Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:22 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromus-X View Post
I had to take someone to the airport the other day and all the digital signs were turned off. We had NO idea where to go at first.

The rental car return is incredibly hidden, IMO, when you're approaching it from the East and taking the I10 way to get there. I know you're supposed to go past the McCarran exit according to the signs you see, and we just happened to get off at a random exit after saying "there's no way it's this far away" and saw a sign for it.

Other than that I think they do a great job.
McCarran exit this isn't Vegas. I work next to the airport and there are signs everywhere on 24th St and Buckeye directing you the the car rental terminal or just follow all the shuttles going there every minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,663 times
I have family out in Surprise so I usually am at the airport every year and I must say that Sky Harbor is actually pretty good. Although I think there is one row of overhead signs that is placed right behind an overpass so you see it at the last second and it's the last set of signs. That's a bit annoying, and also arrivals doesn't really have any clearly identifying features. You just randomly exit a door into the covered dimly lit area. At least departures has the names of the airlines so you know where to go. Arrivals just has door numbers that can be hidden by cars/SUVs/buses. So it can be annoying trying to tell someone "I'm at the end by the 5 with the no smoking sign and wearing jeans". Not because you're crap at instructions but because that's all you really have to go by. Plus I never knew before about a week ago that the even numbered doors is the South side and the odd numbered doors is the North side. So my uncle will ask, "Are you on the North or South side?" I have no clue, it's not marked SOUTH or NORTH when you exit. Maybe it is and I'm just oblivious but yeah otherwise Sky Harbor is a pretty awesome airport. Traffic is minimal and I have never had to wait at TSA for longer than 10 minutes maybe. Hell sometime it's actually empty and the TSA agents look bored and happy you showed up so they have something to do. If a TSA agent is being testy then it's probably the individual person not the airport or TSA as a whole.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:28 PM

216 posts, read 605,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
McCarran exit this isn't Vegas. I work next to the airport and there are signs everywhere on 24th St and Buckeye directing you the the car rental terminal or just follow all the shuttles going there every minute.
Oops... just got back from there, brain not working. I'm talking about taking I10 north towards the airport. The signs say not to take 143 for the rental car return, but if you keep going on I10 (now heading west), the signs just sort of ... disappear.

Maybe there's more after the exit we took, but we just finally said "this is enough". I don't know where we got off, but as soon as we took the exit there was a sign for the rental car return area. Maybe 24th, maybe Buckeye. Once we were on the exit it was fine, but knowing WHICH exit to take was the question.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:41 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
I use PHX all the time to travel for business. It is not the best laid out Airport but it is not the worst. I am kind of annoyed by the new Sky Train thing from East Economy...if you are not flying out of Terminal 4 you have to get on the sky Train...go to terminal 4, go downstairs, go outside and wait for a bus to get to the terminal you needed to get to in the first place...same thing when you return. I know they are going to be expanding it, etc. but it is kind of annoying if you are not on US Air or Southwest out of Terminal 4 (yes there are others but I usually don't fly British Air, AeroMexico or Air Canada). That and they closed my bus stop in the East Economy that I normally park at.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems with PHX....not like Philly or Dallas.

OP: I am not familiar with Sky West but if you checked in online or checked your confirmation they usually list the terminal you are flying out of. I have never had a problem with the signs at PHX but is Sky West was selling as another airline or only has a couple of gates maybe that is why they weren't listed?

Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
I think SkyWest only operates partner airlines out of Sky Harbor .... from Phoenix to San Francisco most likely United Express

Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 PM

233 posts, read 258,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think SkyWest only operates partner airlines out of Sky Harbor .... from Phoenix to San Francisco most likely United Express
Correct, SkyWest is only a partner airline at Sky Harbor. They operate flights for United and US Airways. That's the reason the OP saw no signage for SkyWest. It should have stated clearly in the reservations which airline, United or USAir, they were opearting this flight for.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM

123 posts, read 243,252 times
I wasn't allowed to check in online, for an International trip.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM

123 posts, read 243,252 times
They did handle the compensation for their maintenance problem pretty well. When I got to Bangkok, there was already an email offering me 7000 frequent flyer miles or 150 off of a future trip. I chose the miles.

I wasn't real comfy about them losing my bag for two days in countries where drug possession can net a death penalty.
"We have your bag now you must confess." But, that kind of thing only happens in the movies (and Hermosillo).

Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
I wasn't allowed to check in online, for an International trip.
that is standard procedure.....

your original concerns are just part of traveling....we all take "risks" (a banana peel?) when we step out of our homes into the world....and, as noted, Sky Harbor seems to have little to do with your problems....LAX, SFO, the specific airlines, and the TSA seem more at "fault".....this shouldn't even be called the "Sky Harbor...." thread....

sorry you had a bad time....

Last edited by azdr0710; 05-29-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
They did handle the compensation for their maintenance problem pretty well. When I got to Bangkok, there was already an email offering me 7000 frequent flyer miles or 150 off of a future trip. I chose the miles.

I wasn't real comfy about them losing my bag for two days in countries where drug possession can net a death penalty.
"We have your bag now you must confess." But, that kind of thing only happens in the movies (and Hermosillo).
And NONE of that has anything to do with Sky Harbor Airport....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
that is standard procedure.....

your original concerns are just part of traveling....we all take "risks" (a banana peel?) when we step out of our homes into the world....and, as noted, Sky Harbor seems to have little to do with your problems....LAX, SFO, the specific airlines, and the TSA seem more at "fault".....this shouldn't even be called the "Sky Harbor...." thread....

sorry you had a bad time....
Precisely. If the idea is to share travel gripes involving places all over the country and the world, the place for that is the travel forum in the general forums, not this forum. If you all want to make this a discussion actually about Sky Harbor, that's fine, but the other travel discussion needs to go elsewhere.

Last edited by observer53; 05-30-2013 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area