Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlwrnc View Post
I was astonished at how clean, new and beautiful everything was. We settled in an area of South Phoenix where I wouldn't dare go now, but it was quiet and safe at the time--a working class neighborhood with lots of families living in neat small homes.
Where you wouldn't dare go now...I lived there then and my mother still lives there now. If you haven't been there you should keep away because no one there wants to see you anyway lol...There is nothing wrong with that area except people like you with their negative BS the crime rate is just as high in North Phoenix...Or do you not subscribe to statistics?

Last edited by observer53; 08-03-2011 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: fixed quote blocking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 07:04 AM

47 posts, read 152,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlwrnc View Post
I was astonished at how clean, new and beautiful everything was. We settled in an area of South Phoenix where I wouldn't dare go now, but it was quiet and safe at the time--a working class neighborhood with lots of families living in neat small homes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoleV View Post
Where you wouldn't dare go now...I lived there then and my mother still lives there now. If you haven't been there you should keep away because no one there wants to see you anyway lol...There is nothing wrong with that area except people like you with their negative BS the crime rate is just as high in North Phoenix...Or do you not subscribe to statistics?
South Phoenix is built up rather nicely and is almost an Awatukee on the other side of the mountain.

Last edited by observer53; 08-03-2011 at 07:21 AM.. Reason: fixed blocked quote formatting for clarity

Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Let's steer this thread back to topic. There are MANY other existing threads about the current state of various parts of "south Phoenix".

Last edited by observer53; 08-03-2011 at 07:26 AM..

Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,155,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneDeAz View Post
I found this pictue online and wonder if this is Montgomery Stadium of Phoenix Union High School. I attended there in the early 60's. I also remember having Christmas parties I think that were sponsored by the JC's. I think there is a Jr. High school there from the Phoenix elementary school District.I got this picture on a web site that speaks of PU Colored high school which was renamed Carver High school, which now is a museum. If this is from the Carver school than I think that they built it in the same image as the one for PUHS as it sure looks famliar. George Washington Carver Museum & Cultural Center - Phoenix, AZ
I keep thinking it's the old grandstands at the st. fairgrounds, before the roof was put on. It appears to be looking south, S. Mountain in the background, also you can see a plane coming in, (or maybe it's a UFO). ....Anyone else have a guess?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I keep thinking it's the old grandstands at the st. fairgrounds, before the roof was put on. It appears to be looking south, S. Mountain in the background, also you can see a plane coming in, (or maybe it's a UFO). ....Anyone else have a guess?
Nevermind....I already see I'm wrong

Old 08-03-2011, 11:44 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Yes, the fairgrounds one is MUCH larger than that. I'm thinking this looks high school size.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:08 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,136,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Attachment 83153Montgomery Stadium was huge, it had 4 stories of classrooms and was longer than the football field.
Montgomery Stadium was large enough to be the site of the Salad Bowl, which was held in the late 40s/early 50s. The Arizona State College Bulldogs (later ASU Sun Devils) and the UofA were participants. The link below has some interesting pics and a history of the game.

Montgomery Stadium and Salad Bowl

As a kid, I remember that there was a semi-pro team, the Phoenix Blazers, who played at Montgomery. One of the heroes of the 1970 Peach Bowl, "Spaghetti Joe" Spagnola ended up playing for them.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Montgomery Stadium was large enough to be the site of the Salad Bowl, which was held in the late 40s/early 50s. The Arizona State College Bulldogs (later ASU Sun Devils) and the UofA were participants. The link below has some interesting pics and a history of the game.

Montgomery Stadium and Salad Bowl

As a kid, I remember that there was a semi-pro team, the Phoenix Blazers, who played at Montgomery. One of the heroes of the 1970 Peach Bowl, "Spaghetti Joe" Spagnola ended up playing for them.
wow..Spaghetti Joe...forgot about him! There was a bar I used to go to in the mid '70's called The Gopher Club, 24th st. and Osborn, Speghetti Joe worked there as a bartender for awhile. I didnt know who he was till someone told me. I do remember him as being a nice and friendly guy!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:38 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoleV View Post
I thought south side looked pretty good compared to the '60's...it looks like a lot of the old stuff has been torn down and replaced. I thought it had improved.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM

427 posts, read 1,186,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Let's steer this thread back to topic. There are MANY other existing threads about the current state of various parts of "south Phoenix".
What's the topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area