy it because its back over 100 early next week. We may still see a couple 80s but the odds are fading. See you in October, LOL.
Sitting on my porch right now, nice breeze. Wish it would last forever.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,936 times
I was out on Canyon Lake today. Other than being a bit windy, it was an absolutely beautiful day on the water. Perfect temps and sunny skies.
See, it isn't always a gozillion degrees here.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I was out on Canyon Lake today. Other than being a bit windy, it was an absolutely beautiful day on the water. Perfect temps and sunny skies.
See, it isn't always a gozillion degrees here.
Very well-written.

I think many people who don't know much about Phoenix or haven't been here have this notion that it's hot all year long, even in the wintertime.

The fact is June, July, and August are the horridly hot months, and sometimes September is just as hot, so there's really just three or four months of to suffer through and the rest of the year is pretty nice.

The same people seem to think Phoenix is infested with snakes, lizards, scorpions, and bugs of every species. It's so untrue, and that's another thing that really bugs me if you'll pardon the pun.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM

211 posts, read 544,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Very well-written.

I think many people who don't know much about Phoenix or haven't been here have this notion that it's hot all year long, even in the wintertime.

The fact is June, July, and August are the horridly hot months, and sometimes September is just as hot, so there's really just three or four months of to suffer through and the rest of the year is pretty nice.

The same people seem to think Phoenix is infested with snakes, lizards, scorpions, and bugs of every species. It's so untrue, and that's another thing that really bugs me if you'll pardon the pun.

I agree w the above. I've been out to Az 3x visiting in order to make the move from the East Coast. I was there in late June and the 115 weather didn't bother me one bit. It was nice cause there was No humidity. I could and would rather deal w 100 degrees than 0-20 degrees and cold and snowing anyday !!!
Everytime I visited I never saw any bugs,scorpions etc. and i have friends who have lived there for 8 yrs and have never come across any Yet.

If you really want to see tons of bugs, snakes move to Florida. Lol

Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunni2012 View Post
I agree w the above. I've been out to Az 3x visiting in order to make the move from the East Coast. I was there in late June and the 115 weather didn't bother me one bit. It was nice cause there was No humidity. I could and would rather deal w 100 degrees than 0-20 degrees and cold and snowing anyday !!!
Everytime I visited I never saw any bugs,scorpions etc. and i have friends who have lived there for 8 yrs and have never come across any Yet.

If you really want to see tons of bugs, snakes move to Florida. Lol
visiting in that temp, and living in 100 plus temps for months on end are two different things. I have seen bugs, scorpions (hiking) and one rattle snake here. The one rattler was at superstition state park.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 PM

28 posts, read 84,864 times
I'll chime in. My wife and I moved here last Labor Day and so far I love it. My wife not so much but she is slowly adjusting. I haven't seen a snake yet or a scorpion and only a few small lizards at South mountain Park. It was the Fall and winter season so that's not surprising.

The last 6 months have been absolutely perfect weather wise and while I'm looking forward to the coming triple digit season with a mix of curiosity and dread our new house has AC and a pool so I'm not too worried. I say come on down and join the other 4 million of us....there's water for everyone!!

Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
If I could get my husband to move to Phoenix, I might move tomorrow - because I love warm weather and no winters (compared to here - Kansas). I consider Kansas Midwest. Some don't, but those of us who live here do - at least the Kansas City area. Weather is the reason I'd want to move. I am used to nice roads and plenty of space and new everything. I live in a suburb of Kansas City that is in the top 25 wealthiest counties in the U.S. and the most affluent county in Kansas, and we have nice roads and space and new businesses. I wouldn't be happy if I moved there and didn't have those things.

I have only been to Phoenix once and didn't go anywhere except Scottsdale and Tempe. One big thing that I noticed compared to here is trees. We have big tall, leafy, shady trees, lots of them, and you don't notice how much they cut down on noise, like even street traffic, until they aren't there. We noticed a striking difference when we were in Phoenix.

I still would like a chance to live in Phoenix, though. But right now I'd have to move by myself because my husband doesn't want to go. If I had a few extra hundred thousand, I would by a second home there.
I've been to Overland Park. Yes, I know that is what you are referring to. While Overland Park is nice, it's not close to being Phoenix and it's definitely not West Coast. Overland Park is a nice city but it's very different. For one thing, it's flat, you don't have mountains. Sure you have some steep hills but that's not the same as being surrounded by mountain chains and when it snows here, the mountains are snow capped, you don't have that there. I don't want a lot of trees. Part of the appeal of Phoenix is the sense of open space and the view of the mountains and beautiful scenery in the background including the sunsets. I feel that trees clutter that and eliminate that feeling of open space. We have enough trees that you can have them on your property and access them at parks but I don't need rows upon rows of trees like in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-10-2013 at 12:55 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I've been to Overland Park. Yes, I know that is what you are referring to. While Overland Park is nice, it's not close to being Phoenix and it's definitely not West Coast. Overland Park is a nice city but it's very different. For one thing, it's flat, you don't have mountains. Sure you have some steep hills but that's not the same as being surrounded by mountain chains and when it snows here, the mountains are snow capped, you don't have that there. I don't want a lot of trees. Part of the appeal of Phoenix is the sense of open space and the view of the mountains and beautiful scenery in the background including the sunsets. I feel that trees clutter that and eliminate that feeling of open space. We have enough trees that you can have them on your property and access them at parks but I don't need rows upon rows of trees like in the Pacific Northwest.
This place is absolutely perfect for you, from that perspective, I can't think of very many places in the USA that has beautiful mountains, but very few trees to get in the way of the view. I love the mountains here, it reminds me of Mars...I really love that look. You could start a thread on trying to find another place that appeals to your likes. Surrounding mountains, but few trees to block the view. Central California comes to mind, but I ironically, not Sacramento, as it is referred to as the City of Trees (I must add that town to my list of places to check out). Denver might be another city, but the mountains are only to the west. Maybe Salt lalke city..but Ive only driven thru it. I know Im kinda off topic, but your post really intrigued me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area