Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 01:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
There was a Serrano's store next to the Basha's and a Yellow Front store beside that. I still see a Serrano's on Gilbert Rd. Is that the same sort of Business? I hope this remodel will help with the gentrification of the area. 32nd. St. becomes hopeless as you get near Thomas Rd. It is rampant with drugs and prostitution. Pedestrians like to cross 32nd. (Jaywalking) in the dark, and are hit by cars that can't see them in the dark.

That was a clothing (primarily) store. The only Serrano's I know of now is a local restaurant chain; there is one on Val Vista in Gilbert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 02:51 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
Default 75th Ave & Camelback Rd

Does anybody remember jumping in the canal here?

Homeward Stretch by res1due, on Flickr

Way back in the 70s we used to drive here. The only thing around was that convenience store. We would jump in the canal above the intersection and body surf or slide under the intersection. Somebody had tied a rope to the side of the canal and we would pull ourselves out on this side. Things have really changed since then.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:30 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

Way back in the 70s we used to drive here. The only thing around was that convenience store. We would jump in the canal above the intersection and body surf or slide under the intersection. Somebody had tied a rope to the side of the canal and we would pull ourselves out on this side. Things have really changed since then.
Where is that at? Around 44th Street?

Old 05-30-2016, 09:55 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,221,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
Where is that at? Around 44th Street?
75th Ave & Camelback.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 AM

31 posts, read 27,729 times
Sorry, and I hope I am not bothering anyone. I have not been able to log in for quite a while due to illness and now I do not see the usual postings by Roosevelt. Is he all right?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:10 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Wing View Post
Sorry, and I hope I am not bothering anyone. I have not been able to log in for quite a while due to illness and now I do not see the usual postings by Roosevelt. Is he all right?
wondering about him, too.....great resource for this forum.....

his "last activity" here on the forum was January 11, 2016.....hmmmm

Old 06-02-2016, 03:40 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post

LMAO!! Kids use to swim in all the canals back then. They don't let them now. We use to catch crawdads in there.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
wondering about him, too.....great resource for this forum.....

his "last activity" here on the forum was January 11, 2016.....hmmmm
I always get nervous when a regular poster goes missing. Hopefully, they are just smart enough to get off the net. I hope they are alright.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 PM

214 posts, read 646,577 times
40 years ago today (June 4, 1976), the Phoenix Suns played the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. It is considered to be one of the greatest NBA Finals game in history. Still makes me sad that the Suns lost that triple overtime thriller.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:16 PM

53 posts, read 129,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby sinister View Post
40 years ago today (June 4, 1976), the Phoenix Suns played the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals. It is considered to be one of the greatest NBA Finals game in history. Still makes me sad that the Suns lost that triple overtime thriller.
Me too!
I was not quite 12 years old, and I remember EVERYONE in the city of Phoenix was glued to their tv set during those finals.

Fast forward 17 years and the Suns were in the finals again in 1993 against the Chicago Bulls.
I firmly believe we would have won the championship that year, if not for the fact that the Bulls had probably the best player in NBA history, Michael Jordan, on their roster. I remember watching in horror as Danny Ainge inexplicably backed off on John Paxson, as Paxson hit the 3-pointer that won the series. <sigh>

In 2009 the Arizona Cardinals had the lead in the Super Bowl against the Pittsburgh Steelers, with just over 3 minutes left in the game. Unfortunately our defense gave up the winning touchdown to the Steelers Santonio Holmes. It's regarded as one of the best Super Bowls ever, but watching us lose that game after being ahead late in the game, just about ripped my heart out.

Luckily we at least have one championship in the state of Arizona: the 2001 Arizona Diamondbacks!
In a World Series that went 7 games and is also regarded as one of the best, the D-Backs beat the NY Yankees with our unstoppable one-two pitching punch of Randy Johnson & Curt Schilling.
Hearing the final call of Luis Gonzalez getting the game winning RBI off Mariano Rivera in the bottom of the ninth still gives me goosebumps!

We definitely need more championships here in AZ.
As of this writing (June 2016), I think our best chance of another championship lies with the AZ Cardinals.
I think they're very close but only time will tell.

As a lifelong Phoenician, I root for all four of our pro sports teams....and I encourage everyone else to do the same!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area