Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 152,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmildman View Post
Occasionally I still drive past Sixteenth and Roosevelt and as a matter of fact, that whole area has not changed fast enough. The Church's Chicken, the Mexican restaurant, the Checks Cashed, and the only newer building there is the Ranch Market.
There is still a Lazy Lou's fish and chips at 2718 West Bethany Home Road. Most people prefer Brad's down the street (around 23rd Ave.) now. That neighborhood was great, as a kid, one of my uncles and his family lived over there. The Kachina Theater and the 300 Bowl down the street. We used to go to the movie and then spend the day hanging out at the bowling alley.
On the SE corner of 16th street and Roosvelt was a gas station and next to it was an old strip mall, that is about 4 stores with shared walls. The first store was a Drug store, the next was a dime store, I think was called Kreskies or something like that and there was a grocery store. The grovery store was not a chain store so I do not remember its name. There was no Lazy Lou's fish and chips there in the 50's or 60'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Here is some kind of funny history. The newspaper sure had a good time with the word 'dam.' Back in 1934 California was going to put a dam across the Colorado River. Here is what happened.
Attachment 67001

Attachment 67002

Attachment 67003 This last photo is the Phoenix National Guardsmen being sent off to the river.

Do you know that the area on 52nd street and McDowell which is the present National Guard station that it used to be a POW camp for German soldiers during WWII?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
The counter and pharmacy are original. That is amazing in itself. I think there was a small grocery store to the right and a barber shop to the left back about 1950.

Attachment 67091 Located a 1930's view, grocery store to the right. There was an extension to the left in the 40's.
Further up the block on 16th street was another Drug Store which now is an Adult movie place. Does anyone have pictures or know the name of that Drug store. I think it is across the street from a used car lot. Jack in the box built their first fast food resturant across the street in the 60's. They tore that down and built another one in its same place.

On about 9th street and Van Burean was the Prime Rib. I had my first date there in the 60's, a double date with my brother and his best friend. Later in the mid 70's my sister married the cook who worked at the Prime Rib, Les Newtons. The Newtons owned several resturants at that time. A Mexican resturant at Park Central and the Beef Eaters I believe in Cambelback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack swilling View Post
Would anyone recall much about the time in the mid-fifties when an irruption of robins and locusts occurred? It was the fall when hundreds or thousands of robins entered the valley and hung around for so long that we bird watchers were in avian heaven, at least until it dawned on us that it was a mere irruption, not an extension of the robins' range. Everywhere we looked, there were fat and sassy robin redbreasts hanging out in trees, like it was Chicago or New York City. Then they were gone.

It was around Easter in the mid-fifties when locusts invaded the valley in great numbers. (The robin and locust phenomena were unconnected.)When the Easter vacation was over and we kids returned to schools, we found mostly dead grasshoppers inside our classrooms, even inside enclosed desks.

In those days, before much insecticide, steel, glass, asphalt--and too many humans--the valley seemed alive. I was into birdwatching and I had feeding and watering stations all around our nice yard and today I can hardly believe the number of species I attracted. I never forget the mockingbirds singing at two and three in the morning in the citrus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Up until the mid 70s I didn't know anyone who had AC in their homes. And I thought they were rich! Not for the AC, but they had a new home, new car with AC, etc.
I remeber this quite well. I used to cross 16th street at the Roosevelt intercention on the way to Garfield school and remember how slippery the streets were as the cars ran over the multitude of locust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Roosevelt, can you (or anyone) id the locations of these 2 images?

I think the one showing the Mint Cafe is at Washington & 2 Ave maybe? Is that the old Ford hotel on the right and the Professional Building in the background? From what I remember about this image, was that there was a protest of sorts going on with the local "negros". Info anybody?

The other one may be near Phx Union High School. That looks a bit like Monroe School in the background.(7th ST & Monroe) BTW. Barry Goldwater attended both of these schools (assuming Im right) Im thinking 7th St & Van Buren looking ESE.
I do believe that is Monroe school in the background of one of the pictures. The other picture has a lot of eating places across the street from Phoenix Union. I remeber in the early 60's there were several places to buy lunch around the school. they had a cafeteria but many students enjoyed buying lunch around the corner.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM

283 posts, read 880,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
Do you know that the area on 52nd street and McDowell which is the present National Guard station that it used to be a POW camp for German soldiers during WWII?
Quite a few POW camps around during WWII...........

The POW Camps in Arizona during World War II included:

