Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM

29 posts, read 97,710 times

Advertisements

"If you're trying pre-med, do yourself a favor and choose another state. I'm sorry, but AZ is not thought of highly within the US."

Someone sent me this comment but I don't know who...
Arizona is actually a good state if you would like to go into integrative medicine, osteopathic medicine, or any of the hollistic medicine fields. I am going osteopathic and would like to work more in public health or community health and Arizona is a good place for that. Why would you say it isn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,269,453 times
There are lots of nice neighborhoods just north of the Salt River in North Tempe and South Scottsdale. I lived there while going to ASU and have friends that live there today.

I also commuted from West Phoenix to ASU and that was a pain. It would be twice as bad today, I don't recommend it.

ASU is like most large state schools, you'll find whatever you are looking for. Folks that put a school down because some of the kids like to party are probably too old to remember what they were like before metamucil became a daily ritual.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:55 PM

29 posts, read 97,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
I also commuted from West Phoenix to ASU and that was a pain. It would be twice as bad today, I don't recommend it..
Well it seems most people are telling me to avoid living where I would take the 101 into school, At least that is what I think they are saying I am going to come out there next week and spend a week with some friends in Glendale and check out all the areas that I was looking at houses and drive from those areas to campus during rush hour!
What cities are near phoenix west? is that like Avondale?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
I would live within walking distance in Tempe if I were you. It's hard to get around and parking is a drag! When you are here check out some apts. off University. Then you can just walk everywhere. Or bike. The weather is good enough to do this all school year. Commuting to your friends house would be easier than commuting to ASU.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,255,285 times
I was just at the ASU campus yesterday b'c I want to go back to school to get an accounting degree (I already have a bachelors). I don't know about the faculty but I thought the campus was really nice. Here's the thing though: I've already "been there done that" with the whole "college experience" so my dilemma is do I REALLY want ot go through it again going attending the main campus? We also live out in Buckeye so the commute will be a you-know-what. I'm now leaning towards the West campus for this very reason. Even though mileage-wise it's only a 5 miles difference (according to Google), I believe the commute time-wise will be shorter, finding parking will be easier and generaly speaking going to the West campus will probably be easier to manage than going to Tempe. I hung around the campus for a while on Friday, too, and it just felt like a typical, large, college campus. If that's what you are looking for, then I'd say Tempe is for you. If you are trying to avoid that kind of atmostphere then go to another campus.

I graduated from a small, private university so I am actually very intrigued about experiencing a big college but I'm not THAT intrigued to base my decision solely on that one factor! My priority is to finish school with good grades and get a decent career started. The time has passed to go to a big party school for me so again, another appeal for the west campus.

Good luck to you! I know it's tough b'c I'm having trouble deciding, too!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:25 PM

56 posts, read 191,298 times
I would live in Tempe. Commuting down the 101 would be awful; commuting on the 10 would be unpleasant.

If you have to live in Glendale for some reason, you might consider catching the shuttle from ASU West to the main campus in Tempe.

Biosciences is huge at ASU these days, and as it's a Research I with top people, it's a very good place to be. There are lovely new labs.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:01 AM

919 posts, read 3,396,309 times
Don't listen too much to those who harp on the past re. ASU's reputation as a party school, etc. It may be true to an extent, but the current president is akin to a Bill Gates/Steve Jobs in the academic world. I wish my alma mater had the same leadership and drive.

Regardless of the past, they want to build world-class programs across the board and are investing heavily to do so. They've recruited top Nobel prize winners and other scientists to build new programs in cutting edge areas. Check out the Biodesign Institute and the school's involvement in TGen and other endeavors.

I work in the biotech news business and this is one of the hot spots where education, govt and private investment are fermenting well. Usually academia sits back for the ride, but in this area, ASU is pushing everyone.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Both of those claims, btw, are BS, rumors with no facts to support it, and are years out of date. I won't deny that many students at ASU like to party-- but so do kids at pretty much every other college.
You took the words right out of my mouth. EVERY school is a party school - especially if that's what you're into.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:38 PM

252 posts, read 953,560 times
One really should find out what courses/professors are at each location to decide.

I believe ASU West Campus has a much less "party" atmosphere than the Tempe Campus. I don't think there are any dorms at West.

I have several friends who live very close to West and they never notice the school is even there, their apartments/condos/neighborhoods aren't full of kids. The local bars and restaurants aren't either. I lived and worked in Tempe and have friends there now and you DO notice that ASU is there. We all go to Scottsdale or Mesa for restaurants and bars during the school year. Or did before South Tempe/Chandler grew so much.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 AM

7 posts, read 25,486 times
Princetonreview.com gives you the stats on the schools rankings for partying and things of that nature. actually it is like #4 in partying. i believe and std? every school has that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area