Bouse (Camp), La Paz County, AZ (see CAMA)
Buckeye #1, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 530 Germans)
Buckeye #2, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 530 Germans)
(CAMA) California-Arizona Manuever Area, 800 Italians)
Casa Grande #1, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 500 Germans)
Casa Grande #2, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 450 Germans)
Continental, Pima County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 150 Germans)
Cortaro, Pima County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 300 Germans)
Cotton Center, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Panago Park, AZ, 300 Germans)
Davis-Monthan Army Air Base, Tucson, Pima County, AZ (base camp, 400 Germans), now Davis-Monthan Air Force Base
Duncan, Graham County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, sometimes Florence, AZ, 200 Germans)
Eleven Mile Corner, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 300 Germans)
Eloy #1, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, sometimes Florence, AZ, 530 Germans)
Eloy #2, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, sometimes Florence, AZ, 1078 Germans)
Fennemore, Maricopa County, AZ
Florence (Camp), Florence, Pinal County, AZ (base camp, 5500 Germans), now Arizona State Prison
Horn (Camp), Yuma County, AZ - 10 miles north of Dateland. (see CAMA)
Hyder (Camp), Yuma County, AZ - 10 miles north of Dateland. (see CAMA)
Litchfield Park, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 850 Germans)
Luke (Frank) Field, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 225 Germans), now Luke Air Force Base
Maricopa, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 315 Germans)
McDowell Road, Phoenix, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, AZ, 120 Italians)
Mesa, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 350 Germans)
Mt. Graham, Graham County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 250 Germans)
Navajo Ordnance Depot, Bellemont, Coconino County, AZ (base camp, 250 Germans) now Camp Navajo
Papago Park POW Camp, Papago Park, Maricopa County, AZ (see Pima) Parker, La Paz County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 175 Germans)
Pima Prisoner of War Camp, Papago Park, Maricopa County, AZ (base camp, 1800 Germans), bought by the City of Phoenix in 1959
Queen Creek, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 350 Germans)
Roll, Yuma County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, sometimes Florence)
Safford, Graham County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 150 Germans)
Tolleson, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, AZ, 293 Italians)
Yuma, Yuma County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 350 Germans)
Yuma Test Station, Yuma, Yuma County, AZ (base camp, 650 Italians)

Old 07-30-2011, 07:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post

Cotton Center, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Panago Park, AZ, 300 Germans)
Davis-Monthan Army Air Base, Tucson, Pima County, AZ (base camp, 400 Germans), now Davis-Monthan Air Force Base
Duncan, Graham County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, sometimes Florence, AZ, 200 Germans)
Eloy #1, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, sometimes Florence, AZ, 530 Germans)
Eloy #2, Pinal County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, sometimes Florence, AZ, 1078 Germans)
Florence (Camp), Florence, Pinal County, AZ (base camp, 5500 Germans), now Arizona State Prison
Luke (Frank) Field, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, 225 Germans), now Luke Air Force Base
McDowell Road, Phoenix, Maricopa County, AZ (branch camp under Florence, AZ, 120 Italians)
Navajo Ordnance Depot, Bellemont, Coconino County, AZ (base camp, 250 Germans) now Camp Navajo
Papago Park POW Camp, Papago Park, Maricopa County, AZ (see Pima) Parker, La Paz County, AZ (branch camp under Pima, 175 Germans)
Pima Prisoner of War Camp, Papago Park, Maricopa County, AZ (base camp, 1800 Germans), bought by the City of Phoenix in 1959
This is a Phoenix thread, remember.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertratz View Post

wow, that is a long list of camps. I did not realized that Az. had so many. The Papago Park camp is the one that is not a National Guard site. I believe there were about eight or nine German's who escaped from there by digging a tunnel.

Arizona also had at least one relocation camp for American/Japanese citizens during WWII.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
wow, that is a long list of camps. I did not realized that Az. had so many. The Papago Park camp is the one that is not a National Guard site. I believe there were about eight or nine German's who escaped from there by digging a tunnel.

Arizona also had at least one relocation camp for American/Japanese citizens during WWII.

Yes, they planned on going down a nearby river they saw on a map in a boat. The Salt River. Whoops.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:06 PM

20 posts, read 64,272 times
Quote:
Further up the block on 16th street was another Drug Store which now is an Adult movie place. Does anyone have pictures or know the name of that Drug store. I think it is across the street from a used car lot. Jack in the box built their first fast food resturant across the street in the 60's. They tore that down and built another one in its same place.

On about 9th street and Van Burean was the Prime Rib. I had my first date there in the 60's, a double date with my brother and his best friend. Later in the mid 70's my sister married the cook who worked at the Prime Rib, Les Newtons. The Newtons owned several resturants at that time. A Mexican resturant at Park Central and the Beef Eaters I believe in Cambelback.

I remeber this quite well. I used to cross 16th street at the Roosevelt intercention on the way to Garfield school and remember how slippery the streets were as the cars ran over the multitude of locust.

I do believe that is Monroe school in the background of one of the pictures. The other picture has a lot of eating places across the street from Phoenix Union. I remeber in the early 60's there were several places to buy lunch around the school. they had a cafeteria but many students enjoyed buying lunch around the corner.
THe Drug store on the NW corner of 16St and Van Buren was called "Citrus Drugs". THe car lot you were referring to across the street from the Jack in the Box is Sarwark Motors.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 PM

20 posts, read 64,272 times
Quote:
I remeber there was a Kreskies (sp?) dime store that I used to shop on 16th street and Roosevelt next to a drug store. It was not an elaborate building. I wonder if that store was related to the stores Kress built.

No, he is no longer there. He left about 4 years ago.

My husband really enjoyed working with him and would come home with the most interesting stories for the days work.
The store on the NE corner of 16ST and Roosevelt was a K-Mart. Before that, it was a dirt field.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:51 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,549 times
Quote:
On the SE corner of 16th street and Roosvelt was a gas station and next to it was an old strip mall, that is about 4 stores with shared walls. The first store was a Drug store, the next was a dime store, I think was called Kreskies or something like that and there was a grocery store. The grovery store was not a chain store so I do not remember its name. There was no Lazy Lou's fish and chips there in the 50's or 60'.

I do remember a Lazy Lou's on the NW corner of 16th and Roosevelt, early 70's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